Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] gimmeanathlon@gmail.com is offline

Default How can I install extra pair of small speakers in back of FordExpedition? Rear passengers don't hear well.

We have a Ford Expedition (2006) with no rear speakers for the 3rd
bench. Basically, folks up front and in the middle bench hear well.
Folks in rear bench can't hear the music well without blowing the rest
of us out of the SUV.
Is there a way to add a pair of speakers to the panel in back? I'm
oaky with removing panels and such (I installed a nav system/head
unit/ overhead screen etc. last summer), but I'm not as sure about
adding speakers. I'm tempted to just add a pair back there, but wasn't
sure of the technicalities.
I'd like to avoid a fire in there if at all possible.
Currently it has stock speakers, with a new nav/dvd unit up front and
screen up top.
I'm sure I didn't use all the tech lingo, but I'd appreciate any help
I can get.
Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB[_2_] ChrisB[_2_] is offline

wrote:
We have a Ford Expedition (2006) with no rear speakers for the 3rd
bench. Basically, folks up front and in the middle bench hear well.
Folks in rear bench can't hear the music well without blowing the rest
of us out of the SUV.
Is there a way to add a pair of speakers to the panel in back? I'm
oaky with removing panels and such (I installed a nav system/head
unit/ overhead screen etc. last summer), but I'm not as sure about
adding speakers. I'm tempted to just add a pair back there, but wasn't
sure of the technicalities.
I'd like to avoid a fire in there if at all possible.
Currently it has stock speakers, with a new nav/dvd unit up front and
screen up top.
I'm sure I didn't use all the tech lingo, but I'd appreciate any help
I can get.
Thanks.

It can be done, but how good is your imagination and more importantly,
how are your fabrication skills?

Installing the speakers is one part of the equation, next would be
getting power to them. I don't know if your factory setup will like
running an additional set of speakers. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
You could always try, but I warn you that something will probably go up
in smoke if you do!

This is what would more than likely need:
1. A line Output convertor
2. An amplifier wiring kit (10 gauge would probably suffice)
3. A small power amplifier to run your new speakers (35x2 watts RMS per
channel should work)
4. Your speakers
5. The will and desire to install all this stuff in a custom location!

If you aren't up to snuff with doing all this, I recommend that you go
visit a local custom shop. Just don't be surprised if they recommend
the same thing OR try to sell you additional components (lol). Lastly,
be prepared to pass out when you see how much this is going to cost you
if a local custom shop does it!

-ChrisB