BravesCharm

Default Opinions on buying Klipsch speakers

I am thinking of buying Yamaha HTR5790
receiver(http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5790.htm). Now
I've been looking at 5.1 Small Klipsch Bookshelf
Speaker(http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/bu.../1094584832662)
and was wondering if these speakers can handle the Yamaha HTR5790
receiver. I was also thinking of getting the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra
5.1(satellite speakers,
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/PROMEDIAULTRA51?mv_pc=bizrate!!b_id=18),
but I thinking these speakers would get blown if I put the receiver
volume up to high.

Also, in general how good are Klipsch speakers? Can I get any other
speakers cheaper that are just as good?

Thanks,
Michael

Ian S

You might want to also look at the HSU Ventriloquist
(http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html) coupled with an acclaimed HSU sub. They
knock $100 of a package deal so with their STF-2,
(http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html) it would be $599 plus shipping. The
Ventriloquist is actually a 6.1 system that is also designed to be connected
to a 5.1 receiver.

BravesCharm

HTR5790 receiver only puts out 110 watts a channel, would it be
overkill to get STF-2 and get STF-1 instead?

Alex Rodriguez

In article .com,
says...

I am thinking of buying Yamaha HTR5790
receiver(
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5790.htm). Now
I've been looking at 5.1 Small Klipsch Bookshelf

don't look, listen. That's how you should be deciding which speakers to
get. Listen to different speakers in your price range and then pick the
ones that sound best to you.

Speaker(http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/bu.../1094584832662)
and was wondering if these speakers can handle the Yamaha HTR5790
receiver. I was also thinking of getting the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra
5.1(satellite speakers,
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/PROMEDIAULTRA51?mv_pc=bizrate!!b_

id=18),
but I thinking these speakers would get blown if I put the receiver
volume up to high.

Any speaker can be damaged if you do something stupid. If you listen, you
will not damage your speakers. Slowly turn up the volume. If the sound
starts to distort, that's your clue that either speakers or the a amplifier
are at or near their limits. Turn the level down a bit.
---------------
Alex

BravesCharm

don't look, listen. That's how you should be deciding which speakers
get. Listen to different speakers in your price range and then pick

the
ones that sound best to you.

I have been. I've listened to the Klipsch bigger speakers Best Buy had
setup which sounded outstanding but to expensive for me. However, Best
Buy couldn't hook up the smaller ones because they were closing for the
night. I think I will go down tomorrow to listen to those. I've
listened to some Sony satellite speakers that sounded pretty good for
small speakers, however it was not playing surround sound.

I'm also kind of iffy when it comes to front satellite speakers with
music.

Any speaker can be damaged if you do something stupid. If you listen,

you
will not damage your speakers. Slowly turn up the volume. If the

sound
starts to distort, that's your clue that either speakers or the a

amplifier
are at or near their limits. Turn the level down a bit.

This is true. However, I don't want to listen to something at the
store that sounds good but after bringing it home to find out I can
only turn the volume up 50% of the way before it starts to distort.

That is why I was looking at the Klipsch Surround Speaker and it said
50 Watts Maximum Continuous (200 Watts Peak)

Am I right in thinking if my receiver puts out 110 watts per speaker
with the volume up all the way, this should be enough because the
surround speakers will never have continuous voltage this high?

Front speakers have these specs
75 Watts Maximum Continuous (300 Watts Peak) Power Handling
Once again, the receiver i'm getting puts out 110 watts per speaker, if
I listen to music on these front speakers, most likely I will blow them
if the volume is up all the way for a long time?

I am kind of new to audio so just want some advise on how likely you
could blow these Klipsch speakers with the Yamaha HTR5790

dave weil

On 16 Feb 2005 11:18:00 -0800, "BravesCharm"
wrote:

This is true. However, I don't want to listen to something at the
store that sounds good but after bringing it home to find out I can
only turn the volume up 50% of the way before it starts to distort.

Keep in mind that you ned to consider the fact that different volume
controls have different "ratios" between lowest and highest volume
levels. An 11:00 position on one receiver/integrated amp's volume
control can be the equivalent of 2:00 on another.

To me, you'll have better control if the volume control is set up to
require you to "turn it up". IOW, you have less flexibility in an amp
whose volume control reaches max level sooner than later, if this
makes any sense.
Ian S

"BravesCharm" wrote in message
oups.com...
HTR5790 receiver only puts out 110 watts a channel, would it be
overkill to get STF-2 and get STF-1 instead?

Both of those subs have their own power supplies built in so they don't rely
on the receiver's power. I would get as powerful a sub as you can afford.
The receiver you're looking at has plenty of power for virtually any speaker
system you might be considering. The only caveat might be those speaker
systems that have a low impedance (4 ohm) and that you can easily ascertain.
Most Home Theater speaker systems will be 8 ohm not 4.

Others have rightly suggested that you try to listen to the speakers you are
considering preferably connected to your receiver. In practice that can be
hard to do since the best sounding speakers in a store's listening room may
not be the best sounding in your own room at home. Ideally, whomever you buy
from should have a liberal return policy (HSU's is 30 day).

I just replaced my Bose Accoustimass system with the Ventriloquist setup. I
already had one of HSU's older tube subwoofers with separate power supply
and I am very happy with the results.

jeffc

"BravesCharm" wrote in message
oups.com...

Am I right in thinking if my receiver puts out 110 watts per speaker
with the volume up all the way, this should be enough because the
surround speakers will never have continuous voltage this high?

You're not really thinking in the right terms. It really doesn't have to do
with "the volume up all the way". Think of it like this. When you turn the
volume knob, you're increasing or decreasing the input signal. So first of
all, it depends on how high the input signal is. It is higher on some CDs
than others, and higher in some spots on the CD than others. Your amplifier
is then asked to increase the signal coming from your volume knob. It
either can or can't do that. If it can't, it will send a clipped off,
distorted signal to your speakers. This is not necessarily going to be
damaging to your speakers. It's kind of like pushing your gas pedal down.
You can put it to the floor, but your car will only go so fast as a maximmum
no matter how hard you push that gas pedal. However, your engine is not
going to have a problem with it, unless you're redlining. Likewise, your
speakers will not have a problem with your amp signal unless it's starting
to burn the voice coil or something.

So to answer your question, with the volume all the way up, your amp might
be putting out 1 watt and it might be putting out 150 watts. And your
speakers can handle being driven too hard for short periods or bursts
without damage, even though *they* might sound distorted. It takes time for
the voice coils to heat up and cool down. The more juice you pump into
them, the more quickly they will overheat and the longer it takes to cool
before they can handle the next burst.

In many cases this is not really true, at least in human terms, i.e.
some voice coils that can get hot very fast. Other types of tweeter
such as piezo, ribbons, et al, can have little or no "give", they go
from live to dead very suddenly. The only sure cure is to purchase
speakers positively rated for the peak SPL you want , provide
sufficient power to never clip, figure (measure) total system power
gain, and play back (in the case of digital) such that "digital zero"
can never exceed this level. However this isn't practical.

The common sense approach is to provide plenty of power, use amps
with soft clipping characteristics, and don't listen too ****in' loud.
And don't buy speakers you can't afford to put new drivers in or have
them reconed/rebuilt should you blow one. One big point in favor of
Klipsch and Altec classic horns.