Dave Martin

Default Wow - Avril Lavigne really cannot sing

Some moron said, while spouting off about matters he doesn't understand:
If you think that bimbo is a talented singer, you have **** between
your ears.

A couple of engineers who I repspect greatly have recorded Shannia (one
pre-Mutt, one with Mutt producing); according to them, she actually IS a
fine singer.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"EggHd" wrote in message ...
Hank,

How do you come up with such funny ****?

The F-o-Matic 2003 has just been re-issued and Hank's got a full clip.

DM

EggHd

For anywhere from two weeks
up to as much as 20 weeks on a hit, the box office forfeits 100% of
the proceeds to the film company.

I'm going to look into this.

---------------------------------------
LeBaron & Alrich

Aaron Johnston wrote:

Well, no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of men who think
with the little head.

That's the only head you've got, Poopsicle. You will be disappearing
from screens around the globe.

--
ha

LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

Hank,

How do you come up with such funny ****?

Damn, here I thought I was being serious. g

TIA

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Artie Turner wrote:

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

And if she stands in front of me and sings a cappela I'll know something
of her singing talent.

I love that song!

It's all in your head, my man.

--
ha
Jerry Steiger

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .
EggHd wrote:

Hank,

How do you come up with such funny ****?

Damn, here I thought I was being serious. g

Yeah, Hank, you're seriously funny!

Jerry Steiger

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"EggHd" wrote in message ...
For anywhere from two weeks
up to as much as 20 weeks on a hit, the box office forfeits 100% of
the proceeds to the film company.

I'm going to look into this.

I managed theatres about 20 years ago... hence my first line disclaimer.
(And I probably should have said 'distributor', which isn't always the parent
company).

DM

---------------------------------------

reddred

"Ted Spencer" wrote in message
It's easier for me to associate Avril Lavigne with a certain image
concept than with a particular sound/musical vibe.

EggHd wrote:

At this point it's about a handful of hits and major video play. Some

segment
of the population is buying her records. She seems to have out sold by a

wide
margin both Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton.

What this means for the long is an unkown.
BRBR

And in case no none remembers, records only sell in big numbers because

people
*listen to them*, not look at them. Over and over and over again. Avril's
*record* connects with her listeners (fans), period. No record company can

sell
more than a (relativley) few records to kids if they don't get into the

music,
no matter how cool the artist's image is. It's been proven thousands of

time
with artists you've never heard of (guess why).

Anyone reading this is no different and neither are any of their friends.

Quick
- think of the last time you recommended an album to a friend primarily

because
of visual or fashion-based considerations. Think all the way back to your

teen
years. I bet it didn't take long to answer "never" did it? What about the

last
time you bought one on someone else's recommendation for the same reasons?

Uh-huh...

Now ask yourself the same question except substitute "because you loved

the
music" for "because of visual or fashion-based considerations" in the

second
paragraph.

See?

Although... you don't see ugly people or people who won't don the
appropriate image in public getting over, because the promotion machine does
indeed involve fashion. But I agree, there needs to be some connection with
the music, or at least with the individual that has to drive the purchase
(young person feels they relate to the person because they relate to the
music, but also they relate to the music because they feel a connection with
that person somehow... that's why interviews help to sell records I
suppose.)

jb

reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
Actually, plenty of 80s haircut bands got my money thanks to fashion.

How did you know which bands to buy? Press MTV radio? Did you see

apicture
and buy and album without hearing the music?

Fashion and image
created a sense that these people shared my perspective, or more often,
existed in some fantasy world I wanted to be a part of.

So you would buy records of any band at a club, good or not, signed or not
based on the way they looked?

Billy Idol would
be a good example of an Avril Lavigne-type who I bit for... The songs
are just tame MOR rock (dude covered Mony Mony for God's sake), but
because of the punk trappings, I ate it up.

Right but Billy Idol had huge radio and MTV hits and was a star in that

time
frame. He looked the same and sounded the same in his prior band

Generation X,
did you buy those records?

What's missing here... on both sides of the discussion.. is the fact that
MTV combined the music with fashion seamlessly. Was it the music alone that
drove Idol's sales or was it the complete package? MTV, radio play, rolling
stone photos, all combined to form a single impression. It was difficult to
hear the music without picturing the other promo material, and vice-versa.

jb

reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
What's missing here... on both sides of the discussion.. is the fact

that
MTV combined the music with fashion seamlessly.

I think that happened when Frank Sinatra made movies, Elvis went on the

new
media TV on Ed Sullivan, Milton berle, Steve Allen etc, and then started

making
movies.

How man people ever say the Beatles other than TV and movies? The British
invasion was all about a sound, a fashion, a new generation. The peoples

made
promo videos as well as did a lot of bands in that era.

MTV made it possible to play clips over and over again and not have to

wait for
your favorite weekly hour long show.

