Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Movies of the 00s

Steve Sailer has an interesting column on his blog about the films of
this decade. I have to say that I think the decade was a pretty crappy
one for films, the 90s was actually substantially better.

There were a few bright points. I really liked Idiocracy, which is
proving prophetic as we now have our own real life President Camacho.
I also enjoyed the Johnny Depp remake of "Willy Wonka", which was
truer to the original book than was the first film. (Personally, I
think they should have went all the way and went with Mr. M. Manson...
but Depp did well.)

A more interesting question is which movies SHOULD have been made
that weren't?

Of course, I think that 'Cabaret' cries out for a rework, for the
same reasons as 'Wonka', only more so. Wilder's Wonka was most
inauthentic, yet charming, moving, and entertaining. Minnelli's Sally
Bowles is just, like any LMM role, Liza, and the problem is that
Bowles was very un-Liza, even anti-Liza. More to the point, the film
has a message that needs to be heard, and that of course is the very
reason it isn't going to be remade.

"The Fast and the Furious" proves that racing movies are still
viable. But what a ****ty kind of racing. Many of the grassroots kinds
of motorsport offer fertile fields to the film maker and the
novelist, and there should be two or three good films there that offer
plenty of action potential as well as a good story.

WWII has been beaten to death, but Korea and the Cold War interregnum
are still fertile ground. A GOOD movie about SAC in the 50s, telling
what couldn't be told then, or about the machinations Hyman Rickover
pulled in establishing his Nuclear Navy fiefdom could be a big win.

lactating movies izurewakaru Pro Audio 0 April 2nd 08 01:49 AM
Watch Movies and TV online [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 14th 08 03:12 PM
Hot movies Stud Pro Audio 0 January 5th 08 12:39 AM
How did they sync sound in old movies? Doc Pro Audio 58 December 17th 05 10:54 PM
Do you need subwoofer for music (no movies) MarcinK High End Audio 32 December 21st 03 12:26 AM