Lawrence Leung

Default SACD player - multi-channel setup?

Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect! So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

Is it going to like that or what?

Lawrence Leung

Steven Sullivan

Lawrence Leung wrote:
Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect! So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

What's coming over the digital cable when you play DVD-A, are the Dolby
Digital tracks, not the DVD-Audio tracks. Similarly, the digital
cablew ill pass a CD layer of a hybrid SACD , but not the SACD tracks.

For DVD-A and SACD, you have to use an analog connection...unless you
buy some very expensive player/receiver combos that use iLink.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Wilson Grava

Sorry to say that you have been listening to the DVD-video-compatible track
of your DVD-audios which is arguably worse than regular CD. Both DVD-A and
SACD have to connect through analog cables (6) to regular receivers, unless
you have a proprietary connection method like in the Meridians. Reason is
the Hollywood and RIAA paranoia about copyright infringements.

"Lawrence Leung" wrote in message
Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect!

So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

Is it going to like that or what?

Lawrence Leung

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:40:40 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect! So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

Of course. SACD output, stereo or multichannel, is only available at
the analog outputs. You need 6 (5+.1) analog connector to the
receiver.

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

But you only get DVD-A digital output in stereo; for multichannel you
still need the 6 analog interconnects.

Is it going to like that or what?

It is. (Newer equipment is coming along with a solution.)

Kal
Bruce Abrams

Due to copy protection neurosis, the SACD standard does not provide for
digital output of the DSD signal. I don't believe that any SACD players are
therefore capable of outputing SACD over a digital cable.

"Lawrence Leung" wrote in message
Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect!

So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

Is it going to like that or what?

Lawrence Leung

Long Rod Penetrator

Lawrence Leung wrote:

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect! So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

Is it going to like that or what?

Lawrence Leung

With the exception of a couple proprietary connections (exclusive to
Pioneer and Denon, I think), all SACD and DVD-A players use
multichannel analog outputs. Your receiver must have a multichannel
analog input to receive the hi-res output from any SACD/DVD-A player.

Beware, too, that when you use the player's analog outs that you'll
bypass your receiver's bass-management/level-trim/time-delay settings.
These functions are probably supported by your player, although few,
if any, players support digital time delay for SACD (it's a hangup
with Sony, I think).

Meanwhile, if you've been having "no problem" playing DVD-A disks via
a digital connection, that's because most (all?) DVD-A disks include a
Dolby Digital mix, which is file-compressed and is of lower quality
than CD. This mix is specifically intended to provide backward
compatibility to DVD players that do not support DVD-A. I don't thnk
you've been hearing the DVD-A mix at all.

// Gary

Harry Lavo

"Lawrence Leung" wrote in message
Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect!

So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

Is it going to like that or what?

Lawrence Leung

Hello Lawrence -

If your receiver doesn't have six multichannel RCA inputs with a straight
analog bypass, you are out of luck except for a stereo signal (which you can
obtain from the separate stereo output or the front channel jacks). Most
receivers built in the last 2-1/2-to-3 years have these; earlier ones it is
far less likely.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.

Harry

Lawrence Leung

Hey, thanks for all the replies!

The universal player does has the 5.1 channel audio output, and the
receiver that I have does has the 5.1 channel audio input.

I guess I then need to get another two pairs of interconnect to hook them
all up. Any special requirement for those cables? 75 Ohm or something just
plain RCA?

I am going to try it tonight, longing to hear the significant difference.

So, for SACD, if I want to play stereo, no problem, just hook up the left
and right output to a left and right input on a pre-amp/processor/receiver;
but for multi-channel, I have to have six interconnect to hook them up? Am
I about right?

Thanks again.

Lawrence Leung

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:53:40 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

I guess I then need to get another two pairs of interconnect to hook them
all up. Any special requirement for those cables? 75 Ohm or something just
plain RCA?

Regular audio interconnects.

So, for SACD, if I want to play stereo, no problem, just hook up the left
and right output to a left and right input on a pre-amp/processor/receiver;
but for multi-channel, I have to have six interconnect to hook them up? Am
I about right?

Yes.

Kal

Kalman Rubinson

On 20 Feb 2004 16:52:25 GMT, Bruce Abrams
wrote:

Due to copy protection neurosis, the SACD standard does not provide for
digital output of the DSD signal. I don't believe that any SACD players are
therefore capable of outputing SACD over a digital cable.

