Stewart Pinkerton

Default Can a Cambridge Audio A500 drive Magnepans?

On 5 Sep 2003 15:59:04 GMT, AndyB wrote:

I have a Cmabridge Audio A500 integrated amplifier.

I have been getting the urge to upgrade my speakers.

I am wondering if I can adequately power a set of magnepan
speakers with this amp? I was thinking of the little maggies,
the MMGs, but I would like to know what my options are
before I decide.

The amp is rated as follows

Speaker Impedance: 4-16 Ohms
Power Output 65 watts RMS (8 ohms)
(MAX) 85 watts RMS (6 Ohms)

I emailed both companies (Cambridge and Magnepan) and
both companies have opted not to speak for the other
company. Leaving me to guess or "buy and try"

Has anyone done this?

I had Maggie 1Cs, and I found that even an Audiolab 8000P (which puts
out a measured 195 watts into 4 ohms) was struggling to drive those
puppies. Most Maggie owners recommend pretty hefty power amps, up over
the 200 watts into 8 ohms range. Try something like an Adcom 5802 or
similar. Alternatively, a good box speaker of more than 88dB/w/m will
not need a bigger amp than your Cambridge - but won't sound the same
as Maggies! You pays your money, and you takes your choice........

Norman Schwartz

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

I had Maggie 1Cs, and I found that even an Audiolab 8000P (which puts
out a measured 195 watts into 4 ohms) was struggling to drive those
puppies. Most Maggie owners recommend pretty hefty power amps, up over
the 200 watts into 8 ohms range. Try something like an Adcom 5802 or
similar.

Maggie *Tympani* 1Cs? I had them too, and being of 8 ohm resistance were
easily and classically driven by the original ARC D-150, a single D-76a or
perhaps a pair of D-76a's (the latter was considered as being an overkill).
None of those power amps could be considered "hefty" in today's world.