Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phillip

Default monitoring headphones question

Hello,
I'm going to be doing more recording sessions this summer and I was
wondering what would be a good pair of headphones to buy for my vocalists
and myself to monitor with? I currently own AKG 240s, but the music bleeds
through them and the microphone picks it up. I'd like to try and avoid that
this time. I am also on a budget, so I'd like to keep my cost low. Thanks.

~ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch

Well, if you can find some used cans that normally run around a hundred
bucks for half that, you'd be in good company. Which brand is very
subjective, that's why I'm suggesting an alternative route to get most
bang for the buck.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Phillip wrote:
I'm going to be doing more recording sessions this summer and I was
wondering what would be a good pair of headphones to buy for my vocalists
and myself to monitor with? I currently own AKG 240s, but the music bleeds
through them and the microphone picks it up. I'd like to try and avoid that
this time. I am also on a budget, so I'd like to keep my cost low. Thanks.

Try the Sony MDR-V6. They seal pretty well, and the top end is very
pitched-up and exaggerated which makes it possible to keep the levels
down more than you would be able to with a more accurate headphone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
soundwhiz

SONY MDR 7506,best bang for the buck
anytime anywhere for any kind of work
best
harry

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf

soundwhiz wrote:
SONY MDR 7506,best bang for the buck
anytime anywhere for any kind of work
best
harry

Agreed 100%. These are industry standard open backed (there is a close
back version for less bleed, but at a cost (sonic and cash)). The 7506
can be found in many (if not most) professional studios and if mine
ever fall apart (unlikely), I would not hesitate a second to buy a new
set. A great set of cans.

Cheers, CS

Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson

SONY MDR 7506,best bang for the buck
anytime anywhere for any kind of work

God I hate these things. I know I'm in the minority, but they just
sound BAD to me...

I agree with Scott Dorsey... the Sony MDR-V6's sound great for tracking
work. Not flat, but hyped in a way that makes them easy to work with.

Corey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

soundwhiz wrote:

SONY MDR 7506,best bang for the buck
anytime anywhere for any kind of work
best
harry

Unless that work involves making any kind of even remotely critical
decision based on what you're hearing. Just don't use them for making
EQ or level balancing decisions. Otherwise they're fine.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

Cyberserf wrote:

Agreed 100%. These are industry standard open backed (there is a
close back version for less bleed, but at a cost (sonic and cash)).

You must be thinking of something else. The 7506 is closed.

The 7506 can be found in many (if not most) professional studios

I think that's largely due to the fact that there isn't really a decent
alternative.

The 7506 are very convenient. They fold into all kinds of weird shapes
and stow easily. They're comparatively reliable and robust. They
provide good isolation. They get really loud and will work well with
feeble sources. The bottom end doesn't go to pieces very easily.
They're not horribly uncomfortable. They're reasonably priced.

Given all those positive attributes, it's easy enough to overlook the
fact that they just don't sound that great. The problem is that cans
that *DO* sound good lack many of those other characteristics. As a
result, you find them everywhere.

They're great for lots of things. Critical frequency and/or level
balance are not among those things though.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

After replacing headphones over and over (from clients dropping,
stepping, and pulling on them) I now by the cheap Sennheissers. They
cost about $50 and have closed backs. My full time session players
bring their own.

my 2 cents,

Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
flatfish+++

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:12:57 +0000, Lorin David Schultz wrote:

soundwhiz wrote:

SONY MDR 7506,best bang for the buck
anytime anywhere for any kind of work
best
harry

Unless that work involves making any kind of even remotely critical
decision based on what you're hearing. Just don't use them for making
EQ or level balancing decisions. Otherwise they're fine.

Yea!
Just for fun I did a quick eq + mix on a set of 7506's and when played
back through the mains it sounded like someone put a huge sponge in front
of the speakers.
Dull.

I actually prefer my ancient set of MDR V6 phones better as they
seem to have a tamer response.

--
flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Yes, 7506 are terrible for mixing/EQing. I have Beyerdynamic that
is much better for this ... but doesn't fold up like 7506.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, 7506 are terrible for mixing/EQing. I have Beyerdynamic that
is much better for this ... but doesn't fold up like 7506.

I don't like the 7506 either. Try Sennheiser 280s. Or
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ - these have the best isolation I've
encountered so far, and they are very listenable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

Yes, 7506 are terrible for mixing/EQing. I have
Beyerdynamic that is much better for this ... but doesn't
fold up like 7506.

I've switched from 7506s to HD580s and it seems to be a help because the
580s are simply more accurate. However the 580s fail the OP's specs because
they are open-ear. I have a pair of 280s, but they are not as accurate.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I'd like to try those Extremes. I got a different pair of isolation
headphones but found out that they have high impedance so
that I'm going to have to get a headphone amp now just to drive
them. Those Extremes are low impedance, same as the 7506s.
Are the Extremes comfortable? Do they have a tight
clamping force on the head?