Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis Lewis is offline

Default Axial electrolytic capacitor polarization?

Hi,
This is probably one of those things that everybody in the world but me
knows, but I've got a couple of miniature axial caps, apparently made by
BC Components before Vishay bought them. They look like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/BC%2...12.7L,7.7D.jpg
and the Digikey catalog page is he
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T063/1168.pdf
So which end is positive? Stripe or no stripe?

I'm pretty sure they are polarized, and the stripe shows which end is
which, but I sure can't find anything that tells me what the stripe means!
Anybody know?
Thanks,
Lewis
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Lewis"

This is probably one of those things that everybody in the world but me
knows, but I've got a couple of miniature axial caps, apparently made by
BC Components before Vishay bought them. They look like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/BC%2...12.7L,7.7D.jpg
and the Digikey catalog page is he
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T063/1168.pdf
So which end is positive? Stripe or no stripe?

I'm pretty sure they are polarized, and the stripe shows which end is
which, but I sure can't find anything that tells me what the stripe means!
Anybody know?

** My money would be on that black ring meaning negative.

The marking strip on axial and radial eelctro caps is always used to
indicate negative.

Why not just test one with a DC supply of say 3 or 4 volts ?

The way around that draws more current is the wrong one.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Joseph Meditz Joseph Meditz is offline

Lewis wrote:
Hi,
This is probably one of those things that everybody in the world but me
knows, but I've got a couple of miniature axial caps, apparently made by
BC Components before Vishay bought them. They look like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/BC%2...12.7L,7.7D.jpg
and the Digikey catalog page is he
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T063/1168.pdf
So which end is positive? Stripe or no stripe?

I'm pretty sure they are polarized, and the stripe shows which end is
which, but I sure can't find anything that tells me what the stripe means!
Anybody know?
Thanks,
Lewis

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28332/138aml.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Lewis wrote:

Hi,
This is probably one of those things that everybody in the world but me
knows, but I've got a couple of miniature axial caps, apparently made by
BC Components before Vishay bought them. They look like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/BC%2...12.7L,7.7D.jpg

I've never ever seen anything like that !!!!

How did you get them and why didn't you just find the data sheet ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis Lewis is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Lewis wrote:

Hi,
This is probably one of those things that everybody in the world but me
knows, but I've got a couple of miniature axial caps, apparently made by
BC Components before Vishay bought them. They look like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/BC%2...12.7L,7.7D.jpg

I've never ever seen anything like that !!!!

How did you get them and why didn't you just find the data sheet ?

Graham

Graham,
I got them from Digi-Key about 5 or 6 years ago (or maybe more). Until
the post just above yours, I couldn't find a helpful data sheet. And
even that one doesn't exactly shout out what the band means.
Lewis

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lewis Lewis is offline

Joseph Meditz wrote:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28332/138aml.pdf

Thanks! There it is!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

Lewis wrote:
Joseph Meditz wrote:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28332/138aml.pdf

Thanks! There it is!

In order to add confusion to the universe, tantalum caps are marked with
a band on the positive end.... :-)