Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harlan Messinger Harlan Messinger is offline

Default Frequencies covered by noise cancellation

I've got a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 noise-canceling headphones. They do a
great job of removing the low, rumbling sounds, like the office copier
or the continuous roar on a plane. On the other hand, on a plane, they
do virtually nothing about the higher-frequency airplane sounds
(hissing, whining), and they add their own hiss.

I asked someone selling expensive Bose headphones at Denver Airport
about whether their phones cover the higher frequency ranges, but he
turned out not to be informed on such a technical topic.

Is this issue with my Sony phones normal--are only the lower frequencies
targeted by today's noise-canceling products? Or are there products that
I can rely on to cancel a wider range of frequencies and, ideally don't
introduce significant noise of their own?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:04:08 -0400, Harlan Messinger
wrote:

I've got a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 noise-canceling headphones. They do a
great job of removing the low, rumbling sounds, like the office copier
or the continuous roar on a plane. On the other hand, on a plane, they
do virtually nothing about the higher-frequency airplane sounds
(hissing, whining), and they add their own hiss.

I asked someone selling expensive Bose headphones at Denver Airport
about whether their phones cover the higher frequency ranges, but he
turned out not to be informed on such a technical topic.

Is this issue with my Sony phones normal--are only the lower frequencies
targeted by today's noise-canceling products? Or are there products that
I can rely on to cancel a wider range of frequencies and, ideally don't
introduce significant noise of their own?

It is not a case of low frequencies being targeted, but really that
dealing with high frequencies is much more technically challenging. If
you really want good HF isolation, forget noise cancelling and buy
some passive ear defender types.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

Really, it's more challenging? I would have thought one approach would
be applicable across the spectrum. Do you know of any resources I can
look at that will explain the technical details? Meanwhile, thanks for
the tip.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Harlan Messinger" wrote ...
Don Pearce wrote:
It is not a case of low frequencies being targeted, but really that
dealing with high frequencies is much more technically challenging. If
you really want good HF isolation, forget noise cancelling and buy
some passive ear defender types.

Really, it's more challenging? I would have thought one approach would be
applicable across the spectrum.

The fundamental theory is the same. But reconstructing a cancellation
signal at higher frequencies requires more processing horespower
(i.e. faster processors). And at shorter wavelengths it gets trickier
to deliver the exact cancellation waveform *at your eardrum* from
several mm away.

As Mr. Pearce suggests, passive isolation is still the more practical
way of dealing with HF noise toay.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

No need, I can explain. It is all a matter of wavelength. Outside the
headshell is a microphone that picks up the environmental sound which
must be suppressed. An inverted version of that sound is played inside
the headphones along with the wanted signal. The idea is that the
inverted sound cancels out the actual sound. For low frequencies it
works nicely, because the inverted and direct sounds line up nicely.
But at higher frequencies the wavelength becomes sufficiently small
that alignment becomes impossible, For example at 10kHz the wavelength
is about one inch, so if the microphone is half an inch from the
speaker (almost inevitable), there will be a half wave error, and far
from cancelling the sound will actually reinforce. Below 10kHz, the
situation is not that bad, but bad enough that good cancellation is
impossible.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
I've got a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 noise-canceling headphones. They do a
great job of removing the low, rumbling sounds, like the office copier or
the continuous roar on a plane. On the other hand, on a plane, they do
virtually nothing about the higher-frequency airplane sounds (hissing,
whining), and they add their own hiss.

I asked someone selling expensive Bose headphones at Denver Airport about
whether their phones cover the higher frequency ranges, but he turned out
not to be informed on such a technical topic.

Is this issue with my Sony phones normal--are only the lower frequencies
targeted by today's noise-canceling products? Or are there products that I
can rely on to cancel a wider range of frequencies and, ideally don't
introduce significant noise of their own?

Harlan,
For the reasons given in this thread, there is absolutely nothing that
will cancel higher frequencies. User satisfaction with these products is
greatest with jet aircraft, because there is a specific low frequency
content with which active noise cancellation is very effective. They are
largely ineffective in other kinds of transport, such as trains and subways,
where high frequency clattering and impact sounds are present.

Ah, OK. Thanks to all of you who replied for your helpful explanations.
I understand now where the shortcomings of noise cancellation lie. I
will switch my attention over to passive noise insulation.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote:

[...]

I don't own any NC headphones, but surely anything designed properly, rather
than just for marketing hype, would use a combination of both NC to combat
LF noise where simple isolation is difficult and less affective, and use
good insulation/isolation of the higher frequencies where NC is impossible.

