Posted to rec.audio.pro
alice alice is offline

Default Very strange problem - certain sound input causes input device tochange

So I've been using Audition 1.5 and an M-audio Firewire 410 input
device for well over a year now, no problems.
Recently I've been recording from old record players, starting and
stopping the player, changing the speed, basically warping the vinyl
records as I record them.
Today I started trying to record several tracks of starting and
quickly stopping the record player. This works for about 20-30 second,
then suddenly the sound stops, audition stops recording, the marker
point keeps moving but even the colored background the is created as
it normally records goes away. When I stop to check the input device,
it has changed from the Firewire 410 to 'IDT Audio 1'. A reboot brings
things back to normal.
If I record anything else, or play back what I have so far of the
session, everything is fine, but as soon as I start recording the
turntable starting and stopping, the same thing happens. It's as if
this type of sound causes the hardware or softare or OS to suddenly in
mid-recording change the input device.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I didn't think it would
matter what sound is going in, how can that affect things this way?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"alice" wrote ...
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I didn't think it would
matter what sound is going in, how can that affect things this way?

Old Vaudeville act that is likely older than you are...
Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:41:55 -0700 (PDT), alice
wrote:

[...]

"Starting and stopping," huh... I imagine you're toggling the
turntable's power switch and that generates a big spike that gets into
the computer and mucking with the soundcard setting.

There may be a few things you could do, but I second Richard's
advice. I wouldn't want to turn anything on OR off anywhere near a
turntable while recording from it.

It's as if
this type of sound causes the hardware or softare or OS to suddenly in
mid-recording change the input device.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I didn't think it would
matter what sound is going in, how can that affect things this way?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

"alice" wrote in message
So I've been using Audition 1.5 and an M-audio Firewire 410 input
device for well over a year now, no problems.
Recently I've been recording from old record players, starting and
stopping the player, changing the speed, basically warping the vinyl
records as I record them.
Today I started trying to record several tracks of starting and
quickly stopping the record player. This works for about 20-30 second,
then suddenly the sound stops, audition stops recording, the marker
point keeps moving but even the colored background the is created as
it normally records goes away. When I stop to check the input device,
it has changed from the Firewire 410 to 'IDT Audio 1'. A reboot brings
things back to normal.

In Audition go to options / device order / recording devices
move everything but the firewire to unused recording devices
make sure the firewire has a [EV} after it