kevin g

Default 6L6 vs. EL84 can you hear it?

I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84 and a friend has a mesa 50 using two 6L6.
He says he can hear the difference. We have the same five preamp
tubes, I'm using GE El34 he's using RCA Black Plate 6L6. We set them up
the same as the controls are identical.

His can get louder by a factor of one I'd say i.e. his loudness can
double mine BUT at low volumes and even cranked they sound so identical.

Yet he claims his is creamier and less compressed. Anyone here able to
hear the difference in these output tubes?
Tony Hwang

kevin g wrote:
I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84 and a friend has a mesa 50 using two 6L6.
He says he can hear the difference. We have the same five preamp
tubes, I'm using GE El34 he's using RCA Black Plate 6L6. We set them up
the same as the controls are identical.

His can get louder by a factor of one I'd say i.e. his loudness can
double mine BUT at low volumes and even cranked they sound so identical.

Yet he claims his is creamier and less compressed. Anyone here able to
hear the difference in these output tubes?

Hi,
6L6 is heavier tube and his amp is bigger than yours.
I'd hear difference overall.
Tony
marc

The difficulty with making such comparisons is that one is usually comparing
totally different amps! You are having an opportunity to really weed out
this factor and as you say, the difference to your ear is hard to detect.

To my mind that puts it in the not worth worrying about category.

Harry J

"marc" wrote in message
newspOae.1976$pk5.1333@fed1read02...
The difficulty with making such comparisons is that one is usually
comparing totally different amps! You are having an opportunity to really
weed out this factor and as you say, the difference to your ear is hard to
detect.

To my mind that puts it in the not worth worrying about category.

----------

I use the THD Yellow Jacket 6L6 to EL84 adapters.
After hearing the EL84's in my '66 bassman, I have no intention of putting
the 6L6's back in.

The clean tones have more of a chime and the OD breaks up quicker and
smoother.

Audio clip of it http://www.harryj.net/bassman.htm

Harry Jacobson
www.harryj.net

John Stewart

kevin g wrote:

I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84 and a friend has a mesa 50 using two 6L6.
He says he can hear the difference. We have the same five preamp
tubes, I'm using GE El34 he's using RCA Black Plate 6L6. We set them up
the same as the controls are identical.

His can get louder by a factor of one I'd say i.e. his loudness can
double mine BUT at low volumes and even cranked they sound so identical.

Yet he claims his is creamier and less compressed. Anyone here able to
hear the difference in these output tubes?

What about the speakers & the room? Do the amps share those for your A vs B
comparison? If not, the comparison is invalid. JLS

kevin g

John Stewart wrote:
kevin g wrote:

I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84 and a friend has a mesa 50 using two 6L6.
He says he can hear the difference. We have the same five preamp
tubes, I'm using GE El34 he's using RCA Black Plate 6L6. We set them up
the same as the controls are identical.

His can get louder by a factor of one I'd say i.e. his loudness can
double mine BUT at low volumes and even cranked they sound so identical.

Yet he claims his is creamier and less compressed. Anyone here able to
hear the difference in these output tubes?

What about the speakers & the room? Do the amps share those for your A vs B
comparison? If not, the comparison is invalid. JLS

side by side but different speakers the 22 comes with a vintage 30 the
50 with a black shadow 90 watt I think BUT we did plug his speaker into
my combo head AFTER turning his amp off and tried it that way too.
Ether

Harry J wrote:
"marc" wrote in message
newspOae.1976$pk5.1333@fed1read02...
The difficulty with making such comparisons is that one is usually
comparing totally different amps! You are having an opportunity to

really
weed out this factor and as you say, the difference to your ear is

hard to
detect.

To my mind that puts it in the not worth worrying about category.

----------

I use the THD Yellow Jacket 6L6 to EL84 adapters.
After hearing the EL84's in my '66 bassman, I have no intention of

putting
the 6L6's back in.

The clean tones have more of a chime and the OD breaks up quicker and

smoother.

Audio clip of it http://www.harryj.net/bassman.htm

Harry Jacobson
www.harryj.net

The overdriven lead tone is really nice. How was your Basmman modded?

--E

Harry J

"Ether" wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry J wrote:
"marc" wrote in message
[...]

---------
Audio clip of it http://www.harryj.net/bassman.htm

Thx, yes it is a hellacious amp to say the least
The EL-84's are rated between 15 and 20 watts, but with the bassman tranny
and efficient celestion G12H-80 speaker it is still way too loud for most
gigs.

Info about the mods are on the gear page of my site

Harry Jacobson
www.harryj.net

Ian Iveson

"kevin g" wrote

I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84...
...I'm using GE El34 ...

Which?

cheers, Ian

kevin g

Ian Iveson wrote:
"kevin g" wrote

I have a mesa 22 using 2 EL84...
...I'm using GE El34 ...

Which?

cheers, Ian

typo GE EL84

if I were using EL34 I'd just go with Svetlana's