Posted to rec.audio.tech
ShadowTek ShadowTek is offline

Default What speakers can I use with my 4 ohm amp?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 as the output for my computer's
audio. If I can,
I would like to replace those 4 satalite speakers with
the ones that I have left over from an RCA RV-9967 receiver, but I'm not
sure if that would be okay.

The 4 satalite speakers that came with the FPS2000 have 10watt @ 4ohm
stamped on the magnet. There is no detailed documentation for the amp
that comes with it, so I can only guess at the amp's rating based on the
speakers that came with it.

The 4 speakers from the RCA receiver that I would like to replace
them with are its two fronts (50 watts @ 8 ohm) and its two rears (25
watts @ 16 ohm).

Considering that the FPS2000's amp appears to have been designed for 4
ohm speakers, could I still use the 8 and 16 ohm speakers with it?

Would that harm the speakers or the amp to do that?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2/8/2010 4:05 PM ShadowTek spake thus:

Considering that the FPS2000's amp appears to have been designed for 4
ohm speakers, could I still use the 8 and 16 ohm speakers with it?

Would that harm the speakers or the amp to do that?

Won't harm the amp, as it will basically be underloaded. You might
notice lower volume with the higher-impedance speakers.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

ShadowTek wrote:
I have a Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 as the output for my computer's
audio. If I can,
I would like to replace those 4 satalite speakers with
the ones that I have left over from an RCA RV-9967 receiver, but I'm
not sure if that would be okay.

The 4 satalite speakers that came with the FPS2000 have 10watt @ 4ohm
stamped on the magnet. There is no detailed documentation for the amp
that comes with it, so I can only guess at the amp's rating based on
the speakers that came with it.

The 4 speakers from the RCA receiver that I would like to replace
them with are its two fronts (50 watts @ 8 ohm) and its two rears (25
watts @ 16 ohm).

Considering that the FPS2000's amp appears to have been designed for 4
ohm speakers, could I still use the 8 and 16 ohm speakers with it?

Would that harm the speakers or the amp to do that?

No, the only potential harm would be if using speakers of *lower*
impedence.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2010-02-09, geoff wrote:

No, the only potential harm would be if using speakers of *lower*
impedence.

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

On 2010-02-09, geoff wrote:

No, the only potential harm would be if using speakers of *lower*
impedence.

Thanks

No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual unregulated power
supply, and usually more than half on a continuous basis in any case.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

MrT.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all. The maxiumum power output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was specced
at, probably around half.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:46:02 +1300, geoff wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

MrT.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all. The maxiumum power output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was specced
at, probably around half.

Half the resistance and the power at the point where the amp
begins to clip will be halved.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

MrT.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all. The maxiumum power output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was specced
at, probably around half.

Half the resistance and the power at the point where the amp
begins to clip will be halved.

doh. I mean, double the resistance and the power will be halved.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all.

Better read some real life specs then. The power rating will *almost always*
depend on the rated impedance, with any manufacturer worth a dime giving you
specs for 4 and 8 ohms, and for those amps that can handle it, 2 ohms.

The maxiumum power output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was

specced
at, probably around half.

I'm glad you used "probably", since that doesn't actually contradict what I
wrote.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all. The maxiumum power

output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was

specced
at, probably around half.

Half the resistance and the power at the point where the amp
begins to clip will be halved.

If only it were as simple as you! What part of "for the usual unregulated
power supply", and for real life transformer losses and for actual
*transistor load curves*, and for heatsink/cooling design compromises
affecting continuous power output are you unfamiliar with?
Better to not comment on things you are unfamiliar with IMO.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Half the resistance and the power at the point where the amp
begins to clip will be halved.

doh!

You got that last bit right at least

I mean, double the resistance and the power will be halved.

For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world things get
slightly more complicated.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:04:31 +1100, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Half the resistance and the power at the point where the amp
begins to clip will be halved.

doh!

You got that last bit right at least

I mean, double the resistance and the power will be halved.

For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world things get
slightly more complicated.

Not really. if you've ever in your life looked at an amp's
specficiations given for 4 and 8 ohm loads, the 4 ohm load's power is
about double.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

AZ Nomad wrote:

For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world things
get slightly more complicated.

Not really. if you've ever in your life looked at an amp's
specficiations given for 4 and 8 ohm loads, the 4 ohm load's power is
about double.

Nope, 1.6 times 8 Ohm power in 4 Ohm is a better real world first
guesstimate.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
No harm, but keep in mind that the power rating of the amp will be
halved.

*Less*, but not necessarily half for an amp with the usual
unregulated power supply, and usually more than half on a continuous
basis in any case.

The amp's power 'rating' won't be changed at all.

Better read some real life specs then. The power rating will *almost
always* depend on the rated impedance, with any manufacturer worth a
dime giving you specs for 4 and 8 ohms, and for those amps that can
handle it, 2 ohms.

Yep, and those ratings won't be changed.

The maxiumum power output
will be somewhat lower than that with the impedence speakers it was
specced at, probably around half.

I'm glad you used "probably", since that doesn't actually contradict
what I wrote.

Just expanding a little on what you wrote.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world things get
slightly more complicated.

Not really. if you've ever in your life looked at an amp's
specficiations

Why not try looking at some ACTUAL test results instead.
(Or if you had any idea how to, you could try making some measurements of
your own.)

given for 4 and 8 ohm loads, the 4 ohm load's power is
about double.

Yes, ABOUT. At least you now agree things are a little more complicated than
you first thought.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:50:26 +1100, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world things get
slightly more complicated.

Not really. if you've ever in your life looked at an amp's
specficiations

Why not try looking at some ACTUAL test results instead.
(Or if you had any idea how to, you could try making some measurements of
your own.)

given for 4 and 8 ohm loads, the 4 ohm load's power is
about double.

Yes, ABOUT. At least you now agree things are a little more complicated than
you first thought.

Yes, "about". An 100W amp at 4 ohms may do about 60W at 8
ohms

Why are you so ****ing anal about wether or not it is exactly half?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2/11/2010 7:21 PM AZ Nomad spake thus:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

For those living in virtual reality anyway. In the real world
things get slightly more complicated.

Not really. if you've ever in your life looked at an amp's
specficiations

Why not try looking at some ACTUAL test results instead. (Or if you
had any idea how to, you could try making some measurements of your
own.)

given for 4 and 8 ohm loads, the 4 ohm load's power is
about double.

Yes, ABOUT. At least you now agree things are a little more
complicated than you first thought.

Yes, "about". An 100W amp at 4 ohms may do about 60W at 8
ohms

Why are you so ****ing anal about wether or not it is exactly half?

It's in his job description, apparently.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.tech

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:50:26 +1100, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

Yes, ABOUT. At least you now agree things are a little more
complicated than you first thought.

Yes, "about". An 100W amp at 4 ohms may do about 60W at 8
ohms

Why are you so ****ing anal about wether or not it is exactly half?

Because thinking it ought to be "about" or "exactly" half indicates a less
than complete oomprehension of how a "standard" poweramp with an unregulated
powersupply works.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Why are you so ****ing anal about wether or not it is exactly half?

Because thinking it ought to be "about" or "exactly" half indicates a less
than complete oomprehension of how a "standard" poweramp with an

unregulated
powersupply works.

Thanks Peter, I'm glad someone realises pointing out incorrect, unqualified
statements is not just "****ing anal", even if those who are wrong like to
justify it to themselves that way.

MrT.