Posted to rec.audio.opinion
RapidRonnie RapidRonnie is offline

Default Audio Dealer Follies

One thing dealers love to do is to find particular records that sound
"good" on particular speakers. Of course, the sound isn't "good" if
fidelity is the goal necessarily, but it catches people's attention.

It was true in 1964 and it's true today.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"RapidRonnie" wrote in message
One thing dealers love to do is to find particular
records that sound "good" on particular speakers. Of
course, the sound isn't "good" if fidelity is the goal
necessarily, but it catches people's attention. It was true in 1964 and
it's true today.

I saw this one year at the NY Hifi Show, which had a
disproportionate representation of SET (single ended
triode) setups, which were paired to speakers with poor
treble response. Many of these speakers rolled over at 12
kHz, with nothing over 15. The SET amplifiers provided
high harmonic distortion, and an artificial sheen on the
treble. With these characteristics, considerable thought
was required to demonstrate the the virtues. To a man,
and I recall NO EXCEPTIONS, female vocals were used to
demo the material.

To be a little more clear, the recordings of choice are solo female vocals
with minimal instrumental support. Thus the inhamonic IM that comes with the
allegedly ephonic 2nd harmonic nonlinear distoriton is minimized.

Later, I had one well regarded set of similar speakers
over at my house for a listen. They consisted of
pyramidal mid-tweets on top of bass enclosures. They were
impressively solid and beautifully finished, which
tempted. But sadly, they were as colored as the specs and
the intended use suggested. I could not justify having a
set of speakers around for the singular purpose of
listening to Diana Crawl.

Why I laugh when mental midgets like ****R and Harry Lame-O try to abuse me
for not basing my speaker purchasing decisions on audio store demos? If you
want to understand a speaker take it home and listen to it for a few weeks.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
..

Why I laugh when mental midgets like ****R and Harry Lame-O try to abuse
me for not basing my speaker purchasing decisions on audio store demos?
If you want to understand a speaker take it home and listen to it for a
few weeks.

Still not acknowledging the fact that you SAID that you based the decision
on the recommendation of friends. No mention of in-home listening until
after I "called" you on it. Dishonesty, they name is Arny.

p.s. for the reocord I have NEVER suggested anybody should buy based on an
in-store demo....only that it is a logical step in the screening process.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo said:

p.s. for the reocord I have NEVER suggested anybody should buy based on an
in-store demo

If you never suggested it, why are you denying that you ever suggested
it? The protocols of the "debating trade" suggest you're covering up a
lie here. Stop lying, Harry. Arnii will have an envy spasm if you tell
any number of lies. And you wouldn't want to be responsible for Arnii
spasming himself into an extra chruch service, would you?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

.

Why I laugh when mental midgets like ****R and Harry
Lame-O try to abuse me for not basing my speaker
purchasing decisions on audio store demos? If you want
to understand a speaker take it home and listen to it
for a few weeks.

Still not acknowledging the fact that you SAID that you
based the decision on the recommendation of friends.

Note that Harry Lame-O doesn't say which decision I said that was.

In fact the decision I was talking about was the decision to buy, not the
decission to keep.

Harry would like you to believe that I let my friends choose my speakers for
me. I guess that might be a case of Harry externalizing.

No mention of in-home listening until after I "called" you
on it.

Sue me for presuming that you had common sense, Harry.

Dishonesty, they name is Arny.

No, but I often make the mistake of overestimating people's inteliigence.
Harry, I've long thought that you could be outgunned mentally by a
well-equipped carrot, but comments like the ones above are making me start
to doubt that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Anybody who remembers that part of the thread in context is now laughing
their ass off at you, Arny.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, here's an opportunity for Harry to salve his wounded ego by inviting a
bunch of other losers to pile on.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Signal" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

I often make the mistake of overestimating people's
inteliigence.

Charity begins at home. :-)

How many kids do you have who have earned PhDs, Paul?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

" Audio Dealer Follies
by "Arny Krueger" May 20, 2008 at 09:02 AM

[...]

allegedly euphonic 2nd harmonic nonlinear distoriton is minimized."

I think that's true. My dealer-spankers are the specialized pro audio
recital discs like the Boston Pre Party and 3D Mic CD/ 3D Pre CD, as well
as good male-female duet vocals with acoustic string instruments and brass
band pieces.

In my opinion, on solo female vocals, a lot of small two ways will blow
away other better choices for all around repertoire.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html