Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave

Default Is it Harmful to a CD Player to Run for 8-10 Hours at a Time Every Night?

Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

Thanks for any help.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Dave" wrote ...
Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

Does the player get warm? How warm is the disc itself after
playing that long? If I were worried about it, I would add one
of those small fans to the back of the CD player, the kind like
they use on computer cases.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote ...
Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

Does the player get warm? How warm is the disc itself after
playing that long? If I were worried about it, I would add one
of those small fans to the back of the CD player, the kind like
they use on computer cases.

Yes, it will wear out quicker. The spindle motor bearings get run out. The
laser gets hours put on it. It's a Philips mechanism, which doesn't help.
Use it and enjoy it, but realize it wasn't built to last forever. (none are)

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:35:53 -0500, Dave wrote:

Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

The moving parts of the player have a certain number of hours of use
in them. But what the hell? When it gives up, replace it. The
cheapest model will do fine for this application
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann

In , on 03/26/06
at 11:35 AM, Dave said:

Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

Thanks for any help.

I've used inexpensive CD players for music on hold. They play 8-10
hours per weekday for at least 5 years.

I doubt if the CD-R will "wear", but there could be some deterioration
after a few decades.

As another suggested, you could use a disgustingly cheap player in this
application.

You might also want to look into a flash player with a line out. The
only requirement being a repeat function that does not time out before
you wake.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:42:51 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

[...]

Mark,

How do you know it's a Phillips mechanism? Is that what all the CS
Model 88CDs used? (They're no longer in production.)

If the CD player quits, can the mechanism be replaced with any other
OTS CD mechanism? (ie: does it require a proprietary top?)

Thanks again.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote:

[...]

I own an 88CD, and looked inside the CD well when I got it. It's a CDM12.1
Philips mech (also known as a VAM 1201).

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, to answer the second question - it would have to be replaced with the
same type, assuming Philips is still making this part available to
distributors when the time comes that you need one. Philips is about the
worst sort of company.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Cyrus

In article ,
Dave wrote:

Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

Thanks for any help.

Anything mechanical will wear.

For this purpose, get the cheapest thing you can find. You're asleep.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Cyrus" wrote in message
Anything mechanical will wear.

Surely a cheap MP3 memory stick player, plugged into a cheap amp and
speaker, would be preferable for this application.

You're asleep.

Presumably he has trouble sleeping or he would not need the device at all.
A friend of mine uses a cheap white noise generator, I imagine this is for a
similar purpose.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dave" wrote in message
Is it okay to run a single CD player continuously, for 8-10 hours at a
time (playing the same CD)?

I have a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88CD that I run at night, while
sleeping. I'll put a CD in it and set it to repeat the CD over and
over, throughout the night. (It's a CD-R copy that I made of a
thunderstorm CD, for sound effects while sleeping.)

Will it burn out the CD player quickly? Are they made for that kind of
continued used? (I made a CD-R copy of the CD, so if it wears out, I
can just make another.)

I don't imagine it's any more damaging than any other 8-10 hours of playing
time, but this is not the optimum way of getting the desired results. What
you want is a cheap flash memory player that can be powered with a wall wart
and has a repeat setting. No moving parts; low power consumption.

If you happen to be one of those that leaves your computer on 24/7, there's
another option. You can copy the disc to your hard drive and let it play
all night. Since it was going to run anyhow, there's no additional wear and
tear.

Norm Strong

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Player that can play back 16 sound tracks at the same time ? john Pro Audio 3 September 16th 04 02:44 AM
FA audiophile CD's ending 5 hours sunday night diaz Marketplace 0 April 26th 04 12:59 AM
FA audiophile CD's ending 5 hours sunday night diaz Marketplace 0 April 26th 04 12:59 AM
Looking for a portable CD player with a real resume feature Bice General 0 July 27th 03 04:19 PM