I imagine there are some that do meet the criteria, but you may need to look
past Sony and Bose, and put up with bigger, heavier headphones.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling. Where active phones work well is
in situations like light aircraft where there is a great deal of throb
and drone to get rid of, which is well taken care of with FFTs and
multiple band generators. Then, because the headshells are lightweight
and not particularly padded, all the other external sounds that you do
want to hear - radios, beacons, your passenger etc, which are not
repetitive - are far better heard than without them. That, as far as I
can see, is the true raison d'etre for active phones.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling.

Not so, LF is a lot harder to absorb than HF.

Where active phones work well is
in situations like light aircraft where there is a great deal of throb
and drone to get rid of,

That *is* LF noise, and the main reason for NC headphones. The OP wanted
more HF reduction as well, which is beyond the scope of active NC without
placing your head is a vice!

Then, because the headshells are lightweight
and not particularly padded, all the other external sounds that you do
want to hear - radios, beacons, your passenger etc, which are not
repetitive - are far better heard than without them. That, as far as I
can see, is the true raison d'etre for active phones.

That may be so for some, IF the manufacturers made that clear to the buyers.
Personally I'd want ones that block LF *and* HF however, which appears to be
what the OP wants as well.

MrT.
..

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 20:02:27 +1000, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling.

Not so, LF is a lot harder to absorb than HF.

You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
and a bit of mass does the job.

Where active phones work well is
in situations like light aircraft where there is a great deal of throb
and drone to get rid of,

That *is* LF noise, and the main reason for NC headphones. The OP wanted
more HF reduction as well, which is beyond the scope of active NC without
placing your head is a vice!

I already went through that in my first post.

Then, because the headshells are lightweight
and not particularly padded, all the other external sounds that you do
want to hear - radios, beacons, your passenger etc, which are not
repetitive - are far better heard than without them. That, as far as I
can see, is the true raison d'etre for active phones.

That may be so for some, IF the manufacturers made that clear to the buyers.
Personally I'd want ones that block LF *and* HF however, which appears to be
what the OP wants as well.

Yup, that has been dealt with to the OP's satisfaction - we've moved
on to another facet now. It isn't an LF/HF thing. It is a
repetitive/non-repetitive differentiation. You need to hear the
one-off events while blocking the background drone. That is where NC
phones score over block-everything passives.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Jun 4, 1:32*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Harlan Messinger" wrote ...

Don Pearce wrote:
It is not a case of low frequencies being targeted, but really that
dealing with high frequencies is much more technically challenging. If
you really want good HF isolation, forget noise cancelling and buy
some passive ear defender types.

Really, it's more challenging? I would have thought one approach would be
applicable across the spectrum.

The fundamental theory is the same. But reconstructing
a cancellation signal at higher frequencies requires
more processing horespower (i.e. faster processors).

More "horsepower?" In the limiting case, all the
horsepower that's needed is inverting the phase
of the signal.

And at shorter wavelengths it gets trickier
to deliver the exact cancellation waveform
*at your eardrum* from several mm away.

THAT'S the crux of the problem: the fact that
the microphone used to detect the original
noise signal and the transducer used to produce
the cancelling signal can not physically occupy
the same point. Further, the REAL point where
you want the cancellation to occur is in the ear
canal, where it is, at best, very inconvenient to
place either.

It works well at low frequencies because the
wavelengths are large (at 100 Hz, they're 11 feet
long), thus the difference in sound pressure between
the microphone and cancelling speaker (say they're
two inches apart) is small and the phase difference
is also small (on the order of about 6 degrees).

At 10 kHz, those wavelengths are on the order of
1.4 inches of an inches, substantially larger than
our hypothetical 2" separation.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jun 4, 1:40*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
For the reasons given in this thread, there is
absolutely nothing that will cancel higher
frequencies.

Absolutely false. There may not be anything
PRACTICAL or AFFORDABLE that can be used
in a consumer headphone product, but the
statement there is "absolutely nothing" is
absolutely nonsense.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

dpierce wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
The fundamental theory is the same. But reconstructing
a cancellation signal at higher frequencies requires
more processing horespower (i.e. faster processors).

More "horsepower?" In the limiting case, all the
horsepower that's needed is inverting the phase
of the signal.

At what sampling rate?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Jun 5, 5:08*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
dpierce wrote ...

"Richard Crowley" wrote:
The fundamental theory is the same. But reconstructing
a cancellation signal at higher frequencies requires
more processing horespower (i.e. faster processors).