Well, not over the usual digital outputs that are familiar. There are
several that use a proprietary and/or encrypted interface.

Kal

Steven Sullivan

Lawrence Leung wrote:
Hey, thanks for all the replies!

The universal player does has the 5.1 channel audio output, and the
receiver that I have does has the 5.1 channel audio input.

I guess I then need to get another two pairs of interconnect to hook them
all up. Any special requirement for those cables? 75 Ohm or something just
plain RCA?

I am going to try it tonight, longing to hear the significant difference.

So, for SACD, if I want to play stereo, no problem, just hook up the left
and right output to a left and right input on a pre-amp/processor/receiver;
but for multi-channel, I have to have six interconnect to hook them up? Am
I about right?

It depends. Use the digital out to play the stereo CD layer. FOr the stereo
SACD or DVD-A tracks, where you must use analog, and if your player is set up to
do bass management, the followign setups won't work, because
the bass will be lost:

a) L/R of 6-channel panel out to L/R of 6-channel panel in
b) L/R of 6-channel panel out to dedicated 2-channel L/R in
c) (b) plus SUB of 6-channel panel out to SUB of 6-channel panel in

but this *will* work

d) (a) plus SUB of 6 channel panel out to SUB of 6-channel panel in

and this *should* work , assuming your player does not try to 'bass manage'
its two-channel outputs:

d) L/R of decidated 2-channel out to L/R of dedicated 2-channel in.

In the case of (d) your receiver has to do the bass management.

If you aren't using a subwoofer, then connections are more straighforward.
Any (front) L/R out to any L/R in should work.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Charles Tomaras

Hey, thanks for all the replies!

The universal player does has the 5.1 channel audio output, and the
receiver that I have does has the 5.1 channel audio input.

Lawrence... tell us which player and which receiver you are using so those
with specific knowledge of those units can better comment about bass
management and other hardware specific issues you may encounter. These units
are all so different in their capabilities these days that it's difficult to
give you definitive answers without knowing what you are using.

Keithw

Hey,
Are you saying that even if I have a DD/DTS receiver that has 24b/192khz
DACS that it won't understand the SACD and/or DVD-A stream. keithw...

wrote:

Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect!

So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

Of course. SACD output, stereo or multichannel, is only available at
the analog outputs. You need 6 (5+.1) analog connector to the
receiver.

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

But you only get DVD-A digital output in stereo; for multichannel you
still need the 6 analog interconnects.

Is it going to like that or what?

Steven Sullivan

Keithw wrote:
Hey,
Are you saying that even if I have a DD/DTS receiver that has 24b/192khz
DACS that it won't understand the SACD and/or DVD-A stream. keithw...

Unless you have one of the very few all-digital SACD/DVD-A setups
now available, your player simply won't pass SACD or DVD-A *digitally*, so
it doesn't really matter what your receiver's DACs can do.
Currently 99.9% of setups convert the SACD and DVD-A to analog
first, then pass it through analog connections, bypassing the
receiver's DAC.

wrote:

[...]

Kalman Rubinson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:07:22 GMT, "Keithw" wrote:

Hey,
Are you saying that even if I have a DD/DTS receiver that has 24b/192khz
DACS that it won't understand the SACD and/or DVD-A stream.

The player will not send the correct signals and, even if it did, the
receiver would not process them. A specialized interface is required,
although more for legal than technical reasons.

Kal

wrote:

Hi,

All of a sudden, I want to locate my SACD player to my another HT room
using a receiver, but it happened that I cannot use the digital cable
(either coaxial or optical) to play SACD, I have to use an interconnect!

So
how on earth can I have multi-channel?

Of course. SACD output, stereo or multichannel, is only available at
the analog outputs. You need 6 (5+.1) analog connector to the
receiver.

The player is a universal player which can play SACD and DVD-A, I have no
problem playing DVD-A using digital cable, but just that SACD...

But you only get DVD-A digital output in stereo; for multichannel you
still need the 6 analog interconnects.

Is it going to like that or what?

Charles Tomaras

"Keithw" wrote in message
Hey,
Are you saying that even if I have a DD/DTS receiver that has

24b/192khz
DACS that it won't understand the SACD and/or DVD-A stream. keithw...

If your receiver has 24/192 DAC's those are PCM not DSD.