Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Jecra@aol.com is offline

Default WMA CD player Changer Questions

Hi,
I'm looking for a multiple CD player
Hope someone can help me. I'm getting old and not a updated to new
technology.
I have found that I can load my commercially purchased CD's onto my
computer and then burn them in WMA format onto blank CDs. I can get
about 6 albums or 180 songs onto each disc in this format.
I can than take these discs to my car and play them on my car stereo.
In short I would like to do the same on a home stereo component, but
I'm having a hell of a time in Best Buy and PC Richard finding very
much that even looks like a CD player component.
I usually can't find a sales person.
When I found a salesperson in PC, he tried to interest me in a DVD
player. When I saw CD-R, CD-RW on the labeli asked does that mean it
will play WMA.---His answer --"not necessarily, it only means it can
play audio burned onto a CD"
So does CD-R, CD-RW mean it will play WMA ? or must the player
specifically be labeled for WMA ?
I'm looking for a CD changer:
-That holds least 3 discs
- That plays WMA format
- Has a read out showing what song (or file name) is playing
- Can hook up to my existing 15 year old receiver
Any help would be appreciated

Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
I'm looking for a multiple CD player
Hope someone can help me. I'm getting old and not a updated to new
technology.
I have found that I can load my commercially purchased CD's onto my
computer and then burn them in WMA format onto blank CDs. I can get
about 6 albums or 180 songs onto each disc in this format.
I can than take these discs to my car and play them on my car stereo.
In short I would like to do the same on a home stereo component,
Any help would be appreciated

It wouldn't surprise me if home component CD changers are
becoming extinct. And the number of home component CD
players (single or changers) that will play WMA is probably a
very very small number (or maybe even zero.)

The only explitit listing of devices known to play WMA files is
these DVD players. Dunno whether ANY of them are changers?
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?wma=1
The list shows 2748 DVD players that have been tested and
reported by actual users to play WMA files.

Most people play WMA (or MP3 or even WAV or FLAC)
directly from computers nowdays and that is why there are so
few (if any?) home CD players that do WMA. There are several
clever "component boxes" which are remote players that grab
music files from your computer (over your home LAN). These
things typically feature displays that show the name of the song,
artist, etc. and even remote controls.

The "new technology" that you think you haven't updated to
yet may already be beyond the era of the CD player. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
The only explitit listing of devices known to play WMA files is
these DVD players. Dunno whether ANY of them are changers?

Here is the link that shows you the 3-disc changers that are known
to play WMA files.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?wma=1&dvdchanger=3

There are five of them, but dunno whether any are still currently
for sale? You can vary the search parameters to show changers
of however many discs...

There are 78 players shown that are 5-disc changers and play WMA.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?wma=1&dvdchanger=5

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jul 22, 11:47�pm, "geoff" wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for a multiple CD player
Hope someone can help me. �I'm getting old and not a updated to new
technology.
I have found that I can load my commercially purchased CD's onto my
computer and then burn them in WMA format onto blank CDs. �I can get
about 6 albums or 180 songs onto each disc in this format.
I can than take these discs to my car and play them on my car stereo.

http://tinyurl.com/lh558y

At your age you may still even prefer the uncompromised �versions of the
original CDs on a home system, whereas in a car it may not matter so much..

geoff

Thanks Geoff,

First, that animated "Let me Google that for You" gimmick was
really cool, but I had googled, searched E-Bay and Best-Buy.com with
few results SPECIFYING wma. Using Google is "Not so hard" , however
what my question was trying to ask was did wma need to be specified or
was it something I could take for granted within the CD-R, CD-RW
compatibility phrase. btw with the exception of the Denon system at
BestBuy.com everything showing up on the Google search is for car
stereo as one of the other posters pointed out. So my question was not
only about availablity but technology, compatibility, labeling and
phraseology

Thanks again to everyone ;-)
Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jul 23, 12:12�pm, wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for a multiple CD player
Hope someone can help me. I'm getting old and not a updated to new
technology.
I have found that I can load my commercially purchased CD's onto my
computer and then burn them in WMA format onto blank CDs. I can get
about 6 albums or 180 songs onto each disc in this format.
I can than take these discs to my car and play them on my car stereo.

btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Jim
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about. If you want to dump
the spam, then dump Google.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about. If you want to dump
the spam, then dump Google.

I thought he meant all the spam posts. Show up on Giganews....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"geoff" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about. If you want to dump
the spam, then dump Google.

I thought he meant all the spam posts. Show up on Giganews....

The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam. For example BOTH of the services I use
(Supernews and Individual.net) automatically filter out the Google
spam.

For that matter, many individual users just filter out EVERYTHING
from Google Groups (and/or from someone with a gmail address).

Google has really made a major mess out of Usenet newsgroups.
There are conspiracy theorists who think this wasn't by accident.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam.

No, from ... 126.com I think ... chinese no doubt, at a non-polite guess
prolly oem manufacturers selling from the back door without paying their
dues.

Google has really made a major mess out of Usenet newsgroups.
There are conspiracy theorists who think this wasn't by accident.

They pretend ownership. Somebody with a pile of money should sue them on
Droit Morale and misreprensation - the danish term would translate literally
to False in business sense, but there may be a different english expression
for misrepresentation of goods. The also pay God and Everyman for including
their sp.. no toolbar in a viral like manner. In my word they rank just
below realmedia on the list of companies with no business ethics, but
Facebook have moved to the top, so the list of Evil Empires becomes:
Facebook, Realmedia, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft actually goes somewhere
further down the list, I liked their business ways better with Mr. Gates at
the helm btw.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 7/23/2009 6:35 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

"geoff" wrote ...