More "horsepower?" In the limiting case, all the
horsepower that's needed is inverting the phase
of the signal.

At what sampling rate?

Irrelevant. Take a signal, run it through ANYTHING
that inverts the phase. A transformer, an inverting
op amp. No discrete sampling, no DSP of ANY
kind required.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

dpierce wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
dpierce wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
The fundamental theory is the same. But reconstructing
a cancellation signal at higher frequencies requires
more processing horespower (i.e. faster processors).

More "horsepower?" In the limiting case, all the
horsepower that's needed is inverting the phase
of the signal.

At what sampling rate?

Irrelevant. Take a signal, run it through ANYTHING
that inverts the phase. A transformer, an inverting
op amp. No discrete sampling, no DSP of ANY
kind required.

But that's not how noise cancellation works. That method
would merely create acoustic feedback.

Note that consumer noise-cancelling had to wait for the wide
availabity of low-cost DSP computing horsepower.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling.

Not so, LF is a lot harder to absorb than HF.

You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
and a bit of mass does the job.

Solid concrete headphones perhaps?

Fact is NC headphones were invented to reduce LF noise because other methods
weren't satisfactory for many people.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
dpierce wrote ...
Irrelevant. Take a signal, run it through ANYTHING
that inverts the phase. A transformer, an inverting
op amp. No discrete sampling, no DSP of ANY
kind required.

But that's not how noise cancellation works. That method
would merely create acoustic feedback.

You do know the difference between positive and negative feedback right?
*Negative* acoustic feedback is actually what they are trying to achieve.
And Dick specifically said to invert the phase, i.e. negative feedback.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:14:17 +1000, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Phones that isolate the HF well also tend to deal with the bottom end
without resort to active cancelling.

Not so, LF is a lot harder to absorb than HF.

You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
and a bit of mass does the job.

Solid concrete headphones perhaps?

Stiffness is all that is needed - not concrete.

Fact is NC headphones were invented to reduce LF noise because other methods
weren't satisfactory for many people.

No, they were invented because someone could. They then fulfilled a
male need for gadgets. I haven't done the data mining, but I'm willing
to bet that a good closed back or ear bud (Etymotic et al) provides as
good if not better LF isolation than a NC.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
and a bit of mass does the job.

^^^^^^^^^
Solid concrete headphones perhaps?

Stiffness is all that is needed

And the "bit of mass" ?

No, they were invented because someone could. They then fulfilled a
male need for gadgets. I haven't done the data mining, but I'm willing
to bet that a good closed back or ear bud (Etymotic et al) provides as
good if not better LF isolation than a NC.

As I already said many posts ago!
However the NC type *may* be lighter than closed back types with good
insulation.
As always you pay your money and you make your own choice.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Don Pearce wrote:

||| You don't absorb it, you block it, which is not the same. Stiffness
||| and a bit of mass does the job.

|| Solid concrete headphones perhaps?

| Stiffness is all that is needed - not concrete.

My old gunshootinge bilsom muffs did a great job with LF impulse noise due
to their glycerin filled seals. And yes ... stiffness does work wonders in
this context as one knows when having worked on a blanket to blanket offset
web-press.

|| Fact is NC headphones were invented to reduce LF noise because
|| other methods weren't satisfactory for many people.

| No, they were invented because someone could. They then fulfilled a
| male need for gadgets. I haven't done the data mining, but I'm
| willing to bet that a good closed back or ear bud (Etymotic et al)
| provides as good if not better LF isolation than a NC.

Sennheisers model is/was advertized as designed for helicopter use and
is/was a rigid shell type, based on web site imagery, there is sense in
reducing the LF masking beyond what mere rigidity can give you, that one is
about increasing speech understandability, so it makes sense. But
considering real lf noise it it not about those latter ... my guess for
something probable is 8 dB, but is is a guess ... reduction, but about the
first 20, and rigid shell earmuffs with good seals do that very well.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T wrote:
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
dpierce wrote ...
Irrelevant. Take a signal, run it through ANYTHING
that inverts the phase. A transformer, an inverting
op amp. No discrete sampling, no DSP of ANY
kind required.

But that's not how noise cancellation works. That method
would merely create acoustic feedback.

You do know the difference between positive and negative feedback
right? *Negative* acoustic feedback is actually what they are trying
to achieve. And Dick specifically said to invert the phase, i.e.
negative feedback.

