Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Thor

Default Is it possible to combine separate high/low frequency speaker outputs?

Had to replace our tabletop stereo system as the old one no longer
recognized CDs. We bought a one piece Panasonic unit incorporating CD
changer, cassette and radio with two speakers.

Our setup is this:

Stereo lives in dining room with speaker pairs in dining room and
kitchen.
Stereo speaker output goes to a speaker switching box so we can select
DR, kitchen, or both. Neat, helpful when entertaining, and keeps us
from having to blast one room to hear in the next room.

The rub: This new Panasonic stereo has four(!) wires per channel, a low
freq. pair and a high freq. pair. The speakers sound remarkably good,
far superior to the old system, but I don't know how to hook up the
switch box. My kitchen speakers are not designed to accept high and
low inputs so sending in one or the other will provide a somewhat
unbalanced result.

Any ideas on how to recombine the high and low outputs into a single
pair for the kitchen speakers? There are no other outputs on this
system except the headphone jack.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Thor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Interesting. There are two possibilities.
1. The Panasonic has separate amplifiers for low and high frequencies.
2. The Panasonic has a passive crossover at the output of each amplifier
channel.

Case 1: If you connect the two pairs of wires, you'll damage the output
amplifier in an expensive way.
Case 2: If you connect the two pairs of wires, you might damage the output
amplifier in an expensive way.

The service manual would have a schematic that could be intepreted by many
of us.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Thor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

**There is no way to do it, without seriously damaging the Panasonic. DON'T
DO IT!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Thor

Replying to my own post:

The kitchen speakers were some older two way Advents. It turned out to
be a simple matter to unplug the Advent drivers from the crossover and
run an extra wire pair to each speaker. Put another way, the stereo
now functions as the crossover for the Advents.

Pending location (or construction) of an 8-in/16-out speaker switch,
the kitchen and dining room are bridged together, when one plays both
play, everything sounds great.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Kalman Rubinson

On 11 Dec 2005 18:58:46 -0800, "Thor" wrote:

Replying to my own post:

The kitchen speakers were some older two way Advents. It turned out to
be a simple matter to unplug the Advent drivers from the crossover and
run an extra wire pair to each speaker. Put another way, the stereo
now functions as the crossover for the Advents.

Pending location (or construction) of an 8-in/16-out speaker switch,
the kitchen and dining room are bridged together, when one plays both
play, everything sounds great.

Gack! It works but the crossover is not the right one for the Advent.
Of course, if it sounds 'great' to you, fine.

Kal

It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction Bob Cain Pro Audio 266 August 17th 04 06:50 AM