Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ricky Jimenez Ricky Jimenez is offline

Default Question About Allison 3 Speakers

I have a pair of Allison 3 speakers, mounted, near the ceiling on two
corners of my living room. I believe they were bought in 1982. As
far as I can tell, they still sound fine for FM radio and my extensive
classical CD collection. I also still use the Electronic Subwoofer
that came with the speakers. The black material that covers one of
the bass speakers, mounted at the top, has deteriorated and some
pieces have dropped down. A grill covers the entire speaker so it is
not visible except when you take the grill off. I am wondering if
that black material has any function and is a repair possible or
needed.

Among currently available speakers, is there anything that would
replace my Allison 3s? That is, be suitable for corner wall mounting
and sound similar? Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sep 16, 8:16*am, Ricky Jimenez wrote:

*The black material that covers one of
the bass speakers, mounted at the top, has deteriorated and some
pieces have dropped down. *A grill covers the entire speaker so it is
not visible except when you take the grill off. *I am wondering if
that black material has any function and is a repair possible or
needed.

Are you writing of the foam surround at the perimeter of the speaker
cone? If so, that is a common failure and (relatively) easily cured if
you are at all handy and at all patient. These surrounds are readily
available from various sources and with some searching, you may be
able to find them specific to *your* speakers.

Here are just two (of many) sources that includes both labor and
materials:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/allison...r-repairs.html

http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/repair.htm

Just materials:

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/2doity...FRJxxwodJAurJA

Among currently available speakers, is there anything that would
replace my Allison 3s? *That is, be suitable for corner wall mounting
and sound similar? *Thanks in advance.

Repair the Allisons. You will be happier for a bunch less money than
for a probably inferior speaker at a reasonable cost.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA