Andrew M.

Default Troubleshooting Microphone Failure

I have no idea about using a multimeter but have you tried plugging it
into a known working mic pre?

Craig Cordts wrote:

I have an Octava MK-219 mic the quit working. Anyone have any
suggestions on how to trouble shoot this thing with a multimeter ?

Craig at ravlink.net

Mark Billinson

Carey Carlan wrote in message .10...
"Andrew M." wrote in
news
I have no idea about using a multimeter but have you tried plugging it
into a known working mic pre?

Using a known working cable?

Craig at ravlink.net

I have a pair of AKG 414 TLII's, which were working perfectly until
last week, when one just died. Passed no signal. I was using them as
drum overheads, so I switched positions for the pair, swapped cables,
pre's. NFG. Sooooooo, I could also benefit from any assistance in
how to check out a dead Mic. Failing that, to whom would the group
send an ailing 414? I have no desire to try my luck with AKG again.
I sent them my C12VR a few years back, and they told me after 3 months
that it needed a tube. After their "tech support" had told me it
wasn't the tube.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Craig Cordts

Scott - By saying test probe, are you talking about my multi meter ?

By the way, I love your articles in Recording.

First change out all the Ulyanov capacitors because they always go bad
and you can't do any real diagnosis with them leaky. Then just get out
a test probe tied to the bench ground and use it as a signal injector to
put hum into each stage in turn until you hear hum coming out of the output.

Until you change the caps the voltages will not match the ones in the manual
because they are leaky as shipped.

Scott Dorsey

Craig Cordts wrote:
Scott - By saying test probe, are you talking about my multi meter ?

No, just a probe. Take the cord off the meter, tie one end to ground,
and now you have a handy signal generator that can inject 60 Hz trash
into any place you want.

If you want to be fancy you can use a signal generator with a 10K
series resistor and a probe, but in a pinch, a probe will do the trick.

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Your Add Here! wrote:
I've got a gold colored AT kick drum (circa 1980's) mic that died.
Anyone think this is worth repairing.

Which one is it?