Richard Crowley wrote:

wrote ...

btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about. If you want to dump
the spam, then dump Google.

I thought he meant all the spam posts. Show up on Giganews....

The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam.

Mine doesn't, fortunately; I don't want my ISP making decisions about
what I should or should not see. (My actual news server is apparently
Verizon's.)

Google has really made a major mess out of Usenet newsgroups.

Yep.

There are conspiracy theorists who think this wasn't by accident.

One has to wonder; I mean, those folks at Google aren't exactly dummies,
right?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 7/23/2009 8:45 PM Peter Larsen spake thus:

Richard Crowley wrote:

The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam.

No, from ... 126.com I think [...]

As well as 163.com. Love those wonderfully descriptive domains these
mother****ers hide behind.

... chinese no doubt, at a non-polite guess

Yep, as an impolite agreement.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...
Richard Crowley spake thus:
The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam.

Mine doesn't, fortunately; I don't want my ISP making decisions about what
I should or should not see. (My actual news server is apparently
Verizon's.)

Then you msut deal with the spam yourself. Some people just
filter out everything that comes from googlegroups. It is pretty
effective.

OTOH, I don't have some deep sense of my first ammendment rights
of free speech being abridged just because my NNTP service filters
out spam. And maybe even occationslly a legitimate post. So what?
NNTP is NOT a guarantee delivery protocol and we all probably
miss more messages than we know about. It doesn't even make it
into my top 1000 list of things to worry about.

Google has really made a major mess out of Usenet newsgroups.

Yep.

There are conspiracy theorists who think this wasn't by accident.

One has to wonder; I mean, those folks at Google aren't exactly dummies,
right?

Hard to know whether they just put minimal effort into the whole
Usenet side of the business, or whether there is some upper level
manager plotting to have Google destroy Usenet and take over
online discussion groups. Either way, it amounts to the same
behavior and that is all we can deal with.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 7/25/2009 6:34 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote ...

Richard Crowley spake thus:

The spam is coming from Google. Many news servers automatically
filter out the Google spam.

Mine doesn't, fortunately; I don't want my ISP making decisions about what
I should or should not see. (My actual news server is apparently
Verizon's.)

Then you msut deal with the spam yourself. Some people just
filter out everything that comes from googlegroups. It is pretty
effective.

That's one way to deal with it. I just don't read all that spam. Simple.
No filters or programming required.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

geoff wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about.

Not true.

I thought he meant all the spam posts. Show up on Giganews....

Yep. So strange... I can't believe the spamming actually works.
Assholes.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

Facebook have moved to the top, so the list of Evil Empires becomes:
Facebook, Realmedia, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft actually goes somewhere
further down the list, I liked their business ways better with Mr. Gates at
the helm btw.

What's wrong with facebook?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dizzy" wrote ...
geoff wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
btw why is this "audio-tech" forum monopoliozed by sneaker adds ?

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about.

Not true.

1. You can look at the headers and SEE for yourself that the spam
comes FROM google groups. It is self-identified. Your perception
plays no part in establishing the accuracy of my statement.

2. If you can actually tell what WE are seeing (hint: none of the spam
the OP was complaining about), then your talents are wasted here.
You should be persuing a career as a fortune teller or a police psychic.

Yep. So strange... I can't believe the spamming actually works.
Assholes.

It costs them virtually nothing to "advertise". Their spam is seen by
millions of viewers. If they get only a few "hits" they have made a
profit. They don't care what we think of them as long as somebody
sends them some money.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

Because you are viewing it from Google Groups which is the SOURCE
of the spam. Most of us who view this newsgroup from conventional
newsreader clients and news servers don't see any of the sneaker ads
or other Google Spam you are complaining about.

Not true.

1. You can look at the headers and SEE for yourself that the spam
comes FROM google groups. It is self-identified. Your perception
plays no part in establishing the accuracy of my statement.

That's not at issue.

2. If you can actually tell what WE are seeing (hint: none of the spam
the OP was complaining about), then your talents are wasted here.
You should be persuing a career as a fortune teller or a police psychic.

OK, I see you qualified with "most", but I do see the spam, and I do
use "conventional newsreader clients and news servers".

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dizzy" wrote ...
OK, I see you qualified with "most", but I do see the spam, and I do
use "conventional newsreader clients and news servers".

Then you need to set your filters to exclude it. I see a few spam
messages per week here(and many of the other NGs I read).
But it is so trivial to spot them in the list, I don't give them a second
thought as I skip over them. Dunno why people make such a big
deal of it? It is the electronic equivalent of litter along the road.
I don't know anyone who is so bothered by litter that they stop
their car and yell their complaints at other drivers as they go their
way.

Now back when the "A spammer" was active (a few months ago)
every news server was being flooded with hundreds of separate
spam messages in every newsgroup from someone using a random
name generator for the "from" address. The messages tended to
all look the same, and all the "from" addresses started with the
letter "a", so it wasn't difficult to spot them and skip over them.
The problem was that there were hundreds of messages every
day and it was just a nuisance to have to delete them several
times a day.

The intelligent news providers (like individual.net) quickly filtered
the spam storm, but the institutionally-bound providers (like Google
and Supernews/Giganews, etc.) stubbornly refused to do anything.
Of course they were the ones who had to deal with way more
gigabytes of traffic every hour than normal, so they suffered the
effects of their intransigence. And they richly deserved it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dizzy" wrote ...
What's wrong with facebook?

There was a big flap about their Terms of Service where they said
they could use the content you posted anytime they pleased even
after you had taken it down. But they repented of their evil ways
a few days later. Dunno that there is any newer scandal??