Posted to rec.audio.pro
Self

Default Mixing Board Question

I currently have an MX-9000 24/48 channel mixing board. While I like its
cost to performance ratio I am getting very tired of its lack of automation.
Everytime I do a new song I don't mind dialing in the new mix. However,
going back and re-mixing or adding a track to an existing song is a lot of
work. Including some guess work.

So, in your opinion, what would be a board that is at the MX-9000 level or
above (in terms of sound quality and functionality) that would have a good
amount of automation to assist us in this tedious process?

I am looking to spend less than $10,000US. I wish I could do it for about
$5,000 or so as I am going to be purchasing a high end vocal mic and would
like to have some funds to do that well.

We are producing some very high quality audio recordings in our studio with
the current board. Despite what folks might think about an MX-9000, if one
goes about recording knowing its limitations, and with the proper outboard
gear, the results are surprisingly good.

I am willing to look at used gear, but it would have to be near mint shape.

-s

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Self" wrote in message
I currently have an MX-9000 24/48 channel mixing board. While I like its
cost to performance ratio I am getting very tired of its lack of

automation.
Everytime I do a new song I don't mind dialing in the new mix. However,
going back and re-mixing or adding a track to an existing song is a lot of
work. Including some guess work.

So, in your opinion, what would be a board that is at the MX-9000 level or
above (in terms of sound quality and functionality) that would have a good
amount of automation to assist us in this tedious process?

Are you aiming at fader/mute automation or total recall? If it's the latter,
only digital mixers are within your budget and they are a different ballgame
altogether, both sonically and ergonomically.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Self" wrote in message

I currently have an MX-9000 24/48 channel mixing board. While I like its
cost to performance ratio I am getting
very tired of its lack of automation. Everytime I do a
new song I don't mind dialing in the new mix. However,
going back and re-mixing or adding a track to an existing
song is a lot of work. Including some guess work.

One word: DAW.

That's an acronym. Not a word ! 3 words really. ;-)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Self wrote:

I currently have an MX-9000 24/48 channel mixing board. While I like its
cost to performance ratio I am getting very tired of its lack of automation.
Everytime I do a new song I don't mind dialing in the new mix. However,
going back and re-mixing or adding a track to an existing song is a lot of
work. Including some guess work.

So, in your opinion, what would be a board that is at the MX-9000 level or
above (in terms of sound quality and functionality) that would have a good
amount of automation to assist us in this tedious process?

I am looking to spend less than $10,000US. I wish I could do it for about
$5,000 or so as I am going to be purchasing a high end vocal mic and would
like to have some funds to do that well.

Take a look at the Yamaha line, starting with the DM1000.

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rafael Vanoni

There's that new Tascam DM3200 that looks interesting.
Never used one tho.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Rafael Vanoni wrote:
There's that new Tascam DM3200 that looks interesting.
Never used one tho.

Well, you'd best put your eyes and hands on one before you decide to
buy it. Digital consoles can have some pretty quirky user interfaces.
If you want to try out something that won't cost you a lot, look for a
used Mackie d8b. It's one of the most sensibly laid out and easiest
working digital consoles. Even I can understand it and I'm not a big
fan of digital consoles. But if this idea sounds even slightly
attractive to you, learn something about the console. They all work
about the same, but there are several different I/O cards available for
them and you need to find either one that's equipped the way you need
it to match your other equipment or be prepared to do some hunting and
horse trading.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eric

Self wrote:

I have just tested a Soundcraft Ghost....a very nice board.

Yes, some Ghosts have fader automation, but fader automation is not even
20% percent of the problem you presented in your original post. Your
EQ's will not be recallable, neither will your aux sends, outboard gear,
input gains, pans, etc. To accomplish what you proposed in your original
post will require either a digital console or a DAW. Given your budget,
I suggest a DAW.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Eric" wrote in message
Self wrote:

I have just tested a Soundcraft Ghost....a very nice board.

Yes, some Ghosts have fader automation, but fader automation is not even
20% percent of the problem you presented in your original post. Your
EQ's will not be recallable, neither will your aux sends, outboard gear,
input gains, pans, etc. To accomplish what you proposed in your original
post will require either a digital console or a DAW. Given your budget,
I suggest a DAW.

As far as I remember, there were semi-official rumours of a version of
Optifile fader automation being developed for the Soundcraft Ghost, but
nothing really happened.

As it stands, the automation package in the more expensive version of Ghost
is limited to mutes only.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

"Self" wrote:

I must correct your response. The Ghost I tried did have fader and
mute automation.

Huh? The Ghost is available with mute automation, but not fader
automation. There's a critical detail missing here somewhere.

I do not appreciate the vulgarities.

Tough ****. g

If your ego would allow I would appreciate any information you took
the time to find out yesterday.

An insult now? Hey, THAT makes me want to help... yeesh.

For the benefit of anyone else who cares, I spent half-an-hour on the
phone with a friend who recently looked into little mixers with total
reset. Obviously that meant a digital board. I don't remember all the
details of the conversation anymore, but the relevant point was that the
DM1000 seemed to offer the most bang for the buck, at least at the level
he was researching. His application is front and back end for Pro
Tools, a control surface for Pro Tools, and a surround mixing and
monitoring device.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eric

Self wrote:

I must correct your response. The Ghost I tried did have fader and mute
automation. Not eq, and that is a BIG deal. The price was less that $5K
because the board was slightly used.

Ghost's were never shipped with fader automation. They had 2 versions of
the console. The standard config had MIDI machine control with mute
automation via an external synchronizer. Then there was the "LE" version
with no mute automation or MIDI machine control.

I think there were one or more outfits that offered after market moving
fader automation to be retrofit to that console. However, for "less than
$5k, slightly used", I doubt it had after market moving faders.

You need a digital mixer, or a DAW. Really.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Eric" wrote in message...

You need a digital mixer, or a DAW. Really.

Or two other options... 1). A simple settings chart, provided in the
rear of the owners manual. 2). Finish the project before you mix
and finish the mix before you move on.

DM

;-)