Posted to rec.audio.pro
ConcernedAudiophile ConcernedAudiophile is offline

Default was recommending a Presonus E5 smart advice?

I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix artist
for a monitor at low cost. According to my research, this model seems
to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and most often after
warranty. Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the buyer should beware
and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/03/2018 6:43 AM, ConcernedAudiophile wrote:
I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix artist
for a monitor at low cost.Â* According to my research, this model seems
to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and most often after
warranty.Â* Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the buyer should beware
and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.

If that is the case, and if like an active monitor that I regularly
service , problem possibly due to poor quality, poorly positioned, or
low-spec reservoir capacitors in the power supplies that bulge and/or
spew their guts out.

In a small box like this they may benefit from being swapped out for
105° caps.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

ConcernedAudiophile wrote:
I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix artist
for a monitor at low cost.Â* According to my research, this model seems
to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and most often after
warranty.Â* Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the buyer should beware
and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.

I would not recommend a Presonus anything. I've seen too many
of them go into self-protection for no apparent reason.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/01/2018 05:25 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
ConcernedAudiophile wrote:
I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix
artist for a monitor at low cost.Â* According to my research, this
model seems to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and most
often after warranty.Â* Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the buyer
should beware and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.

I would not recommend a Presonus anything. I've seen too many
of them go into self-protection for no apparent reason.

Wow, guys, thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I didn't come across the
blown fuses issue until reading this thread earlier today.

Well, these are both new and can be returned. I wonder if I should and
then go with the passive monitors with amp?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/03/2018 3:40 PM, JBI wrote:
On 03/01/2018 05:25 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
ConcernedAudiophile wrote:
I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix
artist for a monitor at low cost.Â* According to my research, this
model seems to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and
most often after warranty.Â* Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the
buyer should beware and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.

I would not recommend a Presonus anything. I've seen too many
of them go into self-protection for no apparent reason.

Wow, guys, thanks for the info!Â* Unfortunately, I didn't come across the
blown fuses issue until reading this thread earlier today.

Well, these are both new and can be returned.Â* I wonder if I should and
then go with the passive monitors with amp?

Overreaction. Return them if they start blowing fuses. If they don't
then just continue to use them like most satisfied users do.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/1/2018 9:40 PM, JBI wrote:
Unfortunately, I didn't come across the blown fuses issue until reading
this thread earlier today.

Well, these are both new and can be returned.Â* I wonder if I should and
then go with the passive monitors with amp?

Keep what you have and learn to use them. If something goes wrong, get
them fixed under the warranty. There's no need for you to go back to
square one now.

You purchased a reasonable product from a conscientious manufacturer at
a good price. You heard about a blown fuse from someone who you don't
know who heard about it on line from others who he doesn't know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
On 2/03/2018 6:43 AM, ConcernedAudiophile wrote:
I am referring to the recent suggestion(s) here for a wannabe mix artist
for a monitor at low cost.Â* According to my research, this model seems
to have an issue blowing fuses after a year or so and most often after
warranty.Â* Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the buyer should beware
and perhaps go with unactive speakers with an amp.

If that is the case, and if like an active monitor that I regularly
service , problem possibly due to poor quality, poorly positioned, or
low-spec reservoir capacitors in the power supplies that bulge and/or
spew their guts out.

I've never used one of the Presonus monitors, but I will say that this is
pretty much typical for all the equipment at this price point. They cut
corners to bring the price down as much as possible and invariably something
gets cut a bit too much.

The good news is that usually when it fails, a competent tech can fix the
original design problems.

In a small box like this they may benefit from being swapped out for
105° caps.

Yeah, in professional situations it's not unusual for consumer-grade gear coming
into the studio to just get that sort of upgrade right out of the box before
first using it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , JBI wrote:

Wow, guys, thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I didn't come across the
blown fuses issue until reading this thread earlier today.

This is how bargain basement gear is.

Well, these are both new and can be returned. I wonder if I should and
then go with the passive monitors with amp?

Maybe, but listen to what you have and decide if you like it. If you like
how it sounds and you can work with it, then wait until it fails and then
fix it. If you don't, then take it back as soon as possible.

smart AGC? peter Pro Audio 12 August 21st 06 05:08 AM
look all you smart- bob wald Car Audio 0 March 7th 06 08:40 PM
look all you smart- bob wald Car Audio 5 March 7th 06 04:15 PM
Alan Smart C2 Stereo Compressor , Like SSL , Neve Alan Smart C2 Stereo Compressor , Like SSL , Neve FA : Alan Smart C2 Stereo Compressor stereobeatz Pro Audio 0 March 25th 04 11:20 PM