Garth D. Wiebe

Default AudioRail Technologies: CAT5 digital audio snake (32+32 channels)

AudioRail Technologies is a very small and very new startup company with
a highly simplified approach to aggregating many channels of digital
audio onto a Category 5 network cable using Ethernet transceiver technology.

Since we introduced our first product in late February, the AudioRail
ADAT rx32tx32, we have been shipping both domestically and
internationally, and it has been received well by our customers.

For those who are not familiar with us, we have developed a "digital
audio snake" product that sends 64 channels of audio (32 in each
direction) on a Category 5 network cable. It is the simplest, least
expensive, and least glamorous product of its class on the market, and
has extremely low latency (as little as 5 microseconds end to end, digital).

For more information, visit our "user friendly" website, which explains
our approach:

http://www.audiorail.com/simple.htm

Our technical website, http://www.audiorail.com, provides additional
FAQs and technical information, including schematics, PCB layout, parts
lists, test results, pointers to other companion products, and even
pointers to competing and higher-end approaches, which we try to discuss
fairly. We are committed to no hype and no marketing ploys. Our
product "simply works".

The bottom line for those who may not read on: Our price point is $500
per each 64-channel (32 rx + 32 tx) point of connection on a CAT5 daisy
chain of two or more units, up to 330 feet (100 meters) per hop, or
thousands of feet or even miles with the purchase of additional Cat5 to
datacomms fiber converters.

Each "point of connection" for our first product is four pairs (rx + tx)
of ADAT lightpipe digital audio, to which you can directly connect your
choice of digital mixing consoles, A/D and D/A converters, pro-grade PC
sound cards, digital multitrack recorders, and other similar equipment,
as needed. Each "ADAT lightpipe" is 8 channels of up to 24 bit digital
audio at 44.1K/48K, (or 88.2K/96K, using a standard scheme that reduces
it to 4 channels per lightpipe).

The least expensive A/D + D/A converters available start at $230 for a
16 channel, 8 mic/line in + 8 line out unit (the Behringer ADA8000).
The least expensive digital mixer interface card is the $130 Behringer
ADT1616 (16 in + 16 out) for their DDX3216 digital mixer. ADAT
lightpipe, developed by Alesis, has become a widespread option for
digital audio in the professional audio industry.

We are still struggling with getting adequate exposure in the market, as
we do not have the money to launch expensive advertising campaigns. Most
people find out about our product through web searches, online forums,
seeing our product deployed somewhere, casual contact with one of our
customers, or other word of mouth. Also hindering mass exposure is that
we are still doing only direct sales, and do not have retail
distribution channels or domestic/international sales reps. However,
this does currently benefit all customers with true wholesale pricing.

We hope that readers of this forum will keep us in mind for applications
where our product would be appropriate.

Steve Maki

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:07:09 GMT, "Garth D. Wiebe" wrote:

[...]

big snip

We are still struggling with getting adequate exposure in the market, as
we do not have the money to launch expensive advertising campaigns. Most
people find out about our product through web searches, online forums,
seeing our product deployed somewhere, casual contact with one of our
customers, or other word of mouth. Also hindering mass exposure is that
we are still doing only direct sales, and do not have retail
distribution channels or domestic/international sales reps. However,
this does currently benefit all customers with true wholesale pricing.

We hope that readers of this forum will keep us in mind for applications
where our product would be appropriate.

As the owner of a pair of these units which were probably among the
very first off the line, I can wholeheartedly recommend them without
reserve. They've been flawless in a wide variety of applications.

Well done Garth.

--
Steve Maki
Garth D. Wiebe

Steve Maki wrote:

As the owner of a pair of these units which were probably among the
very first off the line, I can wholeheartedly recommend them without
reserve. They've been flawless in a wide variety of applications.

Well done Garth.

Thanks for the positive feedback. We don't pester customers after a
sale, and appreciate hearing back from them when they take the
initiative to do so.