Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.marketplace

Default FS: 1970 Acoustic Research AR-2x Speakers Restored ! Pickup in NC

FS: 1970 Acoustic Research AR-2x Speakers Upgraded/Restored !

A very nice matched pair of vintage Acoustic Research AR-2X
loudspeakers, fully restored and ready to enjoy! These were mfg from
1970-71, and you can learn more about the history of these classic AR
speakers at the following website:

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/ar/ar.htm

All original drivers... each speaker has a 10" woofer with treated
cloth surround and a 2.5" cone tweeter. 8ohm impedance, and recommended
power input 20 - 50 watts/ch RMS. I think they'll take a little
more based on some AR literature.

Very carefully and gently removed all the small staples so that the
grilles can now be detached (was like doing surgery). Original AR logos
intact.

Woofers were carefully removed and all the black sealing caulk
thoroughly cleaned off of the back of woofer frames and cabinet baffle
opening. I made custom fit foam gaskets to fit behind woofers. I cut
crossover lead wires that were soldered to woofers at a flexible
midpoint and then reconnected wires with some twist caps.. this makes
it easy to disconnect and remove woofers from cabinets if needed.
Masonite rings attached to cloth surrounds, are securely attached to
metal frames to ensure a "sealed" enclosure.

HF tweeter controls (pots) have been disassembled, corrosion cleaned,
and reassembled and work great. I by-passed the original crossover
capacitor with a new 6 uf/100V electrolytic capacitor to ensure
crossover operating at original spec.. I left the original caps in
place to preserve "integrity" of speakers.

Removed all the 36 yr old fiberglass insulation, vacuumed out cabinets
and installed soft white "acoustistuff" dampening material.

Real walnut veneer cabinets measure 24"H x 13.5"W x 11.5"D and weigh 33
lbs each. Cabinets have good corners and edges and only a few light
surface scratches and nicks. Cleaned cabinets and polished with lemon
oil. Reglued edges of original AR-2x paper labels on back of cabinets.
Very solid and presentable! Pictures can be seen at following link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/unc80/album?.dir=b7e4

Located in Chapel Hill near I40. Serious buyers please email for time
to see/hear. Thanks...