Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

That's three days from today!

I was checking around to see what the group's Comcast users have jumped to,
and some post properties say that many (like me!) are still using Comcast NG
servers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Rob Aries" wrote in message

I'm hangin' in until the end. Probably will look at
motzarella after that.

Same service, different name...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] lowgen36@ao1.com is offline

Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.

Most other servers routinely lose 10% of the messages.

forteinc.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message

Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.

I signed up with giganews, for about twice that.

Most other servers routinely lose 10% of the messages.

I've never seen performance that bad.

Comcast lost a goodly percentage of my posts to a certain moderated
newsgroup and delayed them all about half a day.

Giganews seems to be more timely and more reliable.

Comcast would lock up their news server for a random amount of time, usually
the better part of minute, every time I posted. Giganews provides nearly
instant response.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

"Arny Krueger" writes:

wrote in message

Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.

I signed up with giganews, for about twice that.

Most other servers routinely lose 10% of the messages.

I've never seen performance that bad.

Comcast lost a goodly percentage of my posts to a certain moderated
newsgroup and delayed them all about half a day.

Giganews seems to be more timely and more reliable.

Comcast would lock up their news server for a random amount of time, usually
the better part of minute, every time I posted. Giganews provides nearly
instant response.

I pay $3.95/month for Supernews (text-only newsgroups) and they have
been extremely, extremely reliable, responsive, and friendly. Their
level of service is largely unheard of in this day and age. I highly
recommend them.
--
% Randy Yates % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve L.[_3_] Steve L.[_3_] is offline

o you :

I signed up with Forte for $3/month.

aioe.cjb.net
free
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

wrote in message

| Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.
|

| Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
| server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.
|
| Most other servers routinely lose 10% of the messages.
|
| forteinc.com

I switched from Comcast to news.albasani.net as a result of a recommendation
I read here a few weeks ago. No problems so far and completely free.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 24 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Comcast lost a goodly percentage of my posts to a certain
moderated newsgroup and delayed them all about half a day.

Giganews seems to be more timely and more reliable.

Comcast would lock up their news server for a random amount of
time, usually the better part of minute, every time I posted.
Giganews provides nearly instant response.

Comcast IS (er, WAS) Giganews. Comcast did not run their own news
servers, they subcontracted them out to Giganews. All Comcast did was
authenticate your login - any posting, retrieval, administration, etc.
was all Giganews.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
wrote ...
Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.

I signed up with giganews, for about twice that.

And I signed up with individual.net for about half that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nil" wrote in message
On 24 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Comcast lost a goodly percentage of my posts to a certain
moderated newsgroup and delayed them all about half a day.

Giganews seems to be more timely and more reliable.

Comcast would lock up their news server for a random amount of
time, usually the better part of minute, every time I posted.
Giganews provides nearly instant response.

Comcast IS (er, WAS) Giganews. Comcast did not run their own news
servers, they subcontracted them out to Giganews. All Comcast did was
authenticate your login - any posting, retrieval, administration, etc.
was all Giganews.

Comcast also managed to screw up Giganews. Now that I'm using Giganews
directly, a lot of ugly slowness went away.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 26 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Comcast also managed to screw up Giganews. Now that I'm using
Giganews directly, a lot of ugly slowness went away.

Comcast couldn't have done anything to Giganews. Comcast's only
interaction with you was your authentication - after that was done, you
were directly in contact with Giganews's servers. But Comcast often had
problems with their authentication server and they'd go through periods
where my logon would take a long time or be rejected. The problems were
sporadic, at least in the Boston area, like, there would be a bad
stretch every couple of months. They never did really fix it, I guess.
But the rest of the time, I found access to Giganews through Comcast to
be very quick and snappy.

By the way, Comcast's news service seems to still be alive. Someone
mentioned that they changed their plan and aren't going to take it down
for a few more weeks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
wrote ...
Just a friendly reminder - Comcast NG support goes away 10/25.

Some years ago, when I saw various problems with my RoadRunner usenet
server, I signed up with Forte for $3/month. It's been working great.

