Posted to rec.audio.pro
saxxml saxxml is offline

Default New Member TEAC 3340 Reel to Reel

Hello

I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

Micket

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

saxxml wrote:
I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

1. Check the heads. If the heads look okay and the gaps have not opened
up, fix it. If the heads are bad it's not worth the investment.

2. Replace the capstan belt and the pinch roller. You might as well replace
the round belt for the tape counter as well, not that the tape counter was
ever useful, but it's only a couple bucks.

3. Replace every damn electrolytic in the whole thing before doing anything
else. Don't even think of doing any diagnosis until you have replaced them
all. You are wasting time if you do not do this.

4. Check for cold solder joints. Most of what goes wrong with these machines
other than electrolytics are the result of poor wave soldering from
early wave soldering technology. If it looks bad, reflow it.

5. Why would you replace the bias oscillator board? Is it missing or
physically damaged? If it is cracked it can be patched.

6. Follow the lubrication directions in the manual and clean everything up
in the tape path before applying power to anything.

Do not hire a tech who is not willing to do this in this order.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

saxxml wrote:
Hello

I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

** Just had a call this morning aobut servicing and Otari 4-track that has long been out of use. The owner has no 1/4 inch tape and nor do I.
I warned him old tape will gum the heads over and over.
He has no use for the machine, just would like it going.

No thank you.

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rwri...@dslextreme.com is offline

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 4:21:52 PM UTC-7, saxxml wrote:
Hello

I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

Micket

Hi ~ I have a low-hours 3340S that fell over and sustained damage to the head stack/switch assembly. The rest of the machine is fine. I'm ready to put it out with the trash! Anyone who wants it for the price of shipping from Los Angeles is welcome to it. Local pickup would do me a great favor! ~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 8:59:56 AM UTC-7, Roy W. Rising wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 4:21:52 PM UTC-7, saxxml wrote:
Hello

I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

Hi ~ I have a low-hours 3340S that fell over and sustained damage to the head stack/switch assembly. The rest of the machine is fine. I'm ready to put it out with the trash! Anyone who wants it for the price of shipping from Los Angeles is welcome to it. Local pickup would do me a great favor! ~ Roy

I see there's some confusion regarding my ID & email. I'm Roy W. Rising -

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 9:34:47 AM UTC-7, Roy W. Rising wrote:
On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 8:59:56 AM UTC-7, Roy W. Rising wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 4:21:52 PM UTC-7, saxxml wrote:
Hello

I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

Hi ~ I have a low-hours 3340S that fell over and sustained damage to the head stack/switch assembly. The rest of the machine is fine. I'm ready to put it out with the trash! Anyone who wants it for the price of shipping from Los Angeles is welcome to it. Local pickup would do me a great favor! ~ Roy

I see there's some confusion regarding my ID & email. I'm Roy W. Rising -

My local pickup offer has been accepted. Thanks, ~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:
** Just had a call this morning aobut servicing and Otari 4-track that has long been out of use. The owner has no 1/4 inch tape and nor do I.
I warned him old tape will gum the heads over and over.
He has no use for the machine, just would like it going.

No thank you.

Well, some old tape will gum it up, but old 641 will be just fine.

Greencorp in Queensland is now making 1/4" tape. It's not anything super
exciting but it's entirely serviceable.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
saxxml saxxml is offline

wrote:

Hi ~ I have a low-hours 3340S that fell over and sustained damage

to the head stack/switch assembly. The rest of the machine is fine.
I'm ready to put it out with the trash! Anyone who wants it for the
price of shipping from Los Angeles is welcome to it. Local pickup
would do me a great favor! ~ Roy

Roy,

Having a donor deck would be great but I can't image shipping it
across the country. It might bring you some cash to advertise it
locally on Craigslist. Thanks for responding and good luck.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...3579#567203579