Easy to do electronically, extraordinarily difficult to do accoustically at
short wavelengths. That is why modern consumer noise cancelling products
depend on inexpensive DSP. You cannot just take an acoustic signal from a
microphone "invert" it and try to cancel noise with it. You don't have to
take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 6/7/2009 6:39 AM Richard Crowley spake thus:

Mr.T wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...

dpierce wrote ...

Irrelevant. Take a signal, run it through ANYTHING that inverts
the phase. A transformer, an inverting op amp. No discrete
sampling, no DSP of ANY kind required.

But that's not how noise cancellation works. That method would
merely create acoustic feedback.

You do know the difference between positive and negative feedback
right? *Negative* acoustic feedback is actually what they are trying
to achieve. And Dick specifically said to invert the phase, i.e.
negative feedback.

Easy to do electronically, extraordinarily difficult to do
accoustically at short wavelengths. That is why modern consumer noise
cancelling products depend on inexpensive DSP. You cannot just take
an acoustic signal from a microphone "invert" it and try to cancel
noise with it. You don't have to take my word for it. Try it for
yourself.

Just out of curiosity, why not? And no, not about to do this experiment
myself anytime soon.

Let me guess: it (inverting the signal) would work fine at low
frequencies, but progressively worse at higher frequencies?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
But that's not how noise cancellation works. That method
would merely create acoustic feedback.

You do know the difference between positive and negative feedback
right? *Negative* acoustic feedback is actually what they are trying
to achieve. And Dick specifically said to invert the phase, i.e.
negative feedback.

Easy to do electronically, extraordinarily difficult to do accoustically

at
short wavelengths. That is why modern consumer noise cancelling products
depend on inexpensive DSP. You cannot just take an acoustic signal from a
microphone "invert" it and try to cancel noise with it. You don't have to
take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

Please read what I wrote, I never said it was that simple. I simply said in
practice you are providing negative acoustic feedback.
HOW it is *effectively* achieved is another matter entirely.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Let me guess: it (inverting the signal) would work fine at low
frequencies, but progressively worse at higher frequencies?

*IF* you could provide a 100% accurate signal of the actual sound in the ear
canal, and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot, with no phase shift whatsoever, then the rest should be very simple
indeed :-) :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 6/7/2009 6:59 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Let me guess: it (inverting the signal) would work fine at low
frequencies, but progressively worse at higher frequencies?

*IF* you could provide a 100% accurate signal of the actual sound in the ear
canal,

Well, that's the hard part here, isn't it? But seemingly not impossible
(well, not 100%, but close enough).

and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

with no phase shift whatsoever, then the rest should be very simple
indeed :-) :-)

Since we're talking audio frequencies ( 8 kHz, I'm guessing), shouldn't
be a big deal.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

with no phase shift whatsoever, then the rest should be very simple
indeed :-) :-)

Since we're talking audio frequencies ( 8 kHz, I'm guessing), shouldn't
be a big deal.

YOU might think so, good luck :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Mr.T spake thus:
and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

No. Because it will almost instantly turn into a closed-loop
feedback oscillator and likely deafen the wearer. If it were
as easy as simple signal inversion, we would have had noise
cancelling headphones decades sooner.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 6/7/2009 10:04 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Mr.T spake thus:
and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

No. Because it will almost instantly turn into a closed-loop
feedback oscillator and likely deafen the wearer. If it were
as easy as simple signal inversion, we would have had noise
cancelling headphones decades sooner.

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought that
only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original signal,
n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/7/2009 10:04 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Mr.T spake thus:
and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

No. Because it will almost instantly turn into a closed-loop
feedback oscillator and likely deafen the wearer. If it were
as easy as simple signal inversion, we would have had noise
cancelling headphones decades sooner.

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought
that only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original
signal, n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

The space inside the headphone forms a resonant cavity
and a broadband microphone - amplifier-speaker system
would seek the most resonant frequency within milliseconds.
Anyone who has ever operated a sound reinforcement
(PA) system knows the effect.

Noise cancellation systems work by sampling the waveform
and independently synthesizing an inverted copy of the noise
waveform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 6/8/2009 12:05 AM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought
that only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original
signal, n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

The space inside the headphone forms a resonant cavity
and a broadband microphone - amplifier-speaker system
would seek the most resonant frequency within milliseconds.
Anyone who has ever operated a sound reinforcement
(PA) system knows the effect.

Noise cancellation systems work by sampling the waveform
and independently synthesizing an inverted copy of the noise
waveform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Well, I don't trust Wikipedia as far as one can throw it, but I trust
you, so I'll take your word for it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought
that only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original
signal, n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

The space inside the headphone forms a resonant cavity
and a broadband microphone - amplifier-speaker system
would seek the most resonant frequency within milliseconds.
Anyone who has ever operated a sound reinforcement
(PA) system knows the effect.

