Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

Default Fiberglass speaker construction

I have a lot of speakers to install in my car. Unfortunately the engine's
not that strong and building MDF speaker cabinets for all of them would
probably weigh at least 300 pounds or more. I'm going for 10 6x9's, 2 10''
subs and 2 15'' subs. I need to find a suitable material for box
construction besides MDF, and fiberglass appealed to me. I bought 200 lbs
of fiberglass mat, and that should be more than enough.

My question is how well will fiberglass cabinets sound? I'm planning on
making a minimal frame out of wood, as well as the mounting hole from MDF,
covering all of this with canvas, applying hardener, and then applying the
fiberglass mat and finishing with a light coat of bondo. Is there something
light that I can fill the frame with that will help out with dampening or
expect better response? Also, how would I go about figuring out what box
volume to shoot for?

thanks a million

http://www.usenet.com