Default How to remove super glue accident from dashboard

Hi,

The other day I was installing some stereo equipment in my car. I had
a small need for some super glue, and I accidently got a drop of the
super glue on the face of my dashboard. By the time I realized it, it
had already dried. My dashboard is made out of plastic, but it is the
nicer looking plastic that has a semi-soft touch to it (not the really
hard cheapy looking plastic). I know fingernail polish is supposed to
remove super glue, but I believe it would damage the black dashboard.

Does anybody have any reccomendations as to how I can get this drop of
superglue off of my dashboard? Any tips or insight would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

wingman

Sorry to hear of this dude.. i dunno ask some people who work with
paint a lot.. like some body shop

FasDeth

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The other day I was installing some stereo equipment in my car. I had
a small need for some super glue, and I accidently got a drop of the
super glue on the face of my dashboard. By the time I realized it, it
had already dried. My dashboard is made out of plastic, but it is the
nicer looking plastic that has a semi-soft touch to it (not the really
hard cheapy looking plastic). I know fingernail polish is supposed to
remove super glue, but I believe it would damage the black dashboard.

Does anybody have any reccomendations as to how I can get this drop of
superglue off of my dashboard? Any tips or insight would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

If you try to pick it off, you will prob take some of the dash with it..
It actually 'melts' the two pieces being joined
Never heard of the nail polish remover thing.Careful . It might remove the
dye(color). I would test it first somewhere not noticeable..
I use this stuff often and would also like to hear any 'Tips or insight".
I call it stupid glue.. ie(Now look what you did stupid!).

-FasDeth

Manhole

I actually looked into how much a new dash would be just for fun...
$650

I think I will try Kevin's method of using the nail polish remover in
quick dabs. Thanks to all for your input.

Chad Wahls

"Manhole" wrote in message
oups.com...

I actually looked into how much a new dash would be just for fun...
$650

I think I will try Kevin's method of using the nail polish remover in
quick dabs. Thanks to all for your input.

Use non acetone, acetone will goo up the plastic fast and look quite ugly.

Chad

mark

Castle, or an auto body shop/supplier will have a general purpose
solvent. Use in an inconspicuos place to see if it discolors first.
Has worked awesome for me in the past

Chad Wahls wrote:
"Manhole" wrote in message
oups.com...

I actually looked into how much a new dash would be just for fun...
$650

I think I will try Kevin's method of using the nail polish remover in
quick dabs. Thanks to all for your input.

Use non acetone, acetone will goo up the plastic fast and look quite ugly.

Chad

Kevin McMurtrie

"Chad Wahls" wrote:

"Manhole" wrote in message
oups.com...

I actually looked into how much a new dash would be just for fun...
$650

I think I will try Kevin's method of using the nail polish remover in
quick dabs. Thanks to all for your input.

Use non acetone, acetone will goo up the plastic fast and look quite ugly.

Chad

Any solvent that dissolves superglue will probably cause some damage to
the dash too. Acetone will probably be the fastest superglue solvent so
that's what I'd try first, though under an edge where it doesn't show.

Sean Scott

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"Chad Wahls" wrote:

"Manhole" wrote in message
oups.com...

I actually looked into how much a new dash would be just for fun...
$650

I think I will try Kevin's method of using the nail polish remover in
quick dabs. Thanks to all for your input.

Use non acetone, acetone will goo up the plastic fast and look quite
ugly.

Chad

Any solvent that dissolves superglue will probably cause some damage to
the dash too. Acetone will probably be the fastest superglue solvent so
that's what I'd try first, though under an edge where it doesn't show.

If it is just a drop, have you thought about just forgetting about it, to me
it wouldnt be worth the trouble.
I would have just boughten a new dash if it bugged me that much, but Im like
that, not that Im rich mind you, im usually out of cash because of it but it
is the way I live, I have a friend who had his wheel bearing fail in an 89
cavalier and instead of paying 50 bucks for a new one, he is scouring
junkyards for a low milage car that uses the same wheel bearings so he can
save 30 or 40 bucks. Just isn't worth the trouble to me.

mark

You can also buy vinyl paint to repaint your dash(after the glue is
removed of course). Someone at a car detailer used it once on my old
car. It worked great, and never peeled. It is specific to each car
interior.

Sean Scott wrote:
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message

"Chad Wahls" wrote:

"Manhole" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

FasDeth

"mark" wrote in message
.. .
You can also buy vinyl paint to repaint your dash(after the glue is
removed of course). Someone at a car detailer used it once on my old car.
It worked great, and never peeled. It is specific to each car interior.

I was going to suggest the same...If there is some discoloring. But I would
hire a dye-guy to do it.. Its all in the prep..