Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Default How hot an EL84?

How hot is too hot for an EL84?

I've got a second Caliphone phono, this one is "newer" and uses an EL84
in the single-ended output. And man, does it run hot. A minute after
turn-on it smells like an Easy-Bake oven and is way way way too hot to
touch even after cooling off for a few minutes.

I'm mostly used to older larger octal output tubes, where even if the
plate is glowing dull red the glass is cooler than this EL84.

Will check for proper bias etc. tonight I guess. What would be a
nominal plate current, 40 or 50mA at 250V? That'd be 10 or 12 watts and
this smells way hotter!

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Paul Sherwin Paul Sherwin is offline

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:42:05 -0800, shoppa wrote:

How hot is too hot for an EL84?

I've got a second Caliphone phono, this one is "newer" and uses an EL84
in the single-ended output. And man, does it run hot. A minute after
turn-on it smells like an Easy-Bake oven and is way way way too hot to
touch even after cooling off for a few minutes.

I'm mostly used to older larger octal output tubes, where even if the
plate is glowing dull red the glass is cooler than this EL84.

Will check for proper bias etc. tonight I guess. What would be a
nominal plate current, 40 or 50mA at 250V? That'd be 10 or 12 watts and
this smells way hotter!

They do run hot, but it sounds as if you may have a fault condition. Check
the grid coupling capacitor. If you have +ve volts on the EL84 grid the
cap is probably bad and the tube is being overrun.

Paul
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Superhet Superhet is offline

In normal operation it would be way to hot to touch unless you have a
large letter S on your shirt. Make sure the coupling cap to the grid is
a new Mylar type, not an old paper cap. And by all means check the idle
plate current.

wrote:
How hot is too hot for an EL84?

I've got a second Caliphone phono, this one is "newer" and uses an EL84
in the single-ended output. And man, does it run hot. A minute after
turn-on it smells like an Easy-Bake oven and is way way way too hot to
touch even after cooling off for a few minutes.

I'm mostly used to older larger octal output tubes, where even if the
plate is glowing dull red the glass is cooler than this EL84.

Will check for proper bias etc. tonight I guess. What would be a
nominal plate current, 40 or 50mA at 250V? That'd be 10 or 12 watts and
this smells way hotter!

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Superhet wrote:
In normal operation it would be way to hot to touch unless you have a
large letter S on your shirt. Make sure the coupling cap to the grid is
a new Mylar type, not an old paper cap.

In fact the cap is a ceramic :-). This is not exactly hi-fi as we would
define it today...

And by all means check the idle
plate current.

It's dropping 10V across the 150ohm cathode resistor, for 66mA. No
leakage in the grid cap. Schematic says there is supposed to be 8V
across the cathode resistor.

320V on the plate*66mA = 21W, probably not the most reliable operating
point. Even if it was 8V on the cathode resistor it would be nearly 20W
dissipation in that tube.

I didn't know that I was buying an Easy-Bake oven at the same time I
bought this. You really could bake muffins next to that EL84!

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Superhet wrote:
320v on the plate is on the high side. Tube manual calls for 300v max
and typ op at 250v with 48 ma zero signal plate current. I would
increase the cathode resistor to lower the plate current. That said the
max ratings are 300v plate and 65 ma cathode current so if you want to
run this at max you are there.

The schematic calls for 320V on the plate. In real life I'm getting
closer to 340V at idle. Probably something to do with 120VAC in instead
of a design target of 110VAC.

In any event, I just tweaked the screen grid dropping resistors (they
had drifted down from 6.8K to closer to 4K, unusual for carbon comps)
to about 8K and now I am getting closer to 40mA plate current, a number
that I'm much happier with. Washing off some of the dust probably
helped get rid of the Easy-Bake oven smell too :-).

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.antiques.radio+phono
robert casey robert casey is offline

How hot is too hot for an EL84?

I've got a second Caliphone phono, this one is "newer" and uses an EL84
in the single-ended output. And man, does it run hot. A minute after
turn-on it smells like an Easy-Bake oven and is way way way too hot to
touch even after cooling off for a few minutes.

The tube itself or the cabinet of it?

mono el84 amp kit NGS Vacuum Tubes 5 May 22nd 05 01:40 PM
el84 running too hot. maxdm Vacuum Tubes 6 November 19th 04 03:07 PM
EL84 questions? Bryan McGivney Vacuum Tubes 3 August 17th 03 01:40 PM
EL84 6BQ5 unused pin question rp Tech 1 July 25th 03 03:59 PM
EL84 6BQ5 unused pin question rp Vacuum Tubes 1 July 25th 03 05:23 AM