Halbowitz

Default Help me with my car and some misconceptions i probably have

First off thanks for all your input in this matter.
Im no audiophile and know little about the specifics of amps so if i
sound dumb.. well, i guess i am, and thats where you come in.

Ok, had a band pass in my car. 2 10's. Sounded good. Ended up blowing a
speaker. Replaced them. Not sure if im getting the same bass i was
getting. Seems my older speakers could go to a louder volume with more
bass. These seem to poop out sooner and then have the bass break up.

My first possible misconception. I was under the school of thought that
the bigger the magnet the more bass the speaker could put out. The
speakers that i bought, the magnet, is about 2/3 the size of the
orginal. Is this magnet theory true at all?

Second possible misconception: I was also under the school of thought
that if your amp wasnt strong enough, at loud volumes, the speaker
would break up (Like its doing now) and if the amp was too strong that
the speakers would pop due to too much power. True or not true?

It seems im getting alot of, if not more, bass at lower volumes that i
was with the old speakers. But like i said, seems when i turn it up
loud the bass doesnt keep up like it used to.

Im running an offbrand 600 watt amp that is just powering the bandpass.
My head unit is 52x4 but i dont think that has an effect on the band
pass cos it goes through the amp first?

And on a side note, not sure my amp has any type of tweaking screw/knob
to set the amp for max output at any givin loudness but im going to
look during lunch.

Im going to return the speakers today if it comes back from you guys
that i should.. or im just going to hold onto them if it sounds like im
probably doing ok and im just being mental like i tend to do.

Thanks for the input again.
I appreciate it.

Magnet size means nothing. A good qaulity sub is what you need. Stay
away from swapmeet brands.

You can destroy and amp/subs with any amount of power with abuse. You
should not run your subs into distortion. And you should not run your
amp until it overheats all the time. If you set your gains properly you
should be ok.

Les

"Halbowitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
First off thanks for all your input in this matter.
Im no audiophile and know little about the specifics of amps so if i
sound dumb.. well, i guess i am, and thats where you come in.

Ok, had a band pass in my car. 2 10's. Sounded good. Ended up blowing a
speaker. Replaced them. Not sure if im getting the same bass i was
getting. Seems my older speakers could go to a louder volume with more
bass. These seem to poop out sooner and then have the bass break up.

My first possible misconception. I was under the school of thought that
the bigger the magnet the more bass the speaker could put out. The
speakers that i bought, the magnet, is about 2/3 the size of the
orginal. Is this magnet theory true at all?

Not really. Magnet size has nothing to do with bass output.

Second possible misconception: I was also under the school of thought
that if your amp wasnt strong enough, at loud volumes, the speaker
would break up (Like its doing now)

What do you mean by break up? If your amp does not have enough power to meet
your listening demands and you drive it to clipping then you could hear some
of that distortion. Although in a bandpass box that would be harder to hear
due to the design of the enclosure.

and if the amp was too strong that
the speakers would pop due to too much power.

If you drive the speakers beyond thier mechanical limits then you could hear
a pop sound of the speaker hitting the magnet.

Certain speakers are designed to work within a specified airspace according
to box design. I would suggest one of two things is happening.

The first is that you have innappropriate speakers for the box
parameters/design. This would be my first choice. Take them back and either
find something that works within your given box or buy a new box and
appropriate speakers.

Two: Your ears do not remember sounds all that well. It is possible that you
are hearing things that aren't there, or perhaps you are listening more
carefully and just didn't notice your other speakers did the same things.
This is less likely in my opinion in your case.

Les

MZ

My first possible misconception. I was under the school of thought that
the bigger the magnet the more bass the speaker could put out. The
speakers that i bought, the magnet, is about 2/3 the size of the
orginal. Is this magnet theory true at all?

Kinda sorta...well, not really. It's not a matter of how much bass it can
potentially give you, but rather how much bass it will put out *based on the
amount of power you're delivering to it*. This is essentially the
sensitivity of the speaker (among other things), and it dictates volume per
watt (not entirely true, but close enough). So, you may have just bought a
speaker that is less sensitive than the other one, so it's not playing as
loud and when it's starting to break up, what you might be hearing is your
amplifier clipping.

Then again, maybe you just bought an inferior speaker that just can't handle
as much as the old one. Or, it may just not like the bandpass box you put
it in.

Second possible misconception: I was also under the school of thought
that if your amp wasnt strong enough, at loud volumes, the speaker
would break up (Like its doing now) and if the amp was too strong that
the speakers would pop due to too much power. True or not true?

True. If your amp is powerful enough, it will reach its limits and start
delivering a distorted signal to the speaker. If the amp is too powerful,
the power might be too much for the speaker causing the speaker to generate
the distortion (and possibly blow).

It seems im getting alot of, if not more, bass at lower volumes that i
was with the old speakers. But like i said, seems when i turn it up
loud the bass doesnt keep up like it used to.

Im running an offbrand 600 watt amp that is just powering the bandpass.
My head unit is 52x4 but i dont think that has an effect on the band
pass cos it goes through the amp first?

Right.

And on a side note, not sure my amp has any type of tweaking screw/knob
to set the amp for max output at any givin loudness but im going to
look during lunch.

Im going to return the speakers today if it comes back from you guys
that i should.. or im just going to hold onto them if it sounds like im
probably doing ok and im just being mental like i tend to do.

I'd first try to dig up the manual for the speaker to see what kind of
enclosures are recommended and what size they should be. Once you verify
whether or not they're in the right box (if they're not, return the speaker
and get one that will live happily in a bandpass the size you have), then it
may be worth considering buying a new amp or more sensitive subs.

Halbowitz

thank you all for your educated input

jeffc

"Halbowitz" wrote in message
oups.com...

My first possible misconception. I was under the school of thought that
the bigger the magnet the more bass the speaker could put out.

Not really.

Second possible misconception: I was also under the school of thought
that if your amp wasnt strong enough, at loud volumes, the speaker
would break up (Like its doing now) and if the amp was too strong that
the speakers would pop due to too much power. True or not true?

More or less. It does sound likely that it's just a level adjustment
thing.