Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default "TV Out" Feature on Sandisk Sansa View MP3 Player

I just received an early Christmas present - the aforementioned Sansa
View in 16Gb capacity.

I dutifully downloaded the latest instruction manual in Adobe format
and followed all the instructions with regards to setting it up and
getting it going. All well and good. I converted some videos,
downloaded a ton of songs, some family photos. It's like a public
library/radio studio in your pocket!

Now, I was enthused by an option called "TV Out" in the Display sub-
directory of System Settings for the View, but there is only a
mention of available settings (Off/Auto/On-fulltime) for this feature
but not of what it actually DOES.

Am I correct to assume "TV Out" allows one to pipe audio/video to a TV/
monitor with composite input jacks?? And why doesn't Sandisk explain
this in the instructions/specs/feature list?

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote ...
I just received an early Christmas present - the aforementioned Sansa
View in 16Gb capacity.

I dutifully downloaded the latest instruction manual in Adobe format
and followed all the instructions with regards to setting it up and
getting it going. All well and good. I converted some videos,
downloaded a ton of songs, some family photos. It's like a public
library/radio studio in your pocket!

Now, I was enthused by an option called "TV Out" in the Display sub-
directory of System Settings for the View, but there is only a
mention of available settings (Off/Auto/On-fulltime) for this feature
but not of what it actually DOES.

Am I correct to assume "TV Out" allows one to pipe audio/video to a TV/
monitor with composite input jacks??

Apparently. Hackers have documented that the video output is
available on the 30-pin docking connector. Here is some info....
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=21632

And why doesn't Sandisk explain this in the instructions/specs
feature list?

Clearly annother brilliant decision by the marketing gerbs (since
the technical people actually included it). Sandisk also does not
offer a cable for the ("nonexistent") video output, so people are
making their own. If your gadget uses the same physical connector
as iPod (et.al.), then you can use an iPod breakout connector like...
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8295
(or many others)

However, note that the pinout appears to be significantly different
than iPod et.al. so you can't use a ubiquitious iPod cable.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Dec 14, 5:22*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" *wrote ...

[...]

than iPod et.al. so you can't use a ubiquitious iPod cable.- Hide quoted text -

___________________
Ta heck with it! I'm not about to go trying to solder together a pin-
connector that may or may not work with my particular model.

I figured maybe the headphone out 1/8" had an extra ring for use with
a video/audio mini to RCA connector like most digi-camcorders do.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote from Goooooooogle Groups...
Ta heck with it! I'm not about to go trying to solder together a pin-
connector that may or may not work with my particular model.

You're welcome. You can do your own research next time.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Dec 14, 10:15*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" *wrote from Goooooooogle Groups...

Ta heck with it! *I'm not about to go trying to solder together a pin-
connector that may or may not work with my particular model.

You're welcome. *You can do your own research next time.

_________________________
My "to heck with it" was not aimed at you Rich - it was aimed at the
complicated process by which one is able to take advantage of video
out on this MP3 player. What a farce. Sansa builds a decent device
but doesn't explain how to access one of it's unique features.

BTW thanks for responding.

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ChrisCoaster" wrote ...
My "to heck with it" was not aimed at you Rich - it was aimed at the
complicated process by which one is able to take advantage of video
out on this MP3 player. What a farce. Sansa builds a decent device
but doesn't explain how to access one of it's unique features.

Doesn't look all THAT complicated. Turns out that several
people are already selling the cables Sandisk forgot....
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19284
http://store.bargaincell.com/B00166K...B00166KTFI.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Dec 15, 9:59*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" *wrote ...

My "to heck with it" was not aimed at you Rich - it was aimed at the
complicated process by which one is able to take advantage of video
out on this MP3 player. *What a farce. *Sansa builds a decent device
but doesn't explain how to access one of it's unique features.

Doesn't look all THAT complicated. Turns out that several
people are already selling the cables Sandisk forgot....http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?p...B00166KTFI.htm

Thanks, now that's more like it! The complicated process I was
referring to involved the soldering and knowing which pins
corresponded to audio, video, plus, minus etc.

I will definitely print this out and see if it can be purchased by
walking into an actual store.

Rich: all of this could have been eliminated had the manual writers at
Sansa had half a lick o' sense to explain this in the View manual in
the first place! Who was in charge of the copy in that manual, Donald
Rumsfeld?!?

-CC