Epetruk

Default Microphone problems

Hello,

I'm trying to use a hi-fi microphone to do some digital recording.
Basically, I want sound to go from the microphone to a hi-fi *and* into the
sound card of a computer. What I have done is to buy a splitter to split the
sound signal so that it can be directed to both the sound card and the
hi-fi. I have also got an adaptor to plug one of the ends of the splitter
into so that it will go into the 'microphone-in' socket of sound card.
Here's a picture of the microphone, the splitter (circled in red) and the
adaptor (in yellow):

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg0031a5vw.jpg

Unfortunately, when I plug the adaptor into the sound card socket, there's
no input, i.e. a recording program (like Sound Recorder) can't pick up any
signal.

Also, I find that after plugging the mic into the splitter and plugging one
plug of the splitter into the hi-fi and *before* plugging the other plug of
the splitter into the adaptor, I can hear myself clearly from the speakers
of the hi-fi. but afte plugging the splitter, I can barely hear myself -
it's almost as though the adaptor is some sort of 'sucker of sound'.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong here.

Thanks,

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

There are two weak points in your approach-the mic in of the sound card is
stereo, so you need a stereo to win mono adapter.The second is, the mic
cannot supply two circuits in parallel-it's just too weak.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
[...]

David Ballinger

"Epetruk" wrote in message
[...]

Dave here, the mic input on a sound card is usually mono but it is 3
conductor to supply DC for the fet in a computer condenser mic, that could
be causing you some grief, plus plugging a tip sleeve plug into a tip ring
sleeve jack can also cause problems shorting out the ring conductor of the
sound card. Just a suggestion here run the mic thru the stereo, does it
have a line out or a recorder out jack if it does run that to the line in
jack on the sound card, use the stereo for a pre-amp line levels are best
not the speaker out.
Then the next run of questions is how to get the HUM out, but that is
another chapter.

Regards,

Steve House

Most stereos have a "tape out" or "line out" that is intended to feed
the signal being input to a tape recorder. Why not run the mic
directly to the hi-fi and the tape-out in the stereo to the line in on
your soundcard?