Joseph L. Poe

Default Mike choices- C3000, MD421mk2, AT4040

"normanstrong" wrote in message news:E9NHa.1024190$Zo.233156@sccrnsc03...
"Sugarite" wrote in message
I'm looking at 3 mikes all around the same price. I'm specifically

looking
for a cardiod condensor style mike (and maybe large diaghram).

This is for
recording live situations (in large rooms, indoor/ outdoor

performances,
outdoor sound), some vocal use. There are 3 mikes I'm looking at.

They are
the AKG C3000, Sennheiser MD 421 Mk2, and Audio Technica AT 4040.

I like
the
smooth warm sound if possible. I looked a Neuman and didn't see

anything
in
this price range. Anyone have any opinions on the 3 mikes

mentioned above
and how they sound compared to each other? I'm leaning towards the

AKG or
Sennheiser. The AKG looks like a nice mike. I'm not really

interested in
other brands. Any opinions?

I'm stepping up as the mike I used to use were cheaper dynamic

moving coil
mikes- Audio Technica 818Mk2.

You should be using small diaphram condensers. I do a lot of

location
recording, and here's my list of gear which I researched thoroughly

and
consider to be the most cost-effective:

- Rode NT4 (nice matched small diaphram condenser pair in XY

formation with
battery or phantom power) ~$265
- DBX 386 dual tube mic preamp with built-in 24/96 ADC and digital

peak
limiter ~$325 used (discontinued)
- Behringer MXB1002 battery-powered mixer for when AC isn't

available ~$150
used (discontinued)
- Nomad Jukebox 3 hard-drive recorder $300

I made the mistake of getting a cheap coax/optical converter for

connecting
the 386 to the NJB3, I suspect that with a Midiman CO2 and decent

optical
cable that the NJB3 will handle a 96kHz digital signal! I've

already got it
to accept it, but it's not stable enough yet, damn close though.

And I recommend the NJB3 highly over DAT. I've put about 35 hours

on mine
so far without a hitch, one week I recorded 11 hours while only

having to
recharge the batteries once, and transfered the data to my PC in 20

minutes.

minutes.

You're using the NJB3 as a digital recorder, feeding it with the
output of a dual mike preamp that has a digital output? Tell me more,
please. I'm trying to set up a location recorder myself, only all of
my recordings will be battery operation. Do you feel that feeding the
NJB3 with an analog signal is less desirable?

If you could e-mail me,

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Yup, me too!

I'm about ready to do an audio book project for a friend who's written
a great book and wants to put it on tape/MP3/CD. I've gone round and
round about DAT, mini-disc, harddrive etc. and would like to hear what
you think. I've got about $300 to spend and have been seriously
considering mini-disc.

Thanks

Jody Poe