Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default New Speakers raise the bar

Just spent several hours auditioning a pair of the new Martin Logan CLX full
range electrostatics. At around $20K, they are a revelation. I have never
heard as accurate a pair of speakers in my life * and not by a small margin,
either. They simply disappear. Everything sounds absolutely real. Played the
Zampf "re-performance" of Glenn Gould's 1955 Bach 'Goldberg Variations' (this
is where a computer program "listens" to Gould's original 1955 master tape
and "extracts" a midi file from it that can be played back on a Yamaha
DisKlavier system) and the piano is right there in the room. Listening to
Professor K.O. Johnson's recent recording of the Rachmaninoff 'Symphonic
Dances' was like hearing it for the first time. Such a soundstage,
unbelievable imaging and unlike many ES speakers a "sweet spot" that extends
more than 60 degrees from the center position. For the first time in my life,
I have heard a stereo system that sounds like real, live music being played
in real space. The only place where the speakers fall down a bit is in
bottom-end extension. In most rooms they are good down to perhaps 40 Hz (and
they are spec'd only to 56 Hz +/- 3dB in an anechoic chamber), but as the M-L
rep said, "Bass is cheap" and indeed, after spending that much money for a
pair of speakers, what's another 2K or so for a pair of subs? The bass that
is there is the fastest, tightest, most articulate bottom I've ever
experienced. The drum solo of Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five' has never revealed
such detail, such realism. At the same time, these speakers mercilessly
expose the Brubeck disc for the three-channel mono affair that it is. These
speakers require a large room. Not only are they physically imposing at more
than 2 ft wide and almost 6-ft tall but they can easily overload smaller
rooms as I heard last night.

You owe it to yourself to give these speakers a listen. They will leave you
both flabbergasted and wondering "where can I find the $20K to buy these and
how do I convince the wife..." If I ever saw a product worth selling one's
soul to the devil to own, this is it.

The usual disclaimer: I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with,
Martin Logan other than I own a pair of their (more modest) speakers. I am
simply enthusiastic about what I heard and wanted to pass it along to the
rest of you on this forum.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the review. One question; what was the associated equipment
driving these speakers? Since you say they are highly revealing and
accurate, did you have a chance to hear them with a $295 receiver and $100
CD player while you were at it, to make sure what you heard was all due to
the speakers?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:52:03 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

They were using a Levinson amp and a Classe preamp when I got there. After
about an hour, they replaced the Classe with a Levinson preamp. As soon as
they turned on the Levinson and music began to play, the store "guy" sighed
and said, "That's better". There was no difference that I could detect. The
source was a Wadia combo SACD/CD player. What I heard was the speakers. No
electronics could make any speakers that were less than stellar sound THAT
magnificent.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Sonnova wrote:
Just spent several hours auditioning a pair of the new Martin Logan CLX full
range electrostatics. At around $20K, they are a revelation. I have never
heard as accurate a pair of speakers in my life * and not by a small margin,
either...

Perhaps this is true. Perhaps your observations are the result of
expectation bias.

Objectivists are quick to point out that there are real differences
between some types of components - such as speakers and microphones - so
blind testing to establish differences is less useful. Indeed, blind
testing of speaker systems is especially tricky. Still, expectation bias
is just as likely to intrude when evaluating a speaker system as it is
with an amplifier, for example. And, given the imposing nature of some
speaker systems, it's possible that expectation bias is especially
likely to be a factor.

This is why many subjectivist audiophiles prefer to evaluate components
using long term listening. Over time, the genuine qualities of a
component tend to emerge.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:54:30 -0700, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

Whatever. Speakers aren't amps or interconnects and vary wildly in both
their approach to recreating sound and the sound that they produce. A pair of
Magneplanars do not sound like a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppies and only a fool
would expect them to as they use wildly different technologies and
methodologies to produce their individual sound . Speakers are one component
where listening is the only practical way to evaluate them. One could use D-B
methodologies, but in this case, I do not see the point. With amps,
interconnects, green pens and myrtlewood blocks we are D-B testing to
ascertain WHETHER there is really a difference between before and after
(applying these dubious tweaks), or between A and B. With speakers, we
already KNOW that there is a difference as no speaker is perfect nor does any
one speaker brand or model do all things well. Simple physics tells us that
this has to be true. The same physics that tells us that Interconnects and
speaker cable can have no "sound" and that all modern amplifiers will sound
alike. With speakers we are merely listening to hear which set of
reproduction compromises with which we are willing to live.

