Billy Boy (78's Rule!)

Default Burned on eBay

I just purchased, supposedly, a Dynaco PAS-3 pre-amp and an ST70 power
amp which were supposed to be in "mint" condition. However, the
pre-amp turned out to be a PAT-5 solid-state model rather than the
PAS-3 toob pre-amp. And the ST70 has weak distorted output in both
channels.

Question No. 1: Is the PAT-5 pre-amp anywhere near as desirable as the
PAS-3? Should I return the PAT-5 and demand a refund?

Question No. 2: If you were me, where would you start troubleshooting
the ST70?

kevin g

Billy Boy (78's Rule!) wrote:
I just purchased, supposedly, a Dynaco PAS-3 pre-amp and an ST70 power
amp which were supposed to be in "mint" condition. However, the
pre-amp turned out to be a PAT-5 solid-state model rather than the
PAS-3 toob pre-amp. And the ST70 has weak distorted output in both
channels.

Question No. 1: Is the PAT-5 pre-amp anywhere near as desirable as the
PAS-3? Should I return the PAT-5 and demand a refund?

Question No. 2: If you were me, where would you start troubleshooting
the ST70?

Anytime you buy on ebay ANYTIME you should only ever pay with a Credit
Card. Some sellers allow you to call it in direct for the others make
sure they accept paypal. Paypal is problematic if you are a seller
accepting money but as a buyer USING ONLY A CREDIT CARD not bank account
IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

That said with a credit card it's a simple matter of calling your credit
card company and having the charge reversed.

As for your win it's up to you but I would return both as one is not
what you bid on and I am assuming the other said mint working condition
so you paid appropriately for it and didn't get no deal for a fixer upper.

Any other ebay related questions you should check out

alt.marketing.online.ebay
Dan Nicotera

As others mentioned the pas5 is no where near the the pas3. Return it and
indicate misrepresentation
of posting.
As far as the st70, if it has the cloth leads on the transformers, has good
tubes, you may want to wangle with the seller. If you have never owned an
st70 before or worked on them then get more info on what you have and then
get some more info before making a decision.
Dan
"Billy Boy (78's Rule!)" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased, supposedly, a Dynaco PAS-3 pre-amp and an ST70 power
amp which were supposed to be in "mint" condition. However, the
pre-amp turned out to be a PAT-5 solid-state model rather than the
PAS-3 toob pre-amp. And the ST70 has weak distorted output in both
channels.

Question No. 1: Is the PAT-5 pre-amp anywhere near as desirable as the
PAS-3? Should I return the PAT-5 and demand a refund?

Question No. 2: If you were me, where would you start troubleshooting
the ST70?

Mal P

"kevin g" wrote in message
Billy Boy (78's Rule!) wrote:
[...]

Yes, but it can affect your credit rating too though...

Bruce C. Miller

Billy Boy (78's Rule!) wrote:
I just purchased, supposedly, a Dynaco PAS-3 pre-amp and an ST70

power
amp which were supposed to be in "mint" condition. However, the
pre-amp turned out to be a PAT-5 solid-state model rather than the
PAS-3 toob pre-amp. And the ST70 has weak distorted output in both
channels.

Question No. 1: Is the PAT-5 pre-amp anywhere near as desirable as

the
PAS-3? Should I return the PAT-5 and demand a refund?

Question No. 2: If you were me, where would you start troubleshooting
the ST70?

If you paid with PayPal, go to your "My Ebay" page and browse to the
old listing. Then click on the "report item not sent" or something to
that effect. This will open a dispute, which also applies to situations
where the seller sends something broken, the incorrect item, or
otherwise doesn't live up to his end of the deal. I usually demand a
refund from the seller first, but if that doesn't work then do this.

Like someone else said, Paypal tries to default you into paying with
your bank account, but always pay with credit card for that added
protection.

Also be sure to leave negative feedback for him as well, which will
cause his items to sell for less or not at all in the future.

west

"kevin g" wrote in message
Billy Boy (78's Rule!) wrote:
[...]

Hi Kevin,
What you said on RAT makes a lot of sense. I'm a bit leery of those sellers
who want a money order only. BTW: What if you use a PayPal credit card? Are
they as accommodating? Thanks.
Cordially,
west

Alan Rutlidge

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message
ups.com...
Billy Boy (78's Rule!) wrote:
[...]

My advice for what it's worth.....

In the case of complaint act quickly. Complain to eBay ASAP as suggested.
Sending you the wrong pre-amp and a faulty power amp is misrepresentation of
the goods.
You have more than reasonable grounds for complaint and to get your money +
freight costs back.

Don't be tardy in acting on this. Similar thing happened to me. One shonky
seller played the
decoy / delay tactics to the max and by then the allowable time period to
complain and leave
negative feedback had elapsed. Now I have a piece of faulty unrepairable
junk and he's got my cash.

I've been burnt 3 times on eBay. Now I only buy stuff I can pay COD and
inspect the goods at pick up from the seller. Limits what I can bid on but
saves me money in the long run.

Cheers,
Alan

Ebay scam or legit? Mikey Pro Audio 26 December 5th 04 11:07 PM
Ebay scam or legit? Mikey Pro Audio 0 December 3rd 04 06:08 PM
Ebay scammer? Raymond Pro Audio 14 October 10th 04 04:09 PM
ebay fraud alert George Pro Audio 9 August 20th 04 06:39 AM
Directed Amplifiers Captain Howdy Car Audio 173 December 31st 03 11:42 AM