Yeah, the new thing wasn't really combining video with audio... that was
around for a long time. It was doing it in three minute segments, like radio
songs, and making the commercials look like music videos and the music
videos look like commercials.

As much as people love the Beatles' music, it was the whole package that got
them over... half the press was about 'mop tops'.

Even something like the greatful dead or phish.... as much as people want to
claim 'it's about the music' (which as far as the Dead go, I have mixed
feelings), it has just as much to do with the whole package.. the little
symbols, the tie-dyes, and on a more general level the selling of community
as a commodity, it's always great if you can tie a product so thoroughly to
an idea, which IMO was 75 percent of their success.

jb

Bryson

EggHd wrote:
I did. She sounded bad there too. And yes, she was jumping around like she
was on a pogo stick, very stiff and abnormal.

Have you ever watched any of the old UK TV appearances by Black Sabbath?

When you were a kid did you like him jumping like a pogo stick singing out of tune?

Nope, not even when I was a kid. I saw them at Cal Jam (at 15)
and thought he was lame. And I was there for Deep Purple.

Bryson

Mike Turk wrote:

The funny thing is though, the best singer I've worked with told me that he
didn't
rely on the monitors, but that he could hear his voice in his head ... which
is bizarre
to me because I can't hear a damn thing of my own voice once the drums and
guitars are at 'volume'.

-mike

I've had many nights when I couldn't hear myself at all, and
literally relying on muscle memory in my throat to sing on
pitch. I have tapes of some of those nights to prove that it
works. Then I have tapes of nights where I had great
monitors, and my singing was sour.
Like sometimes when I shoot pool, I can run the table non
stop, while other times, I may as well be blindfolded.
Biorhythms......

Tommy B

Those big blue eyes of hers were sure, uh, big & blue.
I did a date or 2 with her in NYC, I think it was at the Warehouse, a
Lucas-McFall date, she was a real pro!
Tom

"Dave Martin" wrote in message
"Ted Spencer" wrote in message

Funny though, that comment, coming from you. I'm always thoroughly

impressed
with the studio singer tracks I get up here from Nashville. I sometimes

find
myself wishing we had singers like that here...

My basis for that assumption came from a singer here in town who was a big
part of the jingle scene in the early 80's, when a certain number of
Nashville singers were quite busy - working here and also flying up to
Chicago once or twice a month for accounts up there - Janie Frickie was

one
of them. She told me that she became so curious about why the New York
jingle singers sounded so good that she moved up there to work and find

out.
I asked her what she learned, and she said that they were simply great
singers...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Roger W. Norman

Well, I'd rather hear Natalie Merchant doing standards than the stuff she
writes, or even Sinead O'Connor (who pulled off a great cut on a George
Martin produced set of standards). But then I really count Mick as being
somewhat musically pidgeonholed by his own tastes, although I know him not
on a personal basis and have never had the opportunity to sit and listen to
music with him. My point was that although he's entertaining, I don't
discount him as a talent, both in singing and in songwriting, and in fact
place his talent above his ability to entertain.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"sgordon" wrote in message
Roger W. Norman wrote:
: Wouldn't want to hear him do some Gershwin,

I wouldn't be so quick to count him out in that regard.
Who would have guessed Rod Stewart could do such a credible
job on old standards?

Scott

EggHd

I managed theatres about 20 years ago... hence my first line disclaimer.

I'm not doubting anything, it's something I have never really looked into.

---------------------------------------

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Bryson wrote:

I've had many nights when I couldn't hear myself at all, and
literally relying on muscle memory in my throat to sing on
pitch. I have tapes of some of those nights to prove that it
works. Then I have tapes of nights where I had great
monitors, and my singing was sour.
Like sometimes when I shoot pool, I can run the table non
stop, while other times, I may as well be blindfolded.
Biorhythms...

What's the best Biorhythm machine?

How much can you spend?

LeBaron & Alrich

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote...

What's the best Biorhythm machine?

How much can you spend?

_Spend_? Can't I just download it??

--
ha
Charles Thomas

In article ,
Aaron Johnston wrote:

u really think Shania is good looking and a good singer?

Both are subjective.

I happen to find her extremely easy on the eyes.

If you've dated someone better looking, let's see the photos.

CT

Roger W. Norman

In answer, at least partly to your question, here's a quote from Maria
Anderssonand from Sahara Hotnights

"Plus, I only practice when we rehearse. You don’t want to be too good, you
see, or you’ll ruin what makes the music interesting"

This kinda says a lot, if not all about how young players today think about
music. Somehow I don't believe my playing mistakes are making things
interesting! g
-

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Ted Spencer" wrote in message
Two thoughts:

1) Many of us work in studios here, right? How many singers have all of

you
worked with who step up to the mic and totally nail take one, even in an

ideal
environment? How many truly excellent singers have you worked with who end

up
doing extensive punching/comping etc. to get the vocal to where they're

happy
with it?

