Posted to rec.audio.tech
izms izms is offline

Default Electret condenser microphone voltage conversion

First and foremost, I am no electrical engineer, a far cry from it
actually. Years ago I assembled a DIY electret condenser microphone
with external power supply using a 9V battery and loved its
performance. I am curious if there are any power converters small
enough to convert 48V down to 9V or less, that way I could eliminate
the external supply and have the element and converter in one assembly
(like a standard pencil condenser microphone). The key here is to
eliminate the bulk and keep the microphone as small as possible.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"izms" wrote in message

First and foremost, I am no electrical engineer, a far
cry from it actually. Years ago I assembled a DIY
electret condenser microphone with external power supply
using a 9V battery and loved its performance. I am
curious if there are any power converters small enough to
convert 48V down to 9V or less, that way I could
eliminate the external supply and have the element and
converter in one assembly (like a standard pencil
condenser microphone). The key here is to eliminate the
bulk and keep the microphone as small as possible.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to convert 48 volts to 9, it is a pretty simple problem.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...c/zenereg.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"izms" wrote ...
First and foremost, I am no electrical engineer, a far cry from it
actually. Years ago I assembled a DIY electret condenser microphone
with external power supply using a 9V battery and loved its
performance. I am curious if there are any power converters small
enough to convert 48V down to 9V or less, that way I could eliminate
the external supply and have the element and converter in one assembly
(like a standard pencil condenser microphone). The key here is to
eliminate the bulk and keep the microphone as small as possible.

There are many circuits for interfacing electret capsules to balanced
mic lines and powering the whole thing with phantom power. Most of
these circuits are likely out on the internet. A couple good places to
start are Rick Chinn's website (http://www.uneeda-audio.com/) and
the Micbuilders group on Yahoo Groups.

Most of them are variations on this theme (active) ...
http://www.scotthelmke.com/phantom-power-2.jpg
Or this one (passive)...
http://www.ka-electronics.com/DC_Pre...t_Internal.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"izms" wrote in message

First and foremost, I am no electrical engineer, a far
cry from it actually. Years ago I assembled a DIY
electret condenser microphone with external power supply
using a 9V battery and loved its performance. I am
curious if there are any power converters small enough to
convert 48V down to 9V or less, that way I could
eliminate the external supply and have the element and
converter in one assembly (like a standard pencil
condenser microphone). The key here is to eliminate the
bulk and keep the microphone as small as possible.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to convert 48 volts to 9, it is a pretty simple problem.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...c/zenereg.html

**A zener regulator may exhibit far too much noise for such an application.
Much better to use a proper low noise regulator, possibly based on a LM317 +
high Voltage pass transistor. Bigger and more complex, but far lower noise
levels. In fact, I've built a few such regulators (for reducing phantom
power to 9 or 12 Volts) and enjoyed great success. Due to the very low
currents, the whole lot can be assembled on a small PCB and contained within
ehat shrink.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone and Edirol R-09 Ed Wicks Pro Audio 1 March 23rd 07 06:54 PM
SONY ECM-959A Electret Condenser Microphone Noam Pro Audio 0 February 26th 05 05:33 PM
Old Recording Made with Electret Condenser Mics Sounds Nearly as Good as State of Art Current Digital Recordings?!! Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Pro Audio 32 February 15th 05 12:42 AM
??? Electret Condenser Capsule??? Serge Stodolnik Pro Audio 3 February 14th 05 02:35 PM
FS: AKG C-501E / C-502E Electret Condenser Microphones, 3 Extra Capsules Mark Glinsky Pro Audio 0 August 3rd 03 03:21 AM