Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario
Default Vacuumlanders, one and all!

Hi, Vacuumlanders,
It's about time that I gave credit where credit is due for the mode
of address I use here and on other "tube groups". Allan McFee, a
great CBC broadcaster who passed away in 2000, invented the term.
Here's a write up on Allan that says it better than I can. It's at
http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/p...ies.php?id=130

Pioneer
McFee, Allan (1914-2000)
Allan McFee spent more than 52 irrepressibly disrespectful years with
the CBC. The CBC had its debut in 1936 and he joined the announce staff
in 1937. He officially retired in 1985 but continued to host his
long-term Eclectic Circus and to work as an announcer on The Royal
Canadian Air Farce and the satirical Max Ferguson Show. His final
Eclectic Circus broadcast was in September 1989.
He was a rebel who mocked and infuriated the establishment, including
his bosses. They also infuriated him. Max Ferguson recounted in a CBC
interview after Allan's death that Allan was known for hating an awful
lot of people at CBC, "but he hated the right people."
More than one book tells a story of Allan running a hose from his car's
exhaust into what he thought was the window of a fellow CBC announcer
whom he disliked. Later he found it was the wrong window. Max talked of
Allan throwing axes down hallways and embedding at least one in a wall,
and turning fire hoses on.
Max said one manager asked Allan why he acted the way he did. Allan
told the manager he wanted to see how much he could get away with.
In the 50s, he appeared opposite Max Ferguson's equally demented
character Rawhide. Allan's Eclectic Circus, whose music, musings and
mutterings suited the show's title, lasted for 17 years. It ran six
times a week until 1985, then weekly.
In the show he would converse with an imaginary mouse, which he called
the "small grey presence", and which he said lived in his pocket.
Allan was born in Belleville, Ont. Despite his never-ending public war
with the CBC, he spent his entire career with the corporation and said
in one of his final broadcasts, "It's a heavenly way to live."
Allan wrote a memoir, Elwood Glover's Luncheon Dates, published in
1973.
In 1969-70 he appeared on Bruno Gerussi's show Gerussi as a satirical
Captain Canada who indulged in crazy adventures and mocked the Canadian
establishment. In a takeoff of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, his
Captain Canada advised Western Canadians: "Think bilingual thoughts. Be
bicultural in your daily life. Speak in two languages out of both sides
of your mouth. Remember, Canada is more than just a country...it's a
branch plant."
His audiences, whom he addressed as "all those out there in vacuum
land," apparently loved him.
Allan McFee died in 2000.

-------------------
Back to me... I used to listen to his programme, very enjoyable.
So that's it. Vacuumland is that "virtual land" of vintage radio
restorers, radio listeners, "glass audio" enthusiasts and other
tube rollers. Thus, Vacuumlanders is a term of endearment and respect.
Happy Christmas, everyone! Hope you get that great Cathedral radio or
that NOS pair of KT88's under the tree!
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Engineer wrote:
[...]

Hi RATs!

My Crosley PH/BC/SW console sits where we used to put the Xmas tree

Now we have a little tree on the coffee table. Then we plant it
outside. It's a tree thing.

Merry Earmas!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

What a super post. What a necessary reminder of the niceties we
overlook too often on RAT.

Åndre Jute

Engineer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Andre Jute wrote:

What a super post.

What a load of OT froth !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

Eeyore wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

What a super post.

What a load of OT froth !

Graham

Merry Christmas, Graham.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] suea.pac@gmail.com is offline

I liked it, sounds like my kinda guy!
Roger in NY

Eeyore wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

What a super post.

What a load of OT froth !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

I liked it, sounds like my kinda guy!

Aside from having nothing to do with toobs it was fine !

Graham