Steve

Default What could cause my crackling sound in the sub?

Hello, I have an old original vintage OptiDrive 500 driving a single JL
12w0. I am getting crackling and popping sounds coming out of my sub. The
sounds seem to be constant in volume regardless of the volume of the source.
Even if the volume is turned all the way down I get these noises. It is
mainly in the first few minutes after turn on however it can show up at any
time seems.

Thanks.

MOSFET

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Hello, I have an old original vintage OptiDrive 500 driving a single JL
12w0. I am getting crackling and popping sounds coming out of my sub. The
sounds seem to be constant in volume regardless of the volume of the

source.
Even if the volume is turned all the way down I get these noises. It is
mainly in the first few minutes after turn on however it can show up at

any
time seems.

Thanks.

Crackling sounds are often due to lose wiring of some kind. There first
thing I would recommend is to go through your system and make sure there are
no lose wires, particularly lose or damaged RCA's.

If this noise is a recent occurrence and you had no problems before, damaged
or lose wiring is the most likely culprit. However, if your wiring is fine,
it may be emanating from somewhere in your car's electrical system. Perhaps
an accessory or computer in your car is malfunctioning and producing some
type of interference. If the alternator is malfunctioning, this can also
sometimes occur. Or, of course, perhaps your amp is finally giving up the
ghost.

MOSFET

Steve wrote:
Hello, I have an old original vintage OptiDrive 500 driving a single

JL
12w0. I am getting crackling and popping sounds coming out of my

sub. The
sounds seem to be constant in volume regardless of the volume of the

source.
Even if the volume is turned all the way down I get these noises. It

is
mainly in the first few minutes after turn on however it can show up

at any
time seems.

Thanks.

I think the ground connection is missing between amp and the chassis
ground.

Steve

Well, after replacing interconnects, head unit, ground and power wires, and
changing the location of the ground. The crackling noise is still pesent.
The dealer has deuced that the amp has a problem. They are goingto apply my
full purchase amunt to a different amp. One recommendation is a JL Audio
250/1. Any comments about this amp? I am driving a single 12" sub (JL
Audio 12w0) and it is in a standard cab full size pickup.

Steve

Sorry for the spelling and grammar in the previous post. I was obviously in
a hurry.