The CLXs have fewer compromises than any speakers I've ever heard at any
price up to more than 5X their $20,000 asking price. I've never heard
speakers that cost more than $100,000 pair, but they do exist. If they sound
better than these Martin-Logans, I'd love to know how.

But certainly, don't take my word for it. Arrange to hear them yourself. If
you do, take along your favorite recordings. You're in for a treat!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

C. Leeds wrote:
Sonnova wrote:
Just spent several hours auditioning a pair of the new Martin Logan CLX full
range electrostatics. At around $20K, they are a revelation. I have never
heard as accurate a pair of speakers in my life * and not by a small margin,
either...

Perhaps this is true. Perhaps your observations are the result of
expectation bias.

Correct.

Objectivists are quick to point out that there are real differences
between some types of components - such as speakers and microphones - so
blind testing to establish differences is less useful. Indeed, blind
testing of speaker systems is especially tricky. Still, expectation bias
is just as likely to intrude when evaluating a speaker system as it is
with an amplifier, for example. And, given the imposing nature of some
speaker systems, it's possible that expectation bias is especially
likely to be a factor.

Correct.

This is why many subjectivist audiophiles prefer to evaluate components
using long term listening. Over time, the genuine qualities of a
component tend to emerge.

Or, perhaps your observations are the result of expectation bias.

"Long term listening" does not obviate the need for 'sighted' controls.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

It is quite possible you were "expecting" no difference and the salesman was
"expecting" a difference.
I'd still be interested in what they sound like pushed, say, by an older
Bryston, a Dynaco 416, or some other amp often claimed to sound "no
different".

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 17:39:42 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I wasn't expecting anything, but certainly the sales guy was,
otherwise he wouldn't have swapped-out the Levinson for the Classe.

I'd still be interested in what they sound like pushed, say, by an older
Bryston, a Dynaco 416, or some other amp often claimed to sound "no
different".

So would I. I suspect that the difference would be how well the older amps
tolerate an impedance of 0.7 ohms at 20 KHz.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:07:06 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

C. Leeds wrote:
Sonnova wrote:
[...]

I recall when M-L came out with the Prodigy model loudspeaker about 8 years
ago. I hated them, thought the bass sounded terrible on them. What a
disappointment they were.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Would the speakers tolerate any appreciable signal @ 20 KHz ? If they did,
maybe newborns might capable of hearing it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Sonnova wrote:
Just spent several hours auditioning a pair of the new Martin Logan CLX full
range electrostatics. At around $20K, they are a revelation. I have never
heard as accurate a pair of speakers in my life * and not by a small margin,
either. They simply disappear. Everything sounds absolutely real.

Played the
Zampf "re-performance" of Glenn Gould's 1955 Bach 'Goldberg Variations' (this
is where a computer program "listens" to Gould's original 1955 master tape
and "extracts" a midi file from it that can be played back on a Yamaha
DisKlavier system) and the piano is right there in the room. Listening to
Professor K.O. Johnson's recent recording of the Rachmaninoff 'Symphonic
Dances' was like hearing it for the first time. Such a soundstage,
unbelievable imaging

i know the zampf disc is SACD (both 2 channel and "surround" although
the writeup included provides no detail (!) about what they did for
mikes for the surround) with also a pretty decent 2nd layer (standard
redbook CD)

is the K.O. Johnson 'Symphonic Dances' also a SACD disc?

