Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default It Does Not Have to be Expensive....

I was asked to bring a "system" into the office for seasonal music. Casting about the Radio Room, I came up with:

AR tuner
AR integrated amplifier
Dynaco A35 speakers
Sony 200-disc CD changer
Ramsey FM100B FM-stereo transmitter

This has been playing now since Monday at 7:00 am.

Funny thing about the AR tuner: this is a modern steel-and-glass building with corrugated decking between floors. The unit is in the core of the building, perhaps 40' from the nearest window, and the building core is between it and the local antenna farm. I am using a simple $2 dipole antenna. It is receiving flawlessly, where no other radios but for my Zenith RD7000Y are getting anything at all.

I am rebroadcasting on a local open frequency (91.9), and now all those deaf radios are playing.

The sound is rather good as well. I am surprised at how well the Dynaco speakers are doing in a large open space. It is also interesting to note that there are only three people in the office older than the AR equipment.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] foo@bar.com is offline

On 21 Dec 2017 20:38:15 GMT, Peter Wieck wrote:

I was asked to bring a "system" into the office for seasonal music. Casting about the Radio Room, I came up with:

AR tuner
AR integrated amplifier
Dynaco A35 speakers
Sony 200-disc CD changer
Ramsey FM100B FM-stereo transmitter

My second set of speakers was the A35 and I loved them (my first set
was the A25...) and I just gave them to my step daughter who loves
them. They are wonderful speakers for their time and price.
My email is JohnMee3 AT comcast.net, not whatever is in the header
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] hifitommy@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 12:38:17 PM UTC-8, Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

the a35s were about the best sounding speaker in the line, i just wish i had bought a pair. i had 2 pair of a25s run stacked horizontally in parallel electrically. nice impact. coupled with 100wpc spectro acoustics p202, and a philips 1" dome tweeter Xed over at 10kHz, they produced some very nice sound when EQed down in the lows a bit to sound natural.

no gyrations like that needed for the a35.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Am I right in thinking that the A35s are a similar speaker to my Goodmans
Mezzo SLs? They use a compliant 10" woofer with rubber surround paired with
a SEAS 1.5" silk dome tweeter with alnico magnet. (The legendary H-087 - a
tweeter that sounds so good that SEAS make an updated version for around a
grand a pair
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...6&I temid=498 )
..
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 9:21:51 AM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the A35s are a similar speaker to my Goodmans
Mezzo SLs? They use a compliant 10" woofer with rubber surround paired with
a SEAS 1.5" silk dome tweeter with alnico magnet. (The legendary H-087 - a
tweeter that sounds so good that SEAS make an updated version for around a
grand a pair
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...6&I temid=498 )

That would be reasonably close, I suspect. The A25 & A35 used the same drivers, and the A50 used two woofers.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] foo@bar.com is offline

the a35s were about the best sounding speaker in the line, i just wish i had bought a pair. i had 2 pair of a25s run stacked horizontally in parallel electrically. nice impact. coupled with 100wpc spectro acoustics p202, and a philips 1" dome tweeter Xed over at 10kHz, they produced some very nice sound when EQed down in the lows a bit to sound natural.

no gyrations like that needed for the a35.

The first speakers I owned were A25s and about a year later I upgraded
to A35s and they were marvelous, I continued to enjoy them until about
5-7 years ago. Now my stepdaughter is enjoying them. One of the really
great deals in the hi-fi world....
My email is JohnMee3 AT comcast.net, not whatever is in the header
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

)

That would be reasonably close, I suspect. The A25 & A35 used the
same drivers, and the A50 used two woofers.

Thanks. I thought that the A25 used an 8" woofer and the A35 a 10" woofer?
I'm not sure, I don't think many Dynaco speakers made it as far as New
Zealand so I haven't seen a lot 'in the flesh'.

My Goodmans Mezzo SL use one of Goodmans own design 10" woofers paired with
the SEAS H-087 tweeter. (They came to NZ after spending the first 40 years
of their life in Israel - I am their second owner.)

Cheers,