Tenpro3000

Default Best Universal Player under $350?

Hi,I would like to hear from anyone who would like to offer an informed opinion
as to which is the best universal player(Sacd/dvd-a) under $350 and why. Is cd
upsampling of practical value?I will be using this for 2 channel audio and
video performance is not a priority.
Gizmo

(Tenpro3000) wrote in message ...
Hi,I would like to hear from anyone who would like to offer an informed opinion
as to which is the best universal player(Sacd/dvd-a) under $350 and why. Is cd
upsampling of practical value?I will be using this for 2 channel audio and
video performance is not a priority.

There are not many players that do both DVD-A & SACD at that price. I
chose the Pioneer DV-575A. Which was incredibly just £130 at
www.richersounds.com . I teamed this up with a Cambridge Audio Azur
540R (a budget AV Amp), and my vintage Tannoy 602 speakers. The
Pioneer plays just about any kind of disk you can throw at it
including JPG's MP3 WMA etc.

The reason I bought it was it got 5 stars in every hi-fi magazine I
read. I have to say the machine doesn't disapoint. Personally I think
it handles DVD-A slightly better than SACD, a mini review (On sound
quality rather than content) -

Bjork - Medulla - DVD-A - Excellent
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad - DVD-A - Execellent
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - SACD - Very Good
The Eagles - Hotel Cslifornia - DVD-A - Very Good
Snow Patrol - Final Straw - SACD - Very Good
Michael Nyman - The Piano - SACD - Very Good
Roxy Music - Avalon - SACD - Good

IMHO Its only worth moving up if you also move to 5.1, otherwise you
will miss out on what the artist intended i.e. Bjork/Medulla

You might also want to look at the budget Denon range.
Shimrod

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:19:10 +0000, Tenpro3000 wrote:

Hi,I would like to hear from anyone who would like to offer an informed opinion
as to which is the best universal player(Sacd/dvd-a) under $350 and why. Is cd
upsampling of practical value?I will be using this for 2 channel audio and
video performance is not a priority.

If you can afford to go to the $400 class, the Yamaha 1500 is a very good
value. I am extremely pleased with mine. Shop around, I actually paid
$375 for mine.

Shimrod

Universal Disc Player Peter General 2 May 21st 04 06:07 AM
Universal Disc Player Peter Tech 0 May 21st 04 03:32 AM
Universal Disc Player Peter Audio Opinions 2 May 20th 04 05:59 PM
High-end AV receiver / universal DVD player advice. Simon Long High End Audio 11 February 17th 04 07:37 AM
Denon 5900 Universal Player - I'm In Bliss Davidlown High End Audio 3 November 7th 03 08:32 PM