Sorry to have to drag out my creds here (again), but I've worked with

dozens of
pop star singers (check my name on allmusic.com for an - incomplete -

list). I
can count the singers I've recorded on the fingers of one hand that could
basically nail every take. Daryl Hall, Barry Manilow, Gerard Kenny (you
probably haven't heard of him unless you were in England in the late

70's),
and...uh...let me think here...

Even Roberta Flack, one of the very best and most consistent singers I've

ever
had the pleasure of recording, could be way off pitch at times, especially

in
concert. Many others were far worse.

I've never worked with Avril, but I've got her record and saw her Grammy
performance. Sure she uses Auto-Tune; almost everybody with half a budget

does
to an extent these days. Nonetheless she does seem IMHO to be a singer

with
actual chops. She has remarkable phrasing/rhythm (which is usually almost
impossible to teach if it doesn't come naturally), and unusually strong
"acting" ability, if you will. You could also call that "attitude". It's

pretty
rare to find singers who can do this more than a little without it

sounding
forced.

2) No matter who it is, how they sound, or what they represent

artistically, in
current pop culture, WHOEVER is hot(test) at any given moment WILL BE

HATED by
a substantial and vociferous group of people who will expend considerable
effort tearing down the subject's supposedly undeserved fame. THERE ARE NO
EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE, EVER. It applies not only to the hottest pop

stars,
but in the exact same way to whoever is President at any given moment,

whatever
brand of studio monitor is most popular (JBL 4311s, NS10s, Genelecs) and

many
other things. All they have to be is "red hot" and out come the brickbats.

I think people engaging in this kind of bashing should take a good hard

look at
their motivations. We're all entitled to our opinions, which includes

hating
Avril, George W or 1031a's, but doing so is utterly predictable, and rings
pretty hollow since the target is so obvious. The simple fact that the
vehemence exists in direct proportion to the success is the giveaway.

Ok...switching rant mode off now...

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

T. Tauri

reddred wrote:

As much as people love the Beatles' music, it was the whole package that got
them over... half the press was about 'mop tops'.

Even something like the greatful dead or phish.... as much as people
want to claim 'it's about the music' (which as far as the Dead go, I
have mixed feelings), it has just as much to do with the whole
package.. the little symbols, the tie-dyes, and on a more general
level the selling of community as a commodity, it's always great if
you can tie a product so thoroughly to an idea, which IMO was 75
percent of their success.

Sho nuff.

As far as Avril Lavigne: for me, not paying much attention to her for
any reason, it's a case where the image seems far more specific and
developed than the music (at least, I have a clearer notion of what her
style is supposed to represent than I have of what her music is supposed
to represent).

Peece,
T. Tauri

T. Tauri

EggHd wrote:

Well duh, of course not. BUT... given any number of more or less
musically equivalent choices (and there were/are/will be plenty), I
picked one that had an image I related to.

Agreed. Hence all the formats.... Modern, Audlt, Pop, Rock etc.

That's something else. I'm thinking more on a "why coke instead of
pepsi?" tip, than a "why coke instead of sprite?" tip.

Like what allows Alicia Keys to get extra points for playing piano while
Davina (who did far more for her album, playing/programming most
everything) was treated as just another R&B singer? (Well, to me, Keys &
co. really pushed the whole 'sitting at the piano' image to play up her
musicianship, while I never saw anything like that for Davina.)

Why did I opt for Billy Idol's brand of MOR and not some fairly similar
sounding others?

(when I DJ, I
don't have much trouble moving a crowd to any number of
are-and-always-will-be obscurities, but I'm rarely gonna convince
someone to buy that stuff just 'cause they liked the song)

The worst lounge band can get a crowd going with Louie Louie. They
aren't going to buy a record from the band. So we agree.

Seems your agreeing to a different idea than I'm saying here.

but because
the performer as a person (or image of a person anyway) represents
something they identify with or would like to identify with in some more
idealized version of themselves

Right. Someone isn't going to listen to a station that plays Kenny G
if they are into metal.

Again, more on a why coke not pepsi tip...

Why did grunge have a particular fashion aesthetic? Why does hip-hop?
Why rockabilly? It's never ever just about the tunes.

Of course it's about the tunes. There were 150 bands signed that
looked like Nirvana and peral jam and maybe 5 of them sold significant
units. The ones with the best tunes.

You certainly have a lot of faith in the market.

Peece,
T. Tauri

EggHd

You certainly have a lot of faith in the market.

And you believe a few bands out of that era broke over the others because?

---------------------------------------
Bob Olhsson

In article , EggHd
wrote:

It was a scene coming
out of an area that took over the medea...

A "scene" is a critical part of the equation and a new generation of
"media" taking over from the jazz age was another component.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture

T. Tauri

EggHd wrote:

You certainly have a lot of faith in the market.

And you believe a few bands out of that era broke over the others
because?

All kinds of reasons... some owing to music, many not.

Peece,
T. Tauri