Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Phono preamps that are extremely excellent

Every REALLY good phono pre I have heard has been a simple, homebrew
affair tweaked around a specific cartridge and most were, if solid
state, battery powered. The tube ones had AC supplies but often ran
off factory built LAB supplies left intact and unmolested, with
additional filtering added in some cases. Some of these rigs looked
like the sardine cans Meat Loaf rigged up to Alice Cooper's PA in the
forgettable movie "Roadie".

The most expensive Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, ARC, conrad johnson,
or Krell products i have heard often worked perfectly well but NONE
have done what these simple homebrews did. None got to that first tier
level.

Now, a lot of the homebrews sucked **** through a straw, and a lot
were merely adequate, and some were quite good, but not magnificent.
But more than one or two have achieved the highest level of quality,
soundwise.

They were also a pain in the ass to live with, to be sure. They
lacked the convenience and idiotproofing features commercial goods
require to be merchantable, and they mostly looked like crap too. But
they really did what so many multi-thousand dollar products have
aspired to but never quite did.

There are several lessons in there. The situation is analogous to a
well made garage race car vs. a really expensive prestiege sports car.
The race car has little slicknness and is built like something you'd
build in a garage, a modern Lambo or Ferrari is perfect and
magnificently detailed. But the race car will WIN RACES and the
exotics won't, not without factory support and a fleet of 18 wheel
transports to haul it, and an unlimited budget.

The expensive cars and stereo gear are not really sold for or
intended to WIN THE RACE, they are sold to convey to their purchasers
that you _could_ win the race, and to make observers of their
purchasers think they are Big Winners with Big Wallets and Big Dicks.

It shouldn't be that way, you may say, and you could be right. But it
is that way.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 7, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:
[...]

I don't necessarily disagree with you there. Some of the best phono
preamps I've heard were little more than a printed PC board, a few dip
switches and a no-frills case. That includes models from Graham Slee,
Dynavector and Lehmann Audio. They all sound great and they're very
affordable. Then again, many phono preamps are nothing but those same
innards placed in a nice case with a thick faceplate and plenty of
blue LEDs. They cost double of what the others do, and they don't
necessarily sound any better. One well-known high-end manufacturer put
their phono preamp in the same chassis as one of their SS power amps.
Open up the case and there's a LOT of empty space. Price? $7000.

With affordable phono preamps, you're usually paying extra for such
conveniences as knobs on the front panel instead of dip switches, a
volume control and maybe an outboard power supply. The latter is a
very good idea IMO. I own and use the Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,
which is just a Black Cube with a hefty outboard power supply. I liked
the regular Black Cube at its price range, but it wasn't my favorite.
The SE, however, is a leader at its price point. It sounds MUCH better
than the regular, yet shares the same circuitry.

When it comes to phono pres, however, I do like a few tubes. The Nagra
preamps, for example, are simple but expensive. But I don't think I've
heard my rig sound better with any other pre.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 9, 11:41*am, ScottW wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:35*pm, Boon wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

*I always wanted a printed printed circuit board preamp with no
components save a dipswitch.

*Can you be any more technically illiterate? * I really don't see how..

I said "little more than." Could you be more illiterate illiterate?

Why do you keep embarrassing yourself like this?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Glanbrok[_2_] Glanbrok[_2_] is offline

Witless barked:

Some of the best phono preamps I've heard were little more than
a printed PC board, a few dip switches and a no-frills case.

*I always wanted a printed printed circuit board preamp with no
components save a dipswitch.

Bad doggie! Nobody said "Speak!"

*Can you be any more technically illiterate[sic]? * I really don't see how.

And yet ANOTHER common human word is added to the Witless Lexicon of
Ignorance.

A normal person would use a meaningful word, such as ignorant,
unschooled, or uninformed. But you're the one and only Scottie
Witlessmongrel, so nobody expects you to rise to the level of
competence in your barking.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said to duh-Scottie:

*Can you be any more technically illiterate? * I really don't see how.

I said "little more than." Could you be more illiterate illiterate?
Why do you keep embarrassing yourself like this?

