malja316 malja316 is offline
Junior Member

Question MP3 TO WAV: Does the Sound Quality Suffer?

Hello all! I was wondering if converting from MP3 to a Wav file hurts the overall audio quality. I am downloading music off the net and unfortunately they are mp3 files. I was hoping that if I converted to wav that it would actually help the sound quality?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks for Reading!
Todd H.

malja316 writes:

Hello all! I was wondering if converting from MP3 to a Wav file hurts
the overall audio quality. I am downloading music off the net and
unfortunately they are mp3 files. I was hoping that if I converted to
wav that it would actually help the sound quality?

In converting from WAV to MP3, there is loss. The converse is not the
case-- i.e. there is nothing gained in converting from mp3 to WAV.
There is nothing further lost either (except free disk space).

FYI-you post appeared multiple times--often it takes several minutes
for your news server to display posts you make.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." wrote in message
malja316 writes:

Hello all! I was wondering if converting from MP3 to a Wav file hurts
the overall audio quality. I am downloading music off the net and
unfortunately they are mp3 files. I was hoping that if I converted to
wav that it would actually help the sound quality?

In converting from WAV to MP3, there is loss. The converse is not the
case-- i.e. there is nothing gained in converting from mp3 to WAV.
There is nothing further lost either (except free disk space).

In fact, that's how I evaluate codecs. I turn the compressed file into a
wave file and burn it to CDR. The beauty of it is that nobody can tell
which track is the compressed one and which one is CDDA. At least not
without instruments.

Norm Strong