Posted to rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
Geoff

Default If I can't feel the tweeters move are they dead?

eponymous cowherd wrote:
My speakers are 20 years old and until today I thought they were going
strong. I have always known that they sound better with the grills
off, but because the drivers are made with polypropelene I have always
assumed that I should mostly keep them on to protect them from UV.
Every once in a while I take the grills off and today I did so. For
whatever reason I decided to touch the tweeter dome and was surprised
that I could not feel any vibration at all. I turned the treble knob
to full and tried changing CDs but I could never feel the tweeter
dome move at all, this was on both speakers. Am I supposed to feel
the tweeter dome move?

If you can feel the tweeters move, then if they are not dead they soon will
be.

They shouldn't move that yopu could notice - if they do then they are
getting to much MF/LF signal and will likely fracture the voice-coil leadin
wires, or burn out.

I found this out to my detriment with a crossover pcb design f***up on some
LS3-5a speakers I was cloning as a lad. Was stunned to see the tweeter
moving with the bass, for a short time ....

geoff