I'm sure that's a rhetorical question. G

I've just been reading a dime novel in which a secondary character has
a severe case of Asperger's Syndrome. His symptoms are considerably
more pronounced than Scottie's. Assuming the author's portrayal is
accurate, I'd like to go on record in saying that although Witless is
quite the annoying little yapper, he copes pretty well with his mental
defect.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 12, 10:09*am, Glanbrok wrote:
Boon said to duh-Scottie:

*Can you be any more technically illiterate? * I really don't see how.

I said "little more than." Could you be more illiterate illiterate?
Why do you keep embarrassing yourself like this?

I'm sure that's a rhetorical question. G

I've just been reading a dime novel in which a secondary character has
a severe case of Asperger's Syndrome. His symptoms are considerably
more pronounced than Scottie's. Assuming the author's portrayal is
accurate, I'd like to go on record in saying that although Witless is
quite the annoying little yapper, he copes pretty well with his mental
defect.

ASD means autism spectrum disorder. Spectrum, of course, indicates a
matter of degree. Most people with Aspergers can function in their
everyday life, but their interpersonal relationships often involve
plenty of compromises. Scott is fairly high-functioning. In fact, he
may not even have received an official diagnosis since it's so hard to
obtain one as an adult (since most of the assessment tests are geared
toward kids). But Scott has never once denied that he has AS, so I'm
thinking he does know.

I was discussing Aspergers with someone recently, and they pointed out
that many cartoonists may have had AS, most notably Charles Schulz.
When you look at each kid in Peanuts, you see a kid with AS. Linus is
very intelligent but needs a security blanket, Schroeder can't tear
himself away from his piano, Lucy is antagonistic yet thinks she's the
most popular one in the group.

I found this very interesting...infinitely more entertaining than
Scott.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

[...]

Indeed. But how about Snoopy?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 14, 2:14*pm, Glanbrok wrote:

[...]

Snoopy had his **** together.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

When you look at each kid in Peanuts, you see a kid with AS. Linus is
very intelligent but needs a security blanket, Schroeder can't tear
himself away from his piano, Lucy is antagonistic yet thinks she's the
most popular one in the group.

I found this very interesting...infinitely more entertaining than
Scott.

Indeed. But how about Snoopy?

Snoopy had his **** together.

So you're going on the record with your opinion that cartoon beagles
are distinctly more rational than Usenet Yapperdogs? That's quite a
position to take from the safety of your reinforced lair.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 16, 10:50*am, Glanbrok wrote:
Boon said:

When you look at each kid in Peanuts, you see a kid with AS. Linus is
very intelligent but needs a security blanket, Schroeder can't tear
himself away from his piano, Lucy is antagonistic yet thinks she's the
most popular one in the group.

I found this very interesting...infinitely more entertaining than
Scott.

Indeed. But how about Snoopy?

Snoopy had his **** together.

So you're going on the record with your opinion that cartoon beagles
are distinctly more rational than Usenet Yapperdogs? That's *quite a
position to take from the safety of your reinforced lair.

Indeed. My will is strengthened by the fact that I had Scott pegged
all along. Bret denies his autism and Arny argued against my claims
that he had a narcissistic personality disorder (as if someone with
NPD would actually agree). But Scott runs away every time I bring up
AS. Bingo.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

Snoopy had his **** together.

So you're going on the record with your opinion that cartoon beagles
are distinctly more rational than Usenet Yapperdogs? That's *quite a
position to take from the safety of your reinforced lair.

Indeed. My will is strengthened by the fact that I had Scott pegged
all along. Bret denies his autism and Arny argued against my claims
that he had a narcissistic personality disorder (as if someone with
NPD would actually agree). But Scott runs away every time I bring up
AS. Bingo

I can easily imagine poor Scottie weeping in anguish every time you
push that button.

BTW, many practitioners in the field oppose lumping together all
patients in the "ASD" rubric. Your espousal of the lump-together
doctrine may get you in trouble with certain advocacy groups.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 16, 11:39*am, Glanbrok wrote:
Boon said:

Snoopy had his **** together.

So you're going on the record with your opinion that cartoon beagles
are distinctly more rational than Usenet Yapperdogs? That's *quite a
position to take from the safety of your reinforced lair.

Indeed. My will is strengthened by the fact that I had Scott pegged
all along. Bret denies his autism and Arny argued against my claims
that he had a narcissistic personality disorder (as if someone with
NPD would actually agree). But Scott runs away every time I bring up
AS. Bingo

I can easily imagine poor Scottie weeping in anguish every time you
push that button.

