Tom Orgad

Default Audiophile 2496 Vs. Mia Midi

Hi all,

This is my first posting to this newgroup. I need some advise
regarding sound cards, and this seems to be the place...please forgive
my shortage of proffesional vocabulary, I'm not very familiar with
most terms.

I'm about to buy a computer for music recording purposes, with an
Athlon 2000+ CPU and Gygabyte GA-7VAXP M-Board. My main instrument is
electric guitar, I'm about to use a Digitech "Genesis 1" as a
recording simulator. I'm still not sure which software I will use. My
aim is to apply a recording software (cakewalk, Cubase etc.), some
sort of computer drums and a midi interface in order to record my
compositions (mostly of the Metal-oriented styles).

Now, I have two possible sound cards to pick from: Audiophile 2496 and
Mia Midi. Regardless of the costs, I was hoping any of you can
recommend me which one is preferable, and why.

Thanks!

Tom Orgad

email:

NDB

I think that overall, Echo's driver stability is a bit better than
M-Audio's. They are both good cards, and their sound quality is very
comparable, so you really can't go wrong. Buy from Musicians Friend and
return it in 45 days if it doesn't meet your needs.

A One-Man Jazz Band? Believe it!
http://www.cosmiccontamination.com

"Tom Orgad" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Steve L.

I think the Mia has balanced I/O's too.
The AP2496 I have does'nt.

"NDB" wrote in message ...
| I think that overall, Echo's driver stability is a bit better than
| M-Audio's. They are both good cards, and their sound quality is very
| comparable, so you really can't go wrong. Buy from Musicians Friend and
| return it in 45 days if it doesn't meet your needs.
|
| --
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| A One-Man Jazz Band? Believe it!
| http://www.cosmiccontamination.com
| -------------------------------------------------------------
|

| "Tom Orgad" wrote in message
| om...
| Hi all,
|
| This is my first posting to this newgroup. I need some advise
| regarding sound cards, and this seems to be the place...please forgive
| my shortage of proffesional vocabulary, I'm not very familiar with
| most terms.
|
| I'm about to buy a computer for music recording purposes, with an
| Athlon 2000+ CPU and Gygabyte GA-7VAXP M-Board. My main instrument is
| electric guitar, I'm about to use a Digitech "Genesis 1" as a
| recording simulator. I'm still not sure which software I will use. My
| aim is to apply a recording software (cakewalk, Cubase etc.), some
| sort of computer drums and a midi interface in order to record my
| compositions (mostly of the Metal-oriented styles).
|
| Now, I have two possible sound cards to pick from: Audiophile 2496 and
| Mia Midi. Regardless of the costs, I was hoping any of you can
| recommend me which one is preferable, and why.
|
| Thanks!
|
| Tom Orgad
|
| email:

Arny Krueger

"Tom Orgad" wrote in message
[...]

The AP2496 is a card for consumers. People who record from CD players, tape
outputs, etc. but mostly playback.

The Mia is desiged for use in an audio production environment, and has input
and output levels to match. They are far higher than the highest the AP2496
can go.

So what sort of equipment are you going to hook this sound card up to and
what are you going to do with it?

Tom Orgad

Thanks for your reply.

I'm about to purchase a computer with Athlon 2000+ CPU and Gygabyte
GA-7VAXP M-Board in order to start recording my compositions. I'm a
guitar player, dealing mostly with Metal music.

Tom

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Tom Orgad" wrote in message
[...]

Stephen Adams

I have the Audiophile 2496 installed in my Mac G4 system, and although
the card itself seems handle signals very cleanly, I have issues with
the software driver that controls it. YMMV with Windows drivers.

I would be hesitant to use this card in a professional recording
situation, but as a component integrating computers and hifi equipment,
it's not bad.