Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default What Matters, And What Doesn’t Matter, In The Fight For Patriotic Immigration Reform

(( This Thanksgiving I was thankful that Ted Kennedy was finally out
of the Senate, the fat old cocksucker. Next year we may see, by
election, retirement, or dropping over from old age, no more Specter,
no more Reid...and maybe some GOP pieces of **** like McCain may be
gone too. Bret.))

At Year’s End: What Matters, And What Doesn’t Matter, In The Fight For
Patriotic Immigration Reform

By Joe Guzzardi

"Two weeks ago, I encouraged my patriotic immigration reform friends: choose your battles wisely.

Since most of us will be engaged in the exhausting immigration
struggle for the rest of our lives, we need to marshal our emotions
for the big fights ahead—not waste energy getting into a lather over
the small, predictable annoyances.

Reader responses indicated that not everyone understood my point.

To clarify, I’ll detail exactly what I mean when I refer to things
that matter, as opposed to things that don’t during this never ending
battle.

Once you catch on, you’ll enjoy a Merrier Christmas.
What Doesn’t Matter:

* Any statement endorsing amnesty made by a well-known Open
Borders fanatics.

This includes the predictions that they regularly emit insisting that
so-called “comprehensive immigration reform” is on-track and will be
presented to Congress “soon.”

Here’s a recent example of how far out of their way amnesty loonies
will go to make their case. During her trip to the Philippines last
month, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton first urged Filipinos,
especially educated ones, to stay home to improve their country’s
quality of life.

Then, out of nowhere, came this from Clinton:

“We're hoping that we can achieve comprehensive immigration reform,
which is something that I feel strongly about. We have so many
priorities. I can't even adequately describe what it was like coming
into office eight years after the prior administration, when problems
have been stacked up. It felt like there were thousands of planes
circling in the air that we have to bring safely to a landing, and
immigration reforms is one of those. We hope to get to comprehensive
immigration reform and this issue will be part of the legislation that
we introduced.”

In Manila, 9,000 miles away from Washington, D.C. and immediately
after imparting the sensible advice that Filipinos should remain
behind, Clinton suddenly sounded like she was addressing the National
Council of La Raza.

Clinton’s ridiculous remarks served to entice millions more the
Filipinos to abandon their families, communities and country to take
jobs from U.S. workers.

At one time, Clinton’s speech might have alarmed me. Now I realize
that when the radical Left needs something to fill up air time, their
default subject is comprehensive immigration reform.

*

Any Obama appointment that brings a known Treason Lobbyist into
his inner circle.

In November 2008, when Obama appointed former La Raza senior vice
president Cecilia Munoz to the newly minted, meaningless, powerless
position of Director of Intergovernmental Affairs, a buzz ran through
the Internet.

But why? When was the last time you heard Munoz’s name? Be honest.

What real difference does it make if someone is physically on the
inside or has instant access to President Barack Obama from the
outside? In 2007, Janet Murguia, Munoz’s La Raza comrade worked hand
in hand with the Senate Judiciary Committee to draft Bush’s amnesty
proposal. It failed miserably.

*

Any more drivel about Lou Dobbs.

If Dobbs has changed his mind and boarded the amnesty express—which
many readers whose opinions I admire insist he has—then so what?

Dobbs has lost our favor without gaining standing in the opposing
camp. None among them would trust that Dobbs, after years of hammering
about illegal immigration, is sincere about his desire to grant
amnesty to aliens.

If private citizen and New Jersey resident Dobbs wants to vote to re-
elect to the Senate refugee champion Frank Lautenberg, let him. The
election will not be decided by one vote.

As far as I’m concerned, Dobbs did his job by pointing out to millions
of previously unenlightened Americans the consequences of unchecked
illegal immigration. That’s what matters.
What Does Matter

* The nearly decade-long failure by amnesty proponents to advance
their cause.

They have, actually, lost ground.

Recently, our success level, despite every conceivable obstacle, is
nothing short of amazing.

In 2007, during a still robust economy, amnesty-driven President
George W. Bush addressed the nation from Yuma, Arizona on the shared
U.S. and Mexico border.

Bush urged Americans to support comprehensive immigration reform.
Promoting “a practical answer” and working with a newly elected
Democratic Congress, equally devoted to amnesty, neither Bush nor the
Democrats could sell it. [Bush on the Border, Editorial, New York
Times, April 11, 2007]

The Democrats regrouped to try to market amnesty in bits and pieces,
specifically the DREAM Act and Ag Jobs legislation. They couldn’t even
get that through either.

*

In 2009, despite a House 81-seat Democratic advantage, no
comprehensive immigration reform bill has reached the floor.

Illinois Representative Luis Gutierrez promised to drop his version
three months ago. The White House, which already has a plate full of
unpopular causes, may have stymied Gutierrez. Or perhaps Gutierrez is
smart enough to realize that he doesn’t have the votes.

Like the White House, Gutierrez also has unpleasant distractions that
might come into play in 2010. A pending investigation by Federal
authorities into a loan Gutierrez received from a real estate
developer/campaign contributor may surface during his re-election
effort. [Congressman’s $200,000 Loan, by Robert Becker, Chicago
Tribune, October 28, 2009]

*

No serious Senate interest in Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Chuck Schumer, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Sub-Committee on
Immigration, Refugees and Border Security, held rigged hearings (a
familiar but always unsuccessful ploy), where testimony in favor of
amnesty overwhelmed Kris Kobach’s lone dissenting view.

But the net result: nothing.

*

Senator Ted Kennedy’s death.

In the scheme of defeating comprehensive immigration reform, Kennedy’s
absence from the Congressional debate is a huge plus for us. Even
Schumer, his Judiciary replacement, admits that his Senate influence
will never equal Kennedy’s.

*

The very real prospect that some of amnesty’s most vocal Senate
voices may be defeated in 2010.

Pennsylvania’s Arlen Specter, former Senate Judiciary Chairman and
Democrat turned Republican turned again Democrat, finds himself facing
an electorate where 67 percent of Democrats are “non-committal” toward
his candidacy. Of course, Specter has no support from his former
Republicans.

Connecticut’s Chris Dodd trails his likely Republican challenger Rob
Simmons by eleven points. Among the negatives that will haunt Dodd
leading up to November 2010 are his endorsement of controversial AIG
bonuses, his Countrywide VIP sweetheart mortgages and his cozy Wall
Street relationships, which turned voters off in Jon Corzine’s New
Jersey.

Best of all, Nevada’s Harry Reid is, to use a term the former boxer
would recognize, is “on the ropes.” Nevada, along with Michigan and
California, is one of the most economically devastated states.

In a recent polling, a majority of Nevadans pointed to Reid’s failure
to deliver on Obamacare as a sign that he’s a weak and ineffective
leader. Ninety-two percent of all Democrats viewed Reid unfavorably.

Interestingly, with his poll numbers in the tank, Reid has stopped
talking about delivering on his promise to pass comprehensive
immigration reform “this year”.

If in 2010 we get rid of one of the three pro-immigration Senate
Democrats, that’s good. Two would be great. Three, a strong
possibility, would be champagne-popping time!

Our most significant achievement this year is not only that there
won’t be amnesty anytime soon. That’s now considered conventional
wisdom (which you first read, if you’ll permit me, right here in my
columns)

More important is that the prevailing and increasingly entrenched
Congressional attitude about amnesty is that it’s a dog that has
nothing but political liability associated with it.

As defeated Texas Congressman Martin Frost replied when asked if 2009
is a good or bad year for immigration reform:

“No year is ever a good year to seek immigration reform.”

All things considered, the patriotic immigration reformers’ position
is much stronger than that of the Treason Lobby."

http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/091204_years_end.htm