Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dan Dan is offline

Default walls, insulation help!

Hello all. I am new to this group and this is my post, but hopefully
you can give me a hand. I along with a very good friend of mine are
building a studio in the house him and his wife just bought. We play
alot of acoustic stuff. We plan to put a old jazz set down there. (its
in the basement) and the whole works. The walls are concrete, and we
know that concrete barely absorbs any of the sound! The problem could
easily be solved if we wanted to deaden all sound, but we want to get a
slightly natural warm reverb sound and therefor don't want to deaden
all the sound. We'll be micing the acoustic and we dont want to use
post-production to achieve reverb. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Dan wrote:

Hello all. I am new to this group and this is my post, but hopefully
you can give me a hand. I along with a very good friend of mine are
building a studio in the house him and his wife just bought. We play
alot of acoustic stuff. We plan to put a old jazz set down there. (its
in the basement) and the whole works. The walls are concrete, and we
know that concrete barely absorbs any of the sound! The problem could
easily be solved if we wanted to deaden all sound, but we want to get a
slightly natural warm reverb sound and therefor don't want to deaden
all the sound. We'll be micing the acoustic and we dont want to use
post-production to achieve reverb. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

1. Go to Ethan Winer's site, and read up on absorption.

www.realtraps.com

2. Wait until yiou hear the room's reverb before you decide that's what
you want to use. It might not be what you imagine it will be.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "Dan" wrote:
Hello all. I am new to this group and this is my post, but hopefully
you can give me a hand. I along with a very good friend of mine are
building a studio in the house him and his wife just bought. We play
alot of acoustic stuff. We plan to put a old jazz set down there. (its
in the basement) and the whole works. The walls are concrete, and we
know that concrete barely absorbs any of the sound! The problem could
easily be solved if we wanted to deaden all sound, but we want to get a
slightly natural warm reverb sound and therefor don't want to deaden
all the sound. We'll be micing the acoustic and we dont want to use
post-production to achieve reverb. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

By concrete are you talking cinder blocks? They are not really too bad
unpainted. Looks like hell, but its effective.

greg