Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Some words of caution before buying from OWC (Other World Computing) - long post

A word of caution if you are considering purchasing at OWC. This is
hardly the worst case of ineptitude or bad customer service, but it's
bad enough to warrant a warning post.

I have a 466MHz Digital Audio G4 (running dual boot 9.2.2/OS10.3.7, in
case it matters), and successfully replaced the original processor with
an OWC 1.5GHz upgrade processor.

But it's been a loooong journey to get there.

I purchased the first processor in Nov 2004 (14 months ago or so). It
messed up a lot. The computer locked up, crashed, did all sorts of
weird things. I called tech support. They said to lower the jumper
settings. I did. It ran nominally better, but I still had major
problems. I lowered the jumper settings again. It ran much better,
albeit with glitches, but slowly but surely, more things started
happening. iTunes didn't work well, and the computer began to freeze.

The computer one day stopped booting up. I called an Apple-authorized
tech to come out. Not sure of what the problem was, he reinstalled
everything. It worked reasonably well again.

Then in December 2005, the computer did not boot up again. Nothing.
Couldn't boot up from the CD. I tried everything. I then replaced the
OWC Mercury Extreme CPU with the original 466MHz processor. The
computer worked PERFECTLY FINE, and all problems with iTunes and other
odd little things immediately evaporated.

I asked for a replacement. They sent me a second OWC Mercury Extreme
CPU, acknowledging (after I asked) that the first processor had indeed
been defective. I noted on their web site that it now stated that the
CPU came configured, and that no adjustment of jumper settings was
necessary. I called to verify this. I then installed this second CPU.
The computer did not boot up. At all. Nothing.

I sent the second one back and got a third one. Same thing upon
installation. Nothing. OWC refused to give me a refund or another
manufacturer's CPU even though they sell Sonnet and others, stating
that I had exceeded the 30-day refund period, and that all they could
do is continue to send me that exact model processor.

Great.

One of their technology gurus called me after I had wasted quite a lot
of time on the phone (on hold) with them. He suggested that I lower
the jumper settings.

I figured I'd try this out.

But when I took a look at their existing jumper settings and compared
it to their accompanying Jumper Setting Chart, I realized that they
thing had come shipped with a "jumper setting" that did not exist on
their chart.

I switched it to one of their specified jumper settings and the
computer booted instantly. I changed jumper settings to the fastest
setting. Same thing, the computer booted instantly.

These OWC Mercury Extreme processors allegedly come pre-tested. On the
third processor, they had assured me repeatedly that this one had been
tested.

So if it's pre-tested *AND* OWC claims that you don't need to adjust
their jumper settings, why was this adjusted to a non-existent setting
that wouldn't work? Was the second processor adjusted to a
non-existent setting as well?

I have no idea.

But at any rate, I wrote three of the gentlemen a polite email, asking
these questions, three days ago.

No apology, no answer, no response.

The good news is that my computer is working really well so far. Pro
Tools is running smoothly, and everything else seems to be operating
well.

But I've not been impressed with how OWC Customer Support has handled
this. And I'm not impressed with their inconsistency. I rarely
complain about companies, but I'd have second thoughts about ever
dealing with them again, especially with their processors.

~~~~~~

The current Jan 2006 issue of TapeOp has a review on the OWC Mercury
Extreme Processor. I think it was the 1.5GHz one. The person
mentioned that the processor they received had the seal busted open,
and that the fan had been removed, which resulted in a bent post, and
concluded that OWC had sold her a used or returned processsor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T

I've had glitches from about 50% of what I have bought from them but it
usually only took one call to get it right. The think i DO LIKE about
them is that they always stay with you to help fix things.

keep in mind that they are not in front of your computer to little
things get missed, like your settings.

They have always done me right. I think you just had a bad luck case -
and still it did work out-

Better luck next time

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Iain Fraser

im with you danny - always had good service from them - sorry you had such
issues though

"Danny T" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had glitches from about 50% of what I have bought from them but it
usually only took one call to get it right. The think i DO LIKE about
them is that they always stay with you to help fix things.

keep in mind that they are not in front of your computer to little
things get missed, like your settings.

They have always done me right. I think you just had a bad luck case -
and still it did work out-

Better luck next time

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

These OWC Mercury Extreme processors allegedly come pre-tested. On
the
third processor, they had assured me repeatedly that this one had been
tested.
So if it's pre-tested *AND* OWC claims that you don't need to adjust
their jumper settings, why was this adjusted to a non-existent setting
that wouldn't work? Was the second processor adjusted to a
non-existent setting as well?

I would consider the possibility that the processor works quite well
with the settings as they sent it on the computer they tested it on,
which most likely is not the same model you have. Remember there are
many variations of G4 available & they probably don't have your 466mHz
model. Third party processor upgrades have always been a slightly
chancy proposition anyway. Just a thought before you get too cranked up
about them.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
reddred

wrote in message
oups.com...
A word of caution if you are considering purchasing at OWC. This is
hardly the worst case of ineptitude or bad customer service, but it's
bad enough to warrant a warning post.

snip

Most likely the jumpers were on a factory test setting, not a setting a user
will want.

It's up there on the list of 'IT rules' that 90 percent of time jumpers will
not be set correctly out of the box. You always have to RTFM and set them
yourself. This is probably why so few items use jumpers nowadays - support
cost is too high.

jb