Bag O'Doughnuts

Default (cheap) passive volume control?

Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with stereo
XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

Tim Perry

"Bag O'Doughnuts" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with

stereo
XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

a small mixer would work.

Arny Krueger

Bag O'Doughnuts wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with
stereo XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

NHT Pro PVC.

Paul Stamler

"Bag O'Doughnuts" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with

stereo
XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

It's a hard thing to find, assuming from the mention of XLR connectors that
you want the thing to have balanced ins and outs. That implies four volume
control sections, presumably ganged, and that's almost impossible to do with
ganged pots and still maintain tracking, which is necessary to maintain
proper balanced signals. You almost have to do it with switched controls,
and that gets expensive unless you do it yourself, in which case it's only
medium-expensive.

Peace,
Paul

Eric K. Weber

http://www.pennyandgiles.com/docGallery/83.PDF

Complies with your request execpt for neither cheap or prepackaged.....

Rgds:
Eric

Bag O'Doughnuts

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Bag O'Doughnuts wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with
stereo XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

NHT Pro PVC.

That's the only one I've seen, but couldn't find a (USA) source. It looks
like it's ~$100 list, which is pricey for my application. Do you have a
source?

Arny Krueger

Bag O'Doughnuts wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with
stereo XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet
sources.

NHT Pro PVC.

That's the only one I've seen, but couldn't find a (USA) source. It
looks like it's ~$100 list, which is pricey for my application. Do
you have a source?

NHT and their subsidiary NHT Pro has changed hands lately, so it appears
that their distribution situation is a little disrupted.

Looking at the http://www.adesignsaudio.com/ ATTY, their specs seem to be a
little on the thin side. I suspect that the active ingredients are 10K pots,
but it's not a sure thing. It is probabaly safe to presume that it is
competently designed.

There's even a controversy over the best way to make these things. A single
stereo pot can be used to make a balanced version of one of these, if some
attenuation is acceptable when the volume is set for max.

hollywood_steve

NHT Pro PVC.

That's the only one I've seen, but couldn't find a (USA) source. It looks
like it's ~$100 list, which is pricey for my application. Do you have a
source?

http://www.nhtpro.com/2004/products/...=1&ProductID=6

I got mine for right around $100 and they are available at just about
any pro audio dealer, both local and online. When you add up all the
parts required to roll your own, (expensive multi deck pot, 4 XLR
connectors, chassis, etc.) you'll have a hard time building your own
for less than $50 or so, and that doesn't include anything for the
hours of your time spent on the project. I did the math and came out
way ahead by just paying the $100 and plugging in my new volume
control.

steve

Pooh Bear

Bag O'Doughnuts wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with stereo
XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

XLRs aren't cheap.

You should understand that it stands for eXtremely Large Resources.

Radio Shack can prolly do you a cheap RCA jack level control.

Graham

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Bag O'Doughnuts wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a relatively inexpensive volume control with stereo
XLR in/out? I haven't been able to find any internet sources.

Coleman Audio makes one.

Or you could drill some holes in a rack panel, and install a pot and a couple
connectors.