anyway, nice to know that Johnson is still kickin' as i have
the CD, dated 1990, titled "Eileen Farrell Sings Torch Songs" (RR-34CD)
where he was the recording engineer (he already looked pretty old
in the picture on the CD back cover (that happened to show him during
the recording)

if you didn't ID the preamp in one of your other responses(?)
do you remember what is was? if not, was it a 2 channel pre,
or a 5+ channel pre/pro?

snip
The usual disclaimer: I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with,
Martin Logan other than I own a pair of their (more modest) speakers. I am
simply enthusiastic about what I heard and wanted to pass it along to the
rest of you on this forum.

given what you've posted, even at $20k/pair (and current hard times),
demand should be high for awhile

bill

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
willbill wrote:

anyway, nice to know that Johnson is still kickin'

He sure is, and Reference is back with a vengeance. Notable recent
releases include two stunning disks conducted by the great Jerry Judkin:
one of wind band classics including Walton: Crown Imperial, and the
other is music by one of the best contemporary classical composers
around, David Maslanka, including perhaps his most popular work, A
Child's Garden of Dreams.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:37:09 -0700, Norman M. Schwartz wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure that 20KHz signal is present in the passband of most CDs. Whether it
is at any significant level, or whether or not You or I could hear it is
pretty irrelevant to the point that the speaker's impedance is less than one
ohm at that frequency.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:28:31 -0700, willbill wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

No. it's HDCD, which is to say, on most modern players, its RedBook (Windows
Media Player contains HDCD decoding (MS bought the company that developed it
-Pacific Micro), but few CD players do today.).

anyway, nice to know that Johnson is still kickin' as i have
the CD, dated 1990, titled "Eileen Farrell Sings Torch Songs" (RR-34CD)
where he was the recording engineer (he already looked pretty old
in the picture on the CD back cover (that happened to show him during
the recording)

if you didn't ID the preamp in one of your other responses(?)
do you remember what is was? if not, was it a 2 channel pre,
or a 5+ channel pre/pro?

When I got there, they were using a Classe preamp. While I was there, they
swapped it out for a Levinson. Don't know the model numbers, but I assume
both were 2-channel only.

snip
The usual disclaimer: I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with,
Martin Logan other than I own a pair of their (more modest) speakers. I am
simply enthusiastic about what I heard and wanted to pass it along to the
rest of you on this forum.

given what you've posted, even at $20k/pair (and current hard times),
demand should be high for awhile

bill

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

The point is that I would wish to protect my speaker and electronics by not
allowing for its reproduction. Since probably only local bats hear it, I'd
prefer to kill it before it kills my equipment. I'll take it for fact that
you yourself record sound of that frequency every day in your work, that
doesn't mean I'd like my equipment playing it for the pleasure of animals
other than humans. Is it correct that a speaker impedance of less than one
ohm (at any frequency) presents a severe stress to an amplifier?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

No, it's only a stress if there's any appreciable energy at that frequency,
and the amplifier isn't designed to cope. A Krell will be quite happy, even
with appreciable amounts of energy at 20kHz or any other frequency with a 1
ohm load, lesser amps won't be.

The problem with a load that drops to 1 ohm at 20 kHz is not what happens at
20k, where there isn't a lot of energy about, but what happens at, say,
10kHz where there is a lot more. Even if the impedance is 2 or 3 ohms at
10kHz, that could still stress lesser amps.

The answer with a 'speaker like this is to use an amp capable of driving 1
ohm happily, which needn't be a Krell, a fair few pro audio amps can manage
it quite well at a lot less money, or use a matching transformer, which,
however, will be expensive, so a better amp could be cheaper.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Rather than ending up with yet another endless and tedious theoretical
thread about the wheres and whyfores of listening comparisons, AB
tests, listener biases etc etc, I really do hope that someone will
take up Sonnova's suggestion and actually listen to a pair of CKXs and
report back on their impressions.

I'm unlikely to ever be in a position to be able to justify spending
that kind of money on a pair of speakers - but it's interesting to
hear about what true high-end speakers can aspire to, from "real"
high-end audio enthusiasts rather than salesmen and magazine
reviewers. Yes, of course the impressions will be heavily subjective
and inherently biased for all sorts of reasons, but let's hear them I
say!