I signed up with giganews, for about twice that.

And I signed up with individual.net for about half that.

They have a good reputation.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:58:32 -0400, Nil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Nil,

I agree with your assessment. And yes, still here in Maryland this AM.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nil" wrote in message

On 26 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Comcast also managed to screw up Giganews. Now that I'm using
Giganews directly, a lot of ugly slowness went away.

Comcast couldn't have done anything to Giganews.

They can do what they want to who they want.

You need to follow the news - like who is sueing Comcast this week to get
equal service levels for their hosts and clients.

Or, you need to understand how the internet works - it really a mass of
routers. A router can control the service levels between any two points that
they connect. Comcast can regulate the speed for any packet that goes
through their routers, and every packet is marked with the ip address of the
host and the client.

I configure routers as part of my day job, so I have a modest clue about
their power, which is immense.

Comcast's only interaction with you was your authentication - after that
was done, you
were directly in contact with Giganews's servers. But Comcast often had
problems with their authentication server and they'd go through periods
where my logon would take a long time or be rejected. The problems were
sporadic, at least in the Boston area, like, there would be a bad
stretch every couple of months. They never did really fix it, I guess.
But the rest of the time, I found access to Giganews through Comcast to
be very quick and snappy.

If wishes were fishes. Comcast regulates the service that their clients
receive on a packet-by-packet basis.

Back in the beginning before Comcast bought out @home, their service was
essentially unmanaged. I was a client of theirs back then, and enjoyed
internet access where the only limit on speed was the 10BT connection that
their cable modems delivered. Then they discovered how to manage their
network.

Fact of the matter is that not only does Comcast look at packet headers to
see who sent and who is receiving, but they look inside the packets to make
an educated guess about what sort of software the packets relate to. They
also maintain histories of the packets that their clients have sent and
received.

By the way, Comcast's news service seems to still be alive. Someone
mentioned that they changed their plan and aren't going to take it down
for a few more weeks.

That's a choice they get to make. I'm oh,so happy since I broke free of the
way they were screwing up Giganews.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 27 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

That's a choice they get to make. I'm oh,so happy since I broke
free of the way they were screwing up Giganews.

Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but I maintain that Comcast was
not "screwing up Giganews". They maybe have been screwing up YOU, but
Giganews's service continued as usual for everyone else. I never had
any problem with Giganew's speed, only with Comcast's authentication.
And I've never heard that there was any general problem with Giganews's
speed, either for their direct customers or for Comcast's. I'd say that
the problem was either a regional one in your area or they were
targeting you personally.

Anyway, it hardly matters now, as Comcast's access to Giganews's
servers seems to be blocked today, probably forever.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nil" wrote in message

On 27 Oct 2008, "Arny Krueger" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

That's a choice they get to make. I'm oh,so happy since I broke
free of the way they were screwing up Giganews.

Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but I maintain that Comcast was
not "screwing up Giganews". They maybe have been screwing up YOU, but
Giganews's service continued as usual for everyone else.

I find it hard to believe that Comcast somehow singled me out for bad
treatment.

I never had
any problem with Giganew's speed, only with Comcast's authentication.

Well, I had that problem as well if you by that you mean that they would
fairly frequently simply not accept my login for a few minutes or a half
hour every once in a while. Infrequent, brief, but irritating.

And I've never heard that there was any general problem with Giganews's
speed, either for their direct customers or for Comcast's.

Neither do I, now that I'm working with Giganews directly.

The problem I had might not have been apparent to people who didn't post as
much as I do.

I'd say that
the problem was either a regional one in your area or they were
targeting you personally.

I find it hard to believe that Comcast somehow singled me out for bad
treatment. I only accessed text NGs and only made text posts, so I can't
believe that I was somehow going out of their usage bounds.

Anyway, it hardly matters now, as Comcast's access to Giganews's
servers seems to be blocked today, probably forever.

Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but I'm still having no problems
accessing Giganews servers via Comcast. I just use a different name for
their server than the one that Comcast gave me , and a different userid and
password. ;-)