Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default New speakers for Little Willy

Some time ago I bought a Fountek parts kit from Madisound to build a
pair of bookshelf speakers, and after searching for appropriate cabs
at a reasonable price for a while without too much success finally
came across an astonishingly well built panel of cubes that had been
the car sound display wall at a local consumotronics retailer that
went tits up about a year and a half ago. I was able to pull out two
beautifully made three quarter boxes that appear to be solid laminated
fixture panel hardwood with walls 3/4 thick. I rabbeted out an inside
perimeter and had some Corian off-fall panels cut perfectly to fit. I
then assembled the speakers in this box , making the water volume of
the cabinet perfect to the specifications with a small wood piece
glued to the back.

Little Willy, my Williamson stereo amp, is driving them now. I'm
listening to the first two Pretenders albums. Chrissie is a ****, but
she's a sexually stimulating one (and she knows it) and she's in full
voice in 1980. The great James Honeyman Scott is on these tracks along
with drummer Martin Chambers and bassist Farndon. What I need now is a
universal player with a nice volume control so I don't need a preamp.
No one needs a preamp unless they play vinyl. I will probably just put
a stepped attenuator on Little Willy but it still annoys me. The bass
isn't exactly huge, but overall the sound is surprisingly full.