Then it would be nice to know opinions on what would be considered
pretty good second bests in more realistic budget ranges. For
example, one of the more interesting recent postings brought the
AudioEngine 2 to my attention, a speaker that, having read the various
reports and opinions, sounds like something worth auditioning (though
it is, of course, built to fulfill a very particular role).

So...anyone else heard the CLX's yet?

On 9 Aug 2008 16:54:30 GMT, "C. Leeds" wrote:

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Don't miss this year's Out of the Slipstream Conference
Thursday 3rd July, Bletchley Park
http://www.outoftheslipstream.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Sonnova - could you tell us where you heard them, and describe the room size
and speaker positioning? And treatment around the speakers?

Good site to see what these speakers look like is

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/129...n-clx-speakers

or perhaps you have some photos of what you were listening to?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:15:49 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova - could you tell us where you heard them, and describe the room size
and speaker positioning? And treatment around the speakers?

I heard them at Future Sound in Burlingame CA.
The room was smallish (too small, in my estimation for the speakers; I'd say
it was 14 foot square). The speakers were about 8 foot apart on center and
set square to the listening position which was about 4 ft from the back of
the room. There was maybe 5 ft behind each speaker to the back wall. The
walls had corner traps in the corners in front of the speakers and largish
wall traps on the wall behind them (I'd say 4 X 4 ft). They had just been
set-up that afternoon by Martin-Logan's International sales manager, Peter
Soderberg and he admitted that the room wasn't ideal nor were the speaker
positions optimized. It didn't matter. Even with the speakers occasionally
overloading the room, they sounded so much more like real, unamplified music
playing in real space, that all else was soon forgotten. The electronics (as
if they would make any great difference) were a Mark Levinson power amp and
initially a Classe pre-amp which was changed-out while I was there to a
Levinson pre-amp. The source was a Wadia SACD/CD player (IIRC). I don't know
the model numbers of any of the components.

Good site to see what these speakers look like is

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/129...n-clx-speakers

or perhaps you have some photos of what you were listening to?

Sorry, I took no pictures - just listened.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Sink Robert Sink is offline

Rob Tweed writes:

Rather than ending up with yet another endless and tedious theoretical
thread about the wheres and whyfores of listening comparisons, AB
tests, listener biases etc etc, I really do hope that someone will
take up Sonnova's suggestion and actually listen to a pair of CKXs and
report back on their impressions.

[...]

There's also another bitter argument to be had with speakers: time &
phase accuracy.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:45:45 -0700, Robert Sink wrote
(in article ):

Rob Tweed writes:

Rather than ending up with yet another endless and tedious theoretical
thread about the wheres and whyfores of listening comparisons, AB
tests, listener biases etc etc, I really do hope that someone will
take up Sonnova's suggestion and actually listen to a pair of CKXs and
report back on their impressions.

[...]

There's also another bitter argument to be had with speakers: time &
phase accuracy.

A problem from which I doubt seriously that full range electrostatic speakers
would suffer.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DC[_3_] DC[_3_] is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

snip

Even with the speakers occasionally
overloading the room, they sounded so much more like real, unamplified
music

playing in real space, that all else was soon forgotten.

There have been two such "experiences" in my listening career. I still
remember the buzz!

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Robert Sink" wrote in message

There's also another bitter argument to be had with speakers: time &
phase accuracy.

No, that is not a problem at all. We are not doing "accuracy" with
loudspeaker reproduction. It is NOT a process of passing a signal or signals
to your ears from the speakers. You are operating on a wrong theory of
reproduction, on a very fundamental level. I have written a lot about this
subject, which I would be glad to share with you. You probably wouldn't
agree with any of it, but it is there for the asking.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:09:00 -0700, DC wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

snip

Even with the speakers occasionally
overloading the room, they sounded so much more like real, unamplified
music

playing in real space, that all else was soon forgotten.