Noise cancellation systems work by sampling the waveform
and independently synthesizing an inverted copy of the noise
waveform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Well, I don't trust Wikipedia as far as one can throw it, but I trust
you, so I'll take your word for it.

I've just been investigating the isolation performance (claimed) of
active phones vs Etymotic passive ear buds, and here is the result:

http://81.174.169.10/odds/isolation.gif

Particularly interesting is the fact that at very low frequencies the
actives actually make the noise a bit louder. Once you get beyond
1kHz, of course, the active cancellers do nothing at all, while the
passives just go on getting better.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/7/2009 10:04 PM Richard Crowley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Mr.T spake thus:
and reinject a perfectly matched inverted copy in exactly the same
spot,

Trivially easy, no? A simple phase inverter oughta do the trick.

No. Because it will almost instantly turn into a closed-loop
feedback oscillator and likely deafen the wearer. If it were
as easy as simple signal inversion, we would have had noise
cancelling headphones decades sooner.

Hmm; that seems counterintuitive. Not disputing you, but I thought that
only positive (i.e., same-phase) signals would cause that kind of
feedback. An inverted signal should (nearly) cancel the original signal,
n'est-ce pas? What am I missing here?

You're missing the fact that it becomes progressively more difficult to
control the phase of the cancellation signal as the frequency increases.

Elsewhere in this thread I think I saw a discussion of the fact that
wavelengths get shorter as frequency increases. As the wavelength gets
shorter, the harder it gets to control the phase of the wave at any point.
Think of picking up a needle with a small tweezers. Think of picking up a
needle with a large bolt cutter.

For example, at 100 feet, a sound wave is about 10' long. If the microphone
that picks up the noise that is to be cancelled out is a fraction of an inch
from the point where the cancellation is to take place, that fractional inch
distance causes very little error.

At 10 KHz, a sound wave is about an inch. Now, you have to somehow put the
microphone far, far less than one inch from the point where the cancellation
it to take place for equal effectiveness as you easily obtained at 100 Hz.

If you don't accurately control the timing of the cancellation signal, the
system oscillates.

So, the difficulties involved in canceling high frequencies are due to the
laws of physics. Part is due to wavelength effects, and part is due to the
requirements for a system that is based on negative feedback to be stable.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

What are the units of the vertical axis?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
Particularly interesting is the fact that at very low frequencies the
actives actually make the noise a bit louder. Once you get beyond
1kHz, of course, the active cancellers do nothing at all, while the
passives just go on getting better.

What are the units of the vertical axis?

dB of isolation.

What does it mean, respectively, for there to be negative and positive
dB of isolation? I would have understood positive dB to mean that the
noise level was worse than without the "isolation".
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
Particularly interesting is the fact that at very low frequencies the
actives actually make the noise a bit louder. Once you get beyond
1kHz, of course, the active cancellers do nothing at all, while the
passives just go on getting better.
What are the units of the vertical axis?

dB of isolation.

What does it mean, respectively, for there to be negative and positive
dB of isolation? I would have understood positive dB to mean that the
noise level was worse than without the "isolation".

No, if you are talking isolation, then the more the better, Hence
positive dBs. The bit where the curve dips below the line (negative
isolation) is a frequency range in which the external sounds are
actually a little louder than they would be without the phones.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
Particularly interesting is the fact that at very low frequencies the
actives actually make the noise a bit louder. Once you get beyond
1kHz, of course, the active cancellers do nothing at all, while the
passives just go on getting better.
What are the units of the vertical axis?
dB of isolation.

What does it mean, respectively, for there to be negative and positive
dB of isolation? I would have understood positive dB to mean that the
noise level was worse than without the "isolation".

No, if you are talking isolation, then the more the better, Hence
positive dBs. The bit where the curve dips below the line (negative
isolation) is a frequency range in which the external sounds are
actually a little louder than they would be without the phones.

Oh, OK, I get it now. Thanks!

Active Noise Cancellation Jontie Tech 3 November 27th 07 10:18 AM
Noise cancellation headphones [email protected] Pro Audio 16 July 31st 06 03:28 AM
active noise cancellation? J.A.A. Pro Audio 8 June 29th 05 05:20 AM
Low frequency Active Noise Cancellation Audiophil Tech 16 March 17th 04 09:46 PM
active noise cancellation Marcus Müller Tech 4 January 24th 04 07:23 PM