Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix

Default "Vintage", "Classic" SCSI CD Burner for Mac?

Hi y'all,
I'm looking all over the place for a replacement external 50 pin SCSI
CD burner for my old Mac 9600 G3, on which I still run my Protools TDM
system. I'd like a burner that writes 8x or 12x. My current one is 2x
and takes forever. I know, time to upgrade, but other than the CD
burning, the system runs great as is.
You'd think there would be a bunch of these SCSI burners available for
cheap, but I can't find nuttin'. Apparently they're now "rare",
"vintage" gear! Do they have tubes in them or something? :) Any
advice, or anyone got one they'd be willing to sell?
Thanks, Rick.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia

In article .com,
"rickymix" wrote:

Hi y'all,
I'm looking all over the place for a replacement external 50 pin SCSI
CD burner for my old Mac 9600 G3, on which I still run my Protools TDM
system. I'd like a burner that writes 8x or 12x. My current one is 2x
and takes forever. I know, time to upgrade, but other than the CD
burning, the system runs great as is.
You'd think there would be a bunch of these SCSI burners available for
cheap, but I can't find nuttin'. Apparently they're now "rare",
"vintage" gear! Do they have tubes in them or something? :) Any
advice, or anyone got one they'd be willing to sell?
Thanks, Rick.

They are on ebay all the time dirt cheap.

If you are also running MasterlistCD, be sure to get a compatible one.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix

Hi David!
Yeah, I just got back from eBay, where I found about 5 used ones, after
figuring out how to screen out all the USB and Firewire and Windows
burners. You'd think there would be a bunch of New-Old-Stock ones
somewhere, but I can't find 'em.
The best used ones on eBay looked like the "Yamaha 8X CRW-8424 SCSI".
Do you happen to know if those run MasterlistCD?
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. Hey David, have you gotten a "Miracle Tortilla" and copy of our
new CD, "Jesus In A Tortilla" by the Bucky Burro Band yet? Send me
your snail-mail address and I'll send you a free care package from Road
Apple Records, my label! This CD has the stereo versions of "Sex
Donkey" and "Boogerama" on it, which I think I still owe you from the
first r.a.p. compilation. :) Cheers, Rick.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

rickymix wrote:
Hi David!
Yeah, I just got back from eBay, where I found about 5 used ones, after

I used to have a Ricoh SCSI CD burner. Had very good luck with it. Sadly
it got tossed when that computer got tossed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
danger

On 2 Feb 2006 19:42:15 -0800, "rickymix"
wrote:

Hi y'all,
I'm looking all over the place for a replacement external 50 pin SCSI
CD burner for my old Mac 9600 G3, on which I still run my Protools TDM
system. I'd like a burner that writes 8x or 12x. My current one is 2x
and takes forever. I know, time to upgrade, but other than the CD
burning, the system runs great as is.
You'd think there would be a bunch of these SCSI burners available for
cheap, but I can't find nuttin'. Apparently they're now "rare",
"vintage" gear! Do they have tubes in them or something? :) Any
advice, or anyone got one they'd be willing to sell?
Thanks, Rick.

I have several Plextor bare SCSI drives. These are the best that you
could buy. If you are intererested email me off the list at
remove the x

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bbrent

wrote:

I have several Plextor bare SCSI drives. These are the best that you
could buy. If you are intererested email me off the list at
remove the x

I'll confirm this - I have two exterl plextor SCSI drives - and they
have never
failed - they have the added benefit of being able to track CD that
other
drives have difficulty with.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

rickymix wrote:

Yeah, I just got back from eBay, where I found about 5 used ones, after
figuring out how to screen out all the USB and Firewire and Windows
burners. You'd think there would be a bunch of New-Old-Stock ones
somewhere, but I can't find 'em.

If I were you (I'd be able to surf...) I'd post a note to DAW-Mac asking
for SCSI burner pointers.

ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia

In article .com,
"rickymix" wrote:

Hi David!
Yeah, I just got back from eBay, where I found about 5 used ones, after
figuring out how to screen out all the USB and Firewire and Windows
burners. You'd think there would be a bunch of New-Old-Stock ones
somewhere, but I can't find 'em.
The best used ones on eBay looked like the "Yamaha 8X CRW-8424 SCSI".
Do you happen to know if those run MasterlistCD?
Cheers, Rick.

Yes, if you are running MLCD 2.4. If you have MLCD 2.2, then you need a
6x (or slower) Yamaha burner.

You can find the full compatibility list at Digi's website.

And thanks for the offer of the CD. I'm embarrassed to say that I have a
pile of CD's given to me by folks over the past year that I yet to
unwrap and listen to. This only makes sense when you realize all the
time I spend listening on the job. Usually when I come home, I just
wanna hang with my family. They are a ton of fun.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia

MLCD 2.4 burner info is he

http://www.digidesign.com/support/co...CDSpecGrid.pdf

I have the 2.2 list around somewhere if you need it. It may also be at
Digi's site.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix

Thanks everyone for your help! Looks like I'm going to pick up a spare
CD burner from Mark@hisplace this week. If that doesn't work out for
some reason I'll bug y'all some more.

David wrote:
thanks for the offer of the CD. I'm embarrassed to say that I have a

pile of CD's given to me by folks over the past year that I yet to
unwrap and listen to. This only makes sense when you realize all the
time I spend listening on the job.

No problem David. I know exactly what you mean. I never listen to CDs
either, including my own, because I've got so much music constantly
going on inside my head. But I did enjoy a CD that Scott Dorsey sent
me a few months ago which had some weird Firk/Filk/Trekkie sci-fi music
on it. Some of that stuff was as whacky as my own! Pretty cool.
Cheers, Rick.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:29:21 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

rickymix wrote:

Yeah, I just got back from eBay, where I found about 5 used ones, after
figuring out how to screen out all the USB and Firewire and Windows
burners. You'd think there would be a bunch of New-Old-Stock ones
somewhere, but I can't find 'em.

If I were you (I'd be able to surf...) I'd post a note to DAW-Mac asking
for SCSI burner pointers.

ha

Got an old Yamaha SCSI burner with low mileage for ya.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bbrent

found this on craigslist

10 SCSI CD-ROM drives, free

Reply to:
Date: 2006-02-04, 5:32PM EST

OFFER: 10 SCSI CD-ROM drives, free. (location: Pelham,NY)

this is in or around Town of Pelham