Posted to rec.audio.car
tater tater is offline

Default subwoofer install

I'm going to install a subwoofer in my 350z. Planning on using the factory
cut out behind the drivers seat. Any suggestions on what to stuff in behind
it to deaden the area?

Posted to rec.audio.car
gs gs is offline

tater wrote:
I'm going to install a subwoofer in my 350z. Planning on using the factory
cut out behind the drivers seat. Any suggestions on what to stuff in behind
it to deaden the area?

What area ? In the cutout or in the outer compartment. Are you matching
woofer with box size and type ? I had some unused area in my 280Z
so I made use of them and also an additional space made from wood.
See pics. Inside a closed compartment polyfill is the norm, but for
extra small spaces, you can use better stuff, as well as Isobarik drivers.
http://zekfrivolous.com/280z/page_01.htm

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
tater tater is offline

"gs" wrote in message

What area ? In the cutout or in the outer compartment. Are you matching
woofer with box size and type ? I had some unused area in my 280Z
so I made use of them and also an additional space made from wood.
See pics. Inside a closed compartment polyfill is the norm, but for extra
small spaces, you can use better stuff, as well as Isobarik drivers.
http://zekfrivolous.com/280z/page_01.htm

greg

Nice looking Z. Back in the early 70s I had one of the first 240z's in our
area.

I'm going to put the woofer in the area behind the driver's seat that's
designed for it. It's not a sealed compartment back there though. My
Z is the Enthusiast model which doesn't come with the woofer. The
Touring model does. It's a 10 inch woofer. I was going to install it
in that normal factory location and pack some kind of fill back there
and see what I get for sound. If it's not good then I suppose building
some kind of enclosure back behind the speaker is an option.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "tater" wrote:
"gs" wrote in message

[...]

You most always need to enclose the area. One can get by with a high Q driver
with minmum enclosure requirments, such as between rear seat and trunk.
A Carver system used high Q drivers in a dipole. Your best bet is to get
or build something that will fit exactly into the space. You can even face the magnet
out to get maximum internal volume. If you have a(the) woofer, you can plug the parameters
into an enclosure program to see what works.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

GregS wrote:
In article , "tater" wrote:
"gs" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with ^^^^.

Your best bet would be to find a sub that works well in a small sealed
enclosure then get someone to build you a fiberglass enclosure to fit in
that area behind the seat.

I don't even know if an infinite baffle setup would work good in your
situation, so maybe someone else can chime in on that...

-ChrisB

Posted to rec.audio.car
tater tater is offline

"ChrisB" wrote in message

Your best bet would be to find a sub that works well in a small sealed
enclosure then get someone to build you a fiberglass enclosure to fit in
that area behind the seat.

I don't even know if an infinite baffle setup would work good in your
situation, so maybe someone else can chime in on that...

-ChrisB

I just built a small sealed enclosure for the sub and put it back in the
area
behind the seat. In addition I put a lot of sound absorbing fill in that
area
and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "tater" wrote:

"ChrisB" wrote in message
m...

Your best bet would be to find a sub that works well in a small sealed
enclosure then get someone to build you a fiberglass enclosure to fit in
that area behind the seat.

I don't even know if an infinite baffle setup would work good in your
situation, so maybe someone else can chime in on that...

-ChrisB

I just built a small sealed enclosure for the sub and put it back in the
area
behind the seat. In addition I put a lot of sound absorbing fill in that
area
and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.
Sealed enclosures are the easiest to bump up with bass boost. With a custom
equalizer, you can get a slope to get fairly low down to 20 or 30 Hz.
All you have to worry about is power handling and power capability.

greg

should I install bazooka subwoofer? D & T Officen Car Audio 2 December 20th 05 09:37 PM
subwoofer install thesaw Car Audio 7 October 12th 05 05:59 AM
Olds Bravada subwoofer install Elizabeth Sullivan Car Audio 1 June 20th 04 12:18 AM
Newbie question: active subwoofer install Roger van Barkel Car Audio 2 December 31st 03 04:57 AM
Powered Subwoofer Install Shawn Dunn Car Audio 7 November 5th 03 03:04 AM