BTW, many practitioners in the field oppose lumping together all
patients in the "ASD" rubric. Your espousal of the lump-together
doctrine may get you in trouble with certain advocacy groups.

There's a definitely a new wave of thinking toward AS and that it
doesn't really belong in the ASD group. Some mental health experts
believe it's more of a "difference" in thought processes than a true
disorder. Nevertheless, people with AS are at a definite disadvantage
when it comes to functioning in modern society. To me, it's on the
same level as dyslexia or other similar disorders. It can be overcome,
but only with assistance from others. (They have to act as a
"buffer"sometimes between the person with AS and the rest of the
world.)

There is certainly a difference between Bret and Scott in this regard.
Bret seems to exhibit signs of autism rather than AS, since he
continues to post OT regardless of how others respond. Scott can be
discouraged, which means he's still looking for some level of
interaction with others.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

BTW, many practitioners in the field oppose lumping together all
patients in the "ASD" rubric. Your espousal of the lump-together
doctrine may get you in trouble with certain advocacy groups.

There is certainly a difference between Bret and Scott in this regard.
Bret seems to exhibit signs of autism rather than AS, since he
continues to post OT regardless of how others respond. Scott can be
discouraged, which means he's still looking for some level of
interaction with others.

Yes. Well, I have to observe that nobody on Usenet has ever been able
to train Witlessmongrel to stop being a bad doggie. But that doesn't
mean you should quit trying.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 16, 4:20*pm, Glanbrok wrote:
Boon said:

BTW, many practitioners in the field oppose lumping together all
patients in the "ASD" rubric. Your espousal of the lump-together
doctrine may get you in trouble with certain advocacy groups.

There is certainly a difference between Bret and Scott in this regard.
Bret seems to exhibit signs of autism rather than AS, since he
continues to post OT regardless of how others respond. Scott can be
discouraged, which means he's still looking for some level of
interaction with others.

Yes. Well, I have to observe that nobody on Usenet has ever been able
to train Witlessmongrel to stop being a bad doggie. But that doesn't
mean you should quit trying.

Everytime I bring his AS up, he takes a break. It's been four days
since he's posted on Usenet since I made that last post above. I think
we found a temporary way to deal with him.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

BTW, many practitioners in the field oppose lumping together all
patients in the "ASD" rubric. Your espousal of the lump-together
doctrine may get you in trouble with certain advocacy groups.
There is certainly a difference between Bret and Scott in this regard.
Bret seems to exhibit signs of autism rather than AS, since he
continues to post OT regardless of how others respond. Scott can be
discouraged, which means he's still looking for some level of
interaction with others.

Yes. Well, I have to observe that nobody on Usenet has ever been able
to train Witlessmongrel to stop being a bad doggie. But that doesn't
mean you should quit trying.

Everytime I bring his AS up, he takes a break. It's been four days
since he's posted on Usenet since I made that last post above. I think
we found a temporary way to deal with him.

*I was out of town. *I wonder what kind of syndrome is demonstrated by
wasting a fine holiday weekend engaging in boring, immature debating
trade and trolling?

No, you're right. It's best to save that for the moment you return.

All you manage to accomplish with your tripe is to show anyone who
cares (and I really doubt if anyone cares the slightest what you think
about anything) what a loser you are.

LOL!

BTW, really nice job of reforming RAO.
You've made Ferstler appear to be a wise man with virtually everyone
agreeing with his decision to get away from you.

"Virtually everyone."

Name, say, five.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Boon said:

[...]

I have no idea. I was in Corpus Christi attending the opening of a
music school. I stayed in a nice hotel on the beach and had a
wonderful time.

All you manage to accomplish with your tripe is to show anyone who
cares (and I really doubt if anyone cares the slightest what you think
about anything) what a loser you are.

I think you're the only one who thinks that. You, a person who is
equally disliked on two Usenet forums. We could always start following
the Padres forum and see how you do there as well.

BTW, really nice job of reforming RAO.

Thank you. I see more audio content now, and less of you.

You've made Ferstler appear to be a wise man with virtually everyone
agreeing with his decision to get away from you.

Other than you, who would think that?

There's been a lot of music and audio discussions in your absence. As
long as you stay away and stop trolling the group, I think it will
continue to get better.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Boon said:

[...]

Scott. Arny. PLF. Howard.

I need one more.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Boon said:

[...]

How do you and Bratzi get along?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Feb 17, 12:19*pm, ScottW wrote:

BTW, really nice job of reforming RAO.
You've made Ferstler appear to be a wise man with virtually everyone
agreeing with his decision to get away from you.

"Virtually everyone."

Name, say, five.

Scott. Arny. PLF. Howard.

I need one more.

How do you and Bratzi get along?

Bingo. Five.

I guess 2pid was right after all. "Virtually everyone" hates you. LoL.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
On Feb 17, 12:19*pm, ScottW wrote:
BTW, really nice job of reforming RAO.
You've made Ferstler appear to be a wise man with virtually everyone
agreeing with his decision to get away from you.

"Virtually everyone."

Name, say, five.

Scott. Arny. PLF. Howard.

I need one more.

How do you and Bratzi get along?

Bingo. Five.

I guess 2pid was right after all. "Virtually everyone" hates you. LoL.

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Le 18/02/2010 17:31, MiniBoon a écrit :

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

If only your ego had also made a diet...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Le 18/02/2010 05:54, MiniBoon a écrit :

Bingo. Five.

Six.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Le 18/02/2010 17:31, Boon a écrit :

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

I must recognize that I'm not really assiduous on RAO but I cannot
remember that "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" nor "George Minus
Middious" have already participated to a serious audio discussions.

IMHO if you want to insist in this way you'd better purchase armored
shorts... ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 19, 1:10*pm, Lionel wrote:
Le 18/02/2010 17:31, Boon a écrit :

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

I must recognize that I'm not really assiduous on RAO but I cannot
remember that "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" nor "George Minus
Middious" have already participated to a serious audio discussions.

IMHO if you want to insist in this way you'd better purchase armored
shorts... ;-)

Sorry, but that makes no sense in English.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 19, 12:56*pm, Lionel wrote:
Le 18/02/2010 05:54, MiniBoon a écrit :

Bingo. Five.

Six.

You do not count.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 19, 12:46*pm, Lionel wrote:
Le 18/02/2010 17:31, MiniBoon a crit :

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

If only your ego had also made a diet...

That makes no sense in English.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 19, 2:16*pm, Boon wrote:

IMHO if you want to insist in this way you'd better purchase armored
shorts... ;-)

Sorry, but that makes no sense in English.

That means Slut's post was a complete "success".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Feb 17, 12:19*pm, ScottW wrote:
BTW, really nice job of reforming RAO.
You've made Ferstler appear to be a wise man with virtually everyone
agreeing with his decision to get away from you.

"Virtually everyone."

Name, say, five.

Scott. Arny. PLF. Howard.

I need one more.

How do you and Bratzi get along?

Bingo. Five.

I guess 2pid was right after all. "Virtually everyone" hates you. LoL.

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

I'm OK wih just 2pid.

As long as he hates me I win.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 19, 1:10*pm, Lionel wrote:
Le 18/02/2010 17:31, Boon a écrit :

Virtually everyone here who doesn't discuss audio hates me. Hmmm. I
can live with that.

I must recognize that I'm not really assiduous on RAO but I cannot
remember that "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" nor "George Minus
Middious" have already participated to a serious audio discussions.

IMHO if you want to insist in this way you'd better purchase armored
shorts... ;-)

Define "serious audio discussion".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 19, 1:17*pm, Boon wrote:
On Feb 19, 12:56*pm, Lionel wrote:

Le 18/02/2010 05:54, MiniBoon a écrit :

Bingo. Five.

Six.

You do not count.

LOL!

Sorry: USB Phono preamps coreybenson Pro Audio 19 December 12th 06 08:59 PM
FS: PS Audio 4.5 preamp with phono Excellent Condition Record Ho! Marketplace 12 July 19th 04 08:00 AM
FS: PS Audio 4.5 preamp with phono Excellent Condition Record Ho! Marketplace 0 July 18th 04 04:12 PM
Phono Preamps Larry B General 0 May 19th 04 03:16 PM
FA: Nad 1020 Preamplifier with Excellent Phono Stage telefunkenfan Marketplace 0 April 5th 04 07:11 AM