There have been two such "experiences" in my listening career. I still
remember the buzz!

Dave

Yeah. In this case, we had to be careful to keep the SPL below the room
overload threshold (which could easily be heard) and the problem didn't
bother us. The transparency and sense of reality imparted by the speakers was
clearly there regardless of volume level.
Angus Stewart Pinkerton Angus Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rempstone, Leicestershire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnova View Post
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:09:00 -0700, DC wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

snip

Even with the speakers occasionally
overloading the room, they sounded so much more like real, unamplified
music

playing in real space, that all else was soon forgotten.

There have been two such "experiences" in my listening career. I still
remember the buzz!

Dave

Yeah. In this case, we had to be careful to keep the SPL below the room
overload threshold (which could easily be heard) and the problem didn't
bother us. The transparency and sense of reality imparted by the speakers was
clearly there regardless of volume level.
Indeed yes, I have always found it to be a sign of a truly great speaker that the soundfield does not collapse at low volume. This is rare in box speakers, but quite common in large panel speakers such as electrostats and the late lamented Apogee ribbons.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Robert Sink" wrote in message

There's also another bitter argument to be had with speakers: time &
phase accuracy.

No, that is not a problem at all. We are not doing "accuracy" with
loudspeaker reproduction. It is NOT a process of passing a signal or signals
to your ears from the speakers. You are operating on a wrong theory of
reproduction, on a very fundamental level. I have written a lot about this
subject, which I would be glad to share with you. You probably wouldn't
agree with any of it, but it is there for the asking.

What theory of sound reproduction do you ascribe to?

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] geickmei@tampabay.rr.com is offline

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Robert Sink" wrote in message

There's also another bitter argument to be had with speakers: time &
phase accuracy.

No, that is not a problem at all. We are not doing "accuracy" with
loudspeaker reproduction. It is NOT a process of passing a signal or
signals
to your ears from the speakers. You are operating on a wrong theory of
reproduction, on a very fundamental level. I have written a lot about
this
subject, which I would be glad to share with you. You probably wouldn't
agree with any of it, but it is there for the asking.

What theory of sound reproduction do you ascribe to?

I believe that we are reconstructing a model of the real thing in our
listening rooms.

The original performance has been recorded and the information reduced
to two channels of sound. That performance was a complex pattern of
direct and reflected and reverberant sound that had a certain size,
shape, dynamics, frequency balance, and of course no distortions such
as noise or harmonic distortions, which are well controlled with
todays electronics and media. But unless it is a binaural system of
recording and reproduction, the function of reproduction is NOT to
simply transfer those two channels of sound to your ears directly, but
to reconstruct that complex pattern of original sound as best we can,
in both size and shape. The spatial qualities of the original will be
replaced by the spatial qualities of the speakers in reproduction. If
we mistakenly take the huge, spacious pattern of original sounds and
change it to a small pattern of direct sound coming from just two
points in space in front of you, we have changed it to something that
sounds decidedly different, and not quite "right." No amount of
fiddling with frequency response, distortion controls, or tubes vs
transistors will help to make it sound right. It is not a process in
whch there is insufficient "accuracy" of the transmission channels.

To reduce the argument to its fundamentals, the most "accurate"
reproduction would be two direct speakers in an anechoic chamber. But
we know that if we do that, we would run screaming from the room. So
we do a number of things to reproduce the size and shape of the
original sound field a little better. We play our recordings in real
rooms, we use speakers that have omni, bipolar, dipolar, or
purpose-designed portions of direct and reflected sound patterns. We
generate or record surround sound to mimic the reverberant field of
the original. We use a larger room, making the model more of the size
of the real thing. And we let the frequency response taper off toward
the high frequencies as it does in the concert hall. All of these
things that we can do to increase "realism" might be considered by
someone who is operating under a wrong theory of reproduction to
decrease the "accuracy" of the process.

It is, therefore, not a process of sound channel to ear "accuracy" in
which time and phase accuracy of the recorded channels is important.

Gary Eickmeier