Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
Randy

Default Possible to recombine crossed over (split) component speaker wires?

I need to upgrade the crappy component speakers in my car. But the
crossovers lie within the front and rear amps. I really don't want to
have to replace the amps. The quotes I've seen thus far are about
$2000 to replace just the front speakers and amp, and a front/rear
solution $3000 or more. That's nuts.

Is it possible to connect the two wires for the tweeter and woofer in
order to regenerate the original unsplit signal? I suspect this may
do interesting things to impedance, but it seems like it ought to be
possible with some fiddling (and a lot cheaper than reamping).

BTW, it's a 2002 BMW 3 series coupe with the Harmon Kardon 12 speaker
abomination